Of Dogs and Men: The Making of Spatial Boundaries in a Gentrifying Neighborhood
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2011
© 2011 American Sociological Association
City & Community
Volume 10, Issue 3, pages 265–284, September 2011
How to Cite
Tissot, S. (2011), Of Dogs and Men: The Making of Spatial Boundaries in a Gentrifying Neighborhood. City & Community, 10: 265–284. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6040.2011.01377.x
- Issue published online: 17 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2011
- 1990. The Sexual Politics of Meat: a Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory. New York : Continuum. .
- 1992. “Gender and Space: Lesbians and Gay Men in the City. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 16:24–34. , and .
- American Veterinary Medical Association. 2006. U.S. Pet Ownership & Demographics Sourcebook, Schaumburg . IL : Membership & Field Services.
- 1990. Street Wise. Class and Change in an Urban Community. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. .
- 2004. The Pursuit of Fairness: A History of Affirmative Action. Oxford : Oxford University Press. .
- 2005. Gentrification in a Global Context: The New Urban Colonialism. London ; New York : Routledge , and . (ed).
- 1988. The Moral Order of a Suburb. New York : Oxford University Press. .
- 2005. “Divided over Diversity: Political Discourse in a Chicago Neighborhood,” City & Community, 4(2):143–70. .
- 1986. Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgment of Taste. London : Routledge & Kegan Paul. .
- 2009. A Neighborhood that Never Changes: Gentrification, Social Preservation, and the Search for Authenticity. Chicago : Chicago University Press. .
- 2006. “Super-Gentrification in Barnsbury, London. Globalization and Gentrifying Global Elites at the Neighborhood Level. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 31(4):467–87. , and .
- 2000. “Community and Civic Culture: The Rotary Club in France and the United States.” Pp. 213–28 in Michèle Lamont and Laurent Thévenot. (Eds.), Rethinking Comparative Cultural Sociology: Repertoires of Evaluation in France and in the United States. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. .
- 1994. City Form and Everyday Life: Toronto's Gentrification and Critical Social Practice. Toronto : University of Toronto Press. .
- 1994. Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture, and the Making of the Gay Male World, 1890–1940. New York : Basic Books. .
- 2003. A Consumers’ Republic: the Politics of Mass Consumption in Postwar America. New York : A. A. Knopf. .
- 2006. City of Quartz: Excavating the Future in Los Angeles. London ; New York : Verso. .
- 1999. Sidewalk. New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux. .
- 1999. “Talking City Trouble: Interactional Vandalism, Social Inequality, and the “Urban Interaction Problem. American Journal of Sociology, 104(5):1263–95. , and .
- 2002. The Rise of the Creative Class and How it's Transforming Work, Leisure, Community and Everyday Life. New York : Basic Books. .
- 2000. “A Space for Place in Sociology. Annual Review of Sociology, 26:463–96. .
- 2003. The American Class Structure in an Age of Growing Inequality. Belmont : Wadsworth Publishing. .
- 2004. “It's a Dog's Life: Elevating Status from Pet to ‘Fur Baby’ at Yappy Hour. Society and Animals, 12(2):117–35. .
- 1963. Behavior in Public Places: Notes on the Social Organization of Gatherings. New York : Free Press. .
- 1993. Inside Culture: Art and Class in the American Home. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. .
- 1991. “The Blind Men and the Elephant: The Explanation of Gentrification. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 16(2):173–89. .
- 1975. Tearoom Trade: Impersonal Sex in Public Places. New York : Aldine. .
- 2004. If You Tame Me: Understanding Our Connection with Animals. Philadelphia : Temple University Press. .
- 1961. The Death and Life of Great American Cities. New York : Vintage Books. .
- 2005. “Our Animals, Our Selves? Chipping Away the Human–Animal Divide. Sociological Forum, 20(4):651–60. .
- 2007. “Animal Practices, Ethnicity, and Community: The Turkish Pigeon Handlers of Berlin. American Sociological Review, 72:874–94. .
- 2007. “Democracy versus Distinction: A Study of Omnivorousness in Gourmet Food Writing. American Journal of Sociology, 113(1):165–204. , and .
- 1994. The Beast in the Boudoir: Petkeeping in Nineteenth Century Paris. Berkeley : University of California Press. .
