Collaboration Processes: Inside the Black Box
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2006
Public Administration Review
Volume 66, Issue Supplement s1, pages 20–32, December 2006
How to Cite
Thomson, A. M. and Perry, J. L. (2006), Collaboration Processes: Inside the Black Box. Public Administration Review, 66: 20–32. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2006.00663.x
- Issue published online: 9 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2006
- 2003. Collaborative Public Management: New Strategies for Local Governments. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press. , and .
- 1995. How Organizations Act Together: Interorganizational Coordination in Theory and Practice. Australia: Gordon and Breach. .
- 1993. Organizations Working Together. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 1984. The Evolution of Cooperation. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 1997. The Complexity of Cooperation: Agent-Based Models of Competition and Collaboration. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 1998. Getting Agencies to Work Together: The Practice and Theory of Managerial Craftsmanship. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press. .
- 2002. Partnership for International Development: Rhetoric or Results? Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner. .
- 2005. Inter-Organizational Collaborations for Public Service Delivery: A Framework of Preconditions, Processes, and Perceived Outcomes. Paper presented at the 2005 ARNOVA Conference, November 17–19, Washington, DC. , and .
- 1996. Integrating Variable Risk Preferences, Trust, and Transaction Cost Economics. Academy of Management Review 21(1): 73–96. ., and .
- 1995. Collaborative Leadership and Shared Decision Making: Teachers, Principals, and University Professors. New York: Teachers College Press. , , , , and .
- 1996. Collaborative Working and the Issue of Sustainability. In Creating Collaborative Advantage, edited by ChrisHuxham, 80–100. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. .
- 2005. Leadership for the Common Good: Tackling Public Problems in a Shared Power World. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. ., and .
- 1996. The Organizational Trust Inventory. In Trust in Organizations, edited by Roderick M.Kramer and Tom R.Tyler, 302–30. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 1996. Utilizing Stakeholder Strategies for Positive Collaborative Outcomes. In Creating Collaborative Advantage, edited by ChrisHuxham, 152–64. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. .
- 2001. Development of Cooperation in Regional Networks: Mechanisms of Coordination and Support Measures. In Collaborative Strategies and Multi-Organizational Partnerships, edited by TharsTaillieu, 67–72. Leuven, Belgium: Grant. , and .
- 1989. Collaborating: Finding Common Ground for Multiparty Problems. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. .
- 2000. Assessing Inter-Organizational Collaboration: Multiple Conceptions and Multiple Methods. In Cooperative Strategy: Economic, Business, and Organizational Issues, edited by DavidFaulkner and Mark deRond, 243–60. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 1991. Collaborative Alliances: Moving from Practice to Theory. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 27(2): 3–22. , and .
- John W.Slocum, and . 1986. Organizational Behavior. 4th ed. New York: West. ,
- 1996. On the Theory and Practice of Transformational Collaboration: From Social Service to Social Justice. In Creating Collaborative Advantage, edited by ChrisHuxham, 19–43. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. .
- 1996. Collaboration and Collaborative Advantage. In Creating Collaborative Advantage, edited by ChrisHuxham, 1–18. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. .
- 1992. Introducing Collaborative Advantage: Achieving Interorganizational Effectiveness through Meta-Strategy. Management Decision 30(3): 50–56. , and .
- 2000. Ambiguity, Complexity, and Dynamics in the Membership of Collaboration. Human Relations 53(6): 771–801. , and .
- 2005. Managing to Collaborate: The Theory and Practice of Collaborative Advantage. New York: Routledge. , and .
- 1986. The Manager as Negotiator: Bargaining for Cooperation and Competitive Gain. New York: Free Press. , and .
- 1961. Exchange as a Conceptual Framework for the Study of Inter-Organizational Relationships. Administrative Science Quarterly 5(4): 581–601. , and .
- 1991. Interests and Interdependence in the Formation of Problem-Solving Collaborations. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 27(1): 23–37. .
- 1989. Rediscovering Institutions: The Organizational Basis of Politics. New York: Free Press. , and .
- 1992. Collaboration—What Makes It Work. St. Paul, MN: Amherst H. Wilder Foundation. , and .
- 1995. The Appeal and Difficulties of Participative Systems. Organization Science 6(6): 603–27. , , and .
- 1977. Institutional Organizations: Formal Structure in Myth and Ceremony. American Journal of Sociology 83(2): 341–63. , and .
- 1971. The Logic of Collective Action: Public Goods and the Theory of Groups. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. .
- 2005. Paradox and Collaboration in Coalition Work. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, August 5–10, Honolulu, HI. , and .
- 1990. Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1998. A Behavioral Approach to the Rational Choice Theory of Collective Action American Political Science Review 92(1): 1–22. .
- 1996. Rational Choice and the Public Management of Inter-Organizational Networks. In The State of Public Management, edited by Donald F.Kettl and H.Brinton Milward, 241–63. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. .
- 1997. Treating Networks Seriously: Practical and Research-Based Agendas in Public Administration. Public Administration Review 57(1): 45–52. .
- 2005. Managing Upward, Downward, and Outward: Networks, Hierarchical Relationships, and Performance. Public Management Review 7(1): 45–68. , , and .
- 1991. Supra-Organizational Collaboration: The Canadian Environmental Experiment. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 27(1): 38–64. .
- 2004. Civic Service: What Difference Does It Make? Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe. , and .
- 1997. New Directions for Organization Theory: Problems and Prospects. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 1978. The External Control of Organizations: A Resource Dependence Perspective. New York: Harper & Row. , and .
- 1990. Neither Market nor Hierarchy: Network Forms of Organization. In Research in Organizational Behavior, vol. 12, edited by Barry M.Staw and Larry L.Cummings, 295–336. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press. .
- 1984. Implementation: How Great Expectations in Washington Are Dashed in Oakland. 3rd ed. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and .
- 1996. Managing across Boundaries. In The State of Public Management, edited by and H.Brinton Milward, 145–67. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. .
- 1996. New Governance for Rural America: Creating Intergovernmental Partnerships. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Understanding and Managing Public Organizations. 3rd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. .
- 1994. Development Processes of Cooperative Interorganizational Relationships. Academy of Management Review 19(1): 90–118. , and .
- 1991. Stakeholder Collaboration and Innovation: A Study of Public Policy Initiation at the State Level. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 27(2): 209–27. , and .
- 2000. Common Interest, Common Good: Creating Value through Business and Social Sector Partnerships. Boston: Harvard Business School Press. , and .
- 1991. Lessons in Community Development: An Activist Approach to Stimulating Inter-Organizational Collaboration. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 27(1): 91–115. .
- 1996. Obstacles to Community-Based Collaboration. In Creating Collaborative Advantage, edited by ChrisHuxham, 101–9. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. .
- 1995. Social Capital, Community Coalitions, and the Role of Institutions. Durham, NC: Duke University, Sanford Institute of Public Policy. .
- 2000. Exploring the Effects of Collaboration on Member Organizations: Washington County’s Welfare-to-Work Partnership. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 29(1): S98–S119. .
- 1999. AmeriCorps Organizational Networks on the Ground: Six Case Studies of Indiana AmeriCorps Programs. Washington, DC: Corporation for National Service. .
- 2001a. Collaboration: Meaning and Measurement. Ph.D. diss., Indiana University–Bloomington. .
- 2001b. Unpublished field notes. .
- 2002. Knowledge for Practice: The Meaning and Measurement of Collaboration. Paper presented at the 2002 ARNOVA Conference, November 14–16, Montreal,Canada. , and .
- 1998. Can AmeriCorps Build Communities? Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 27(4): 399–420. , and .
- 2005. The Paradox of Branding and Collaboration. Public Performance and Management Review 29(1): 67–84. , , and .
- 1975. Theoretical and Conceptual Issues in Inter-Organizational Theory. In Inter-Organizational Theory, edited by Anant R.Negandhi, 19–38. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press. , , , and .
- 2003. Managing Collaboration in Public Administration: The Promise of Alliance among Governance, Citizens, and Businesses. Westport, CT: Praeger. .
- 1967. The Interorganizational Field as a Focus for Investigation. Administrative Science Quarterly 12: 396–419. .
- 1975. The Interaction of Community Decision Organizations: Some Conceptual Considerations and Empirical Findings. In Inter-Organizational Theory, edited by Anant R.Negandhi, 167–81. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press. ., , , and .
- 2002. The Competent Boundary Spanner. Public Administration 80(1): 103–24. .
- 1991. Toward a Comprehensive Theory of Collaboration. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 27(2): 139–62. , and .
- 1988. Where Do Institutional Patterns Come From? In Institutional Patterns and Organizations: Culture and Environment, edited by LynneZucker, 23–49. Cambridge, MA: Ballinger. .