The First MBA President: George W. Bush as Public Administrator
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2007
Public Administration Review
Volume 67, Issue 1, pages 6–20, January|February 2007
How to Cite
Pfiffner, J. P. (2007), The First MBA President: George W. Bush as Public Administrator. Public Administration Review, 67: 6–20. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2006.00691.x
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2007
- 2004. Management Style Shows Weaknesses. Washington Post, June 2. .
- 2004. Bush’s Leadership Style: Decisive or Simplistic? Washington Post, August 30. , and .
- 1986. Making the Managerial Presidency: Comprehensive Reorganization Planning, 1905–1980. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2004. The Roots of Torture. Newsweek, May 24. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4989422/site/newsweek/ [accessed September 25, 2006]. , , and .
- 2006. The Cost of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Other Global War on Terror Operations since 9/11. Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service. http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/68791.pdf [accessed September 25, 2006]. .
- 2006. The Numbers Racket. The American Interest 2(1): 129. .
- 2002. Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done. New York: Random House. , and .
- 2004. Pentagon Report Set Framework for Use of Torture. Wall Street Journal, June 7. .
- 2006. The Great Deluge: Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. New York: Morrow. .
- 2006. Legislating Civil Service Reform: The Homeland Security Act of 2002. Monterey, CA: Naval Postgraduate School, Center for Defense Management Reform. www.nps.navy.mil/gsbpp/CDMR/publications.htm [accessed September 25, 2006]. , , , and .
- 2004. The C.I.A. versus Bush. New York Times, November 13. .
- 1991. How Presidents Test Reality: Decisions on Vietnam, 1954 and 1965. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. , and .
- 2002. Memorandum on Humane Treatment of al-Qaeda and Taliban Detainees. In The Torture Papers: The Road to Abu Ghraib, edited by Karen J.Greenberg and Joshua L.Dratel, 134–35. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2005. .
- 2004. Against All Enemies: Inside America’s War on Terror. New York: Free Press. .
- 2003. Reconstructing Iraq: Insights, Challenges, and Missions for Military Forces in a Post-Conflict Scenario. Carlisle, PA: U.S. Army War College, Strategic Studies Institute. , and .
- 2004. Blind into Baghdad. Atlantic Monthly, January/February, 52–74. .
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). 2002. E-mail from [deleted] (BS) (FBI) to [deleted] (INSD) (FBI), Re: GTMO, August 2. www.aclu.org/torturefoia/released/12204.html [accessed September 27, 2006].
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). 2004. E-mail from [deleted] (DL) (FBI) to Briese, M C (Div 13) (FBI) Re: Request for Guidance regarding OGC EC, May 22. www.aclu.org/torturefoia/released/12204.html [accessed September 27, 2006].
- 2006. Colonel of Truth. Salon.com, February 27. www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/02/27/wilkerson/index_np.html [accessed September 27, 2006]. .
- 2006. America at the Crossroads: Democracy, Power, and the Neoconservative Legacy. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. .
- 2005. A Little Learning: What Douglas Feith Knew, and When He Knew It. New Yorker, May 9. www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/050509fa_fact [accessed September 28, 2006] .
- 2002. Memorandum to the George W. Bush, Re: Decision RE application of the Geneva Convention on Prisoners of War to the Conflict with al-Qaeda and the Taliban, January 25. .
- 2006. Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq. New York: Pantheon. , and .
- 2004. Number of Army Probes of Detainee Deaths Rises to 33. Washington Post, May 22. .
- 1977. A Government of Strangers: Executive Politics in Washington. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press. .
- 1999a. The Changing Presidential Office. In The Managerial Presidency, 2nd ed., edited by James P.Pfiffner, 23–36. College Station: Texas A&M University Press. .
- 1999b. OMB and Neutral Competence. In The Managerial Presidency, 2nd ed., edited by James P.Pfiffner, 131–43. College Station: Texas A&M University Press. .
- 2003. The Stovepipe. New Yorker, October 27. www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/031027fa_fact [accessed September 27, 2006]. .
- 2004. The Gray Zone. New Yorker, May 24. www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/040524fa_fact [accessed September 27, 2006]. .
- 2003. Agency Belittles Information Given by Iraq Defectors. New York Times, September 29. .
- 2004. Powell’s “Solid” C.I.A. Tips Were Soft, Committee Says. New York Times. July 11. .
- 2003. Team Bush: Leadership Lessons from the Bush White House. New York: McGraw-Hill. .
- 2004. A Matter of Character: Inside the White House of George W. Bush. New York: Sentinel. .
- 2002. Without a Doubt. New Yorker, October 14–26. www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/021014fa_fact3 [accessed September 27, 2006] .
- 2004. Remember the Alamo. New Yorker, October 18. www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?041018fa_fact [accessed September 27, 2006]. .
- 2002. What Management Is: How It Works and Why It’s Everyone’s Business. New York: Free Press. , and .
- 2006. Issues in Estimating the Cost of Operations in Iraq and the War on Terrorism. Testimony before the U.S. House Committee on Government Reform, July 18. www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=7408&sequence=0 [accessed September 27, 2006]. .
- 2005. The CIA Is No “Rogue” Agency. Washington Post, November 24. .
- 2004. Managers, Not MBAs: A Hard Look at the Soft Practice of Managing and Management Development. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler. .
- 2004. Military Completed Death Certificates for 20 Prisoners Only after Months Passed. New York Times, May 31. .
- 2006. Why Iraq Was a Mistake. Time, April 17, 42–43. .
- 2004. “Rogue” CIA. Washington Post, November 18. .
- 2005. Iraq without a Plan. www.brookings.edu/views/articles/ohanlon/20050101.htm [accessed September 27, 2006]. .
- 2006. Presidential Power and Congressional Acquiescence in the “War” on Terrorism: A New Constitutional Equilibrium? Politics and Policy 34(2): 258–303. .
- 2005. The Assassin’s Gate: America in Iraq. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. .
- 2004. Did President Bush Mislead the Country in His Arguments for War with Iraq? Presidential Studies Quarterly 34(1): 25–46. .
- 2005a. Torture and Public Policy. Public Integrity 7(4): 313–30. .
- 2005b. Presidential Leadership and Advice about Going to War. Paper prepared for the Conference on Presidential Leadership, Richmond, VA, September 9–10. .
- Intelligence and Decision Making Before the War with Iraq. In Leading the Charge: The Polarized Presidency of George W. Bush, edited by George C.Edwards. Oxford: Oxford University Press. . Forthcoming.
- 2003. Listening to the Wrong Iraqi. New York Times, September 20. .
- 2006. Intelligence, Policy, and the War in Iraq. Foreign Affairs 85(2): 15–27. .
- 2002. Memorandum to the Counsel to the President and Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, Re: Draft Decision Memorandum for the President on the Applicability of the Geneva Convention to the Conflict in Afghanistan, January 26. .
- 2006. Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq. New York: Penguin. .
- 2003. C.I.A. Aides Feel Pressure in Preparing Iraqi Reports. New York Times, March 23. .
- 2006. Seeking Spies: Why the CIA Is Having Such a Hard Time Keeping Its Best. U.S. News and World Report, February 13. www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/060213/13cia.htm [accessed September 28, 2006]. , and .
- 2002. Memorandum to David Manning, Secret and Strictly Personal—UK Eyes Only, Re: Iraq: Prime Minister’s Meeting [Downing Street Memo], July 23. Times (London), May 1, 2005. www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607,00.html [accessed September 27, 2006]. .
- 2004. Final Report of the Independent Panel to Review Department of Defense Detention Operations. In The Abu Ghraib Investigations: The Official Panel and Pentagon Reports on the Shocking Prisoner Abuse in Iraq, edited by StevenStrasser, 1–101. New York: Public Affairs. .
- 2006. Clash Foreseen between CIA and Pentagon. New York Times, May 10. .
- 2004. Bush Adviser Toured Abu Ghraib. Washington Post, June 19. .
- 2004. One Third of Detainees Who Died Were Assaulted. USA Today, May 31. , and .
- 2003. Why Are These Men Laughing? www.ronsuskind.com/articles/000032.html [accessed September 27, 2006]. .
- 2004a. Faith, Certainty, and the Presidency of George W. Bush. New York Times Magazine, October 17. .
- 2004b. The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the Education of Paul O’Neill. New York: Simon & Schuster. .
- 2006. The One Percent Doctrine: Deep Inside America’s Pursuit of Its Enemies since 9/11. New York: Simon & Schuster. .
- 2004. President to Consider Changes for New Term. Washington Post, November 5. , and .
- Washington Post. 2006. Rumsfeld Forbade Planning for Postwar Iraq, General Says. September 9.
- 1946. From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology. Translated and edited by H. H.Gerth and C.Wright Mills. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 1987. Speaking Truth to Power: The Art and Craft of Policy Analysis. 2nd ed. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction. .
- White House. 2001. Vice President Cheney Appears on Meet the Press with Tim Russert. News release, September 16. www.whitehouse.gov/vicepresident/news-speeches/speeches/vp20010916.html [accessed September 25, 2006].
- White House. 2006. President Nominated Rob Portman as OMB Director and Susan Schwab for USTR. New release, April 18. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/04/20060418-1.html [accessed September 25, 2006].
- 2005. Weighing the Uniqueness of the Bush Administration’s National Security Decision-Making Process: Boon or Danger to American Democracy? Remarks at the New America Foundation Policy Forum, October 19. .
- 2002. Bush at War. New York: Simon & Schuster. .