- 1992. Money, Morals, and Manners: The Culture of the French and American Upper-Middle Class. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. .
- 2002. “The Study of Boundaries in the Social Sciences. American Review of Sociology, 28:167–95. , and
- 1998. “Urban Renaissance and the Street: Spaces of control and contestation.” Pp. 236–53 in Nicholas R. Fyfe (ed), Images of the Streets: Planning, Identity and Control in Public Space. London ; New York : Routledge. .
- 2003. “Super-Gentrification. The Case of Brooklyn Heights, New York City. Urban Studies, 40(12):2487–2509. .
- 2000. “A Reappraisal of Gentrification: Towards a ‘Geography of Gentrification'. Progress in Human Geography, 24(1):389–408. .
- 2008. Gentrification. London : Routledge. , , and .
- 1996. The New Middle Class and the Remaking of the Central City. Oxford : Oxford University Press. .
- 2006. Neo-Bohemia: Art and Commerce in the Postindustrial City. New York : London : Routledge. .
- 2000. Selling the Lower East Side: Culture, Real Estate, and Resistance in New York City. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press. .
- 1983. “Social Facilitation of Contact With Other People by Pet Dogs.” Pp. 37–46 in Aaron Honori Katcher and Alan M. Beck (Eds.), New Perspectives on Our Lives with Companion Animals. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press. .
- 1995. “Family Togetherness and the Suburban Ideal. Sociological Forum, 10:393–418. .
- 2003. The Right to the City: Social Justice and the Fight for Public Space. New York : Guilford Press. .
- 2007. Turf Wars. Discourse, Diversity, and the Politics of Place. Malden , MA : Blackwell. .
- 2006. “Critical Pet Studies?. Antipode, 38:894–906. .
- New Strategist Publications. 2004. Who's Buying for Pets. Ithaca , NY : New Strategist Publications.
- 2010. Common Ground?: Readings and Reflections on Public Space. New York : Routledge. , and .
- 2007. Black on the Block: The Politics of Race and Class in the City. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. .
- 2000. Animal Spaces, Beastly Places. New York : Routledge. , and eds.
- 1987. The Animal Estate: the English and Other Creatures in the Victorian Age. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press. .
- 1991. “Dogs and Their People: Pet-Facilitated Interaction in a Public Setting.” Journal of Contemporary Ethnography, 20(1):3–25. , , and .
- 1993. “If Lions Could Speak: Investigating the Animal-Human Relationship and the Perspectives of Nonhuman. The Sociological Quarterly, 34(3):377–90. , and .
- 2003. Diminished Democracy: From Membership to Management in American Civil Life. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press. .
- 1996. The New Urban Frontier: Gentrification and the Revanchist City. London . New York : Routledge. .
- 2008. Not in My Front Yard: The Use of Neighborhood Appearance in the Construction of Moral Boundaries. Thesis, Department of Sociology , Harvard University, Cambridge , MA . .
- 1993. The Hidden Life of Dogs. Boston : Houghton Mifflin Company. .
- 1984. Dominance and Affection: The Making of Pets. New Haven and London : Yale University Press. .
- 2000. “Managing the Stigma of Outlaw Breeds: A Case Study of Pit Bull Owners. Society and Animals, 8(1):25–52. , , and .
- US Census Bureau 2005. US Census 2006. Economic Survey, Income Data. Washington , DC : U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 2007. The Theory of the Leisure Class. New York : Oxford University Press. .
- 2008. “Relocating Gentrification: The Working Class, Science and the State in Recent Urban Research. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 32(1):198–205. .
- 1998. Animal Geographies. New York : Verso. , and , eds.
- 1981. Pricing the Priceless Child: the Changing Social Value of Children. New York : Basic Books. .
- 1995. “Public Space.” Pp. 24–38 in Lewis Mumford (Ed.), The Culture of Cities. Cambridge : Blackwell. .
- 1988. Loft living: Culture and Capital in Urban Change. London : Radius. .
- 2008. “Consuming Authenticity: From Outposts of Difference to Means of Exclusion. Cultural Studies, 22(5):724–48. .
- 2009. “New Retail Capital and Neighborhood Change: Boutiques and Gentrification in New York City. City & Community, 8(1):47–64. , , , , , and .