Resilience in Public Administration: The Work of Elinor and Vincent Ostrom from a Public Administration Perspective
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 The American Society for Public Administration
Public Administration Review
Volume 70, Issue 2, pages 193–202, March/April 2010
How to Cite
Toonen, T. (2010), Resilience in Public Administration: The Work of Elinor and Vincent Ostrom from a Public Administration Perspective. Public Administration Review, 70: 193–202. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2010.02147.x
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2010
- 2004. A Framework to Analyze the Robustness of Social-Ecological Systems from an Institutional Perspective. Ecology and Society 9(1). http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol9/iss1/art18/ [accessed November 19, 2009]. , , and .
- 1956. An Introduction to Cybernetics. New York: Wiley. .
- 1962. Principles of the Self-Organizing System. In Principles of Self-Organization, edited by HeinzVon Foerster and George W.Zopf, 255–78. New York: Macmillan. .
- 1959. Industrial Organization. New York: Wiley. .
- 1973. Understanding Urban Government: Metropolitan Reform Reconsidered. Washington, DC: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research. , and .
- 1962. The Calculus of Consent: Logical Foundations of Constitutional Democracy. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. , and .
- 2002. The Drama of the Commons. In The Drama of the Commons, edited by ElinorOstrom, ThomasDietz, NivesDolsak, Paul C.Stern, SusanStovich, and Elke U.Weber, 3–35. Washington, DC: National Academy Press. , , , and .
- Paul C.Stern. 2003. The Struggle to Govern the Commons. Science 302: 1907–12. , , and
- 2008. European Spatial Research and Planning. Cambridge, MA: Lincoln Institute of Land Policy. , ed.
- 2007. Master Woodworker: Still learning, Loving Life. Homes and Lifestyles of South-Central Indiana, Winter, 82–85. , and .
- 1985. Policy Implementation in Federal and Unitary Systems. Boston: Martin Nijhoff. , and .
- 1968. The Tragedy of the Commons. Science 162: 1243–48. .
- 2002. Governance of Europe's City Regions: Planning, Policy and Politics. New York: Routledge. , and .
- 2003. Unraveling the Central State, but How? Types of Multilevel Governance. American Political Science Review 97(2): 233–43. , and .
- Indiana University (IU). 2002. Research and Creative Activity 25(1): 9.
- 2004. Artisans of Political Theory and Empirical Inquiry; Thirty Years of Scholarship at the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis. http://www.indiana.edu/~workshop/publications/materials/workshop_history.pdf [accessed November 19, 2009]. .
- 2006. Governing Social-Ecological Systems. In Handbook of Computational Economics: Agent-Based Computational Economic, vol. 2, edited by LeighTesfatsion and , 1465–1509. Amsterdam: Elsevier. , and .
- 1986. Guidance, Control, and Evaluation in the Public Sector: The Bielefeld Interdisciplinary Project. New York: Walter de Gruyter. , , and , eds.
- 2003. Sustainability and the Commons. Science 302: 1861. .
- 1982. The Three Worlds of Action: A Metatheoretical Synthesis of Institutional Approaches. In Strategies of Political Inquiry, edited by ElinorOstrom, 179–222. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 2006. Public Management: Old and New. New York: Routledge.
- Metrex. 2007. Framework: Polycentricity and Better European Territorial Balance, Network of European Metropolitan Regions and Areas. http://www.eurometrex.org [accessed November 19, 2009].
- 1965. The Logic of Collective Action. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. .
- 1972. Metropolitan Reform: Propositions Derived from Two Traditions. Social Science Quarterly 53(4): 474–93. .
- 1976. Size and Performance in a Federal System. Publius: The Journal of Federalism 6(2): 33–73. .
- 1977. Why Do We Need Multiple Indicators of Public Service Outputs? In National Conference on Nonmetropolitan Community Services Report, 277–86. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office. .
- 1986. An Agenda for the Study of Institutions. Public Choice 48(1): 3–25. .
- 1990. Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action. New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2005. Understanding Institutional Diversity. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2007. A Diagnostic Approach for Going beyond Panaceas. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104(39): 15181–87. .
- 2009. A General Framework for Analyzing Sustainability of Social-Ecological Systems. Science 325: 419–22. .
- 1994. Rules, Games and Common-Pool Resources. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan. , , and .
- 2007. Going Beyond Panaceas. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104(39): 15176–78. , , and .
- 2006. Insights on Linking Forests, Trees, and People from the Air, on the Ground, and in the Laboratory. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 103(51): 19224–31. , and .
- 1974. Defining and Measuring Structural Variations in Interorganizational Arrangements. Publius: The Journal of Federalism 4(4): 87–108. , , and .
- 2003. Trust and Reciprocity: Interdisciplinary Lessons from Experimental Research. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. , and .
- 1964. Editorial Comment: Developments in the “No-Name” Fields of Public Administration. Public Administration Review 24(1): 62–63. .
- 1967. Water and Politics: California Style. Arts and Architecture 84(32): 14–16. .
- 1972. Polycentricity. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, September 5–9, Washington, DC. [Later published as Polycentricity (part 1) and Polycentricity (part 2). In Polycentricity and Local Public Economies; Readings for the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis, edited by MichaelMcGinnis, 52–74, 119–139. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1999.] .
- 1982. A Forgotten Tradition: the Constitutional Level of Analyses. In Missing Elements in Political Inquiry: Logic and Levels of Analysis, edited by Judith A.Gillespie and Dina A.Zinnes, 237–52. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications. .
- 1991. The Meaning of American Federalism: Constituting a Self-Governing Society. San Francisco: