Assessing the Impact of Performance-Based Budgeting: A Comparative Analysis across the United States, Taiwan, and China
Article first published online: 22 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 The American Society for Public Administration
Public Administration Review
Volume 69, Issue Supplement s1, pages S60–S66, December 2009
How to Cite
Lee, J. Y.-J. and Wang, X. (2009), Assessing the Impact of Performance-Based Budgeting: A Comparative Analysis across the United States, Taiwan, and China. Public Administration Review, 69: S60–S66. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2009.02090.x
- Issue published online: 22 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 22 OCT 2009
- 2007. GPPA—A Foundation for Performance Budgeting. Public Performance and Management Review 30(3): 312–31. .
- 1995. The Rhetoric of Reform and Political Reality in the National Performance Review. Public Administration Review 55(3): 302–12. .
- China Development and Research Foundation (CDRF). 2006. Handbook of Public Budgeting [in Chinese]. Beijing: CDRF.
- 1995. Budgeting for Performance in Local Government. In The Municipal Yearbook 1995, 42–52. Washington, DC: International City/County Management Association. .
- 2001. Promoting the Utilization of Performance Measures in Public Organizations: An Empirical Study of Factors Affecting Adoption and Implementation. Public Administration Review 61(6): 693–708. , and .
- 2002. Implementing Performance-Based Program Budgeting: A System-Dynamics Perspective. Public Administration Review 62(1): 51–62. , and .
- 1999. Performance Budgeting and Performance Funding in the States: A Status Assessment. Public Budgeting and Finance 19(1): 68–88. , and .
- 1993. The Reiterative Nature of Budget Reform: Is There Anything New in Federal Budgeting? Public Budgeting and Finance 13(3): 36–48. .
- 2000. Performance Measurement in State Budgeting: Advancement and Backsliding from 1990 to 1995. Public Budgeting and Finance 20(1): 38–54. , and .
- 1998. The State of the States: Performance-Based Budgeting Requirements in 47 out of 50. Public Administration Review 58(1): 66–73. , and .
- 2007. How Does Program Performance Assessment Affect Program Management in the Federal Government? Public Performance and Management Review 30(3): 332–50. ,
- 2006. Performance-Based Budgeting in China: A Case Study of Guangdong. Paper Presented at the Second International Conference on Public Management: 21st Century Opportunities and Challenges, University of Macau, China. , , and .
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2002. Developing Performance Measures for Public Financial Management. Paris: OECD.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) 2005a. Challenges for China’s Public Spending: Toward Greater Effectiveness and Equity. Paris: OECD.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) 2005b. Economic Survey of China 2005. Reforming Public Finances to Better Serve Growth. Paris: OECD. http://www.oecd.org/document/31/0,3343,en_2649_34595_35343711_1_1_1_1,00.html. [accessed August 17, 2009].
- 2003. Implementing the Vision: Addressing Challenges to Results-Focused Management and Budgeting. Paris: OECD. .
- 2008. Economy Experience Sharing—Chinese Taipei. Presentation at the APEC Workshop on Government Performance and Results Management Report. .
- U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO). 2001. Results-Oriented Budget Practices in Federal Agencies. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office. GAO-01-1084SP.
- 2008. Convincing Legislators with Performance Measures. International Journal of Public Administration 31(6): 654–67. .
- 2000. Implementing PBB: Conflicting Views of Success. Public Budgeting and Finance 20(1): 105–20. , and .
- 2005. Models of Performance-Measurement Use in Local Governments: Understanding Budgeting, Communication, and Lasting Effects. Public Administration Review 65(2): 180–90. , and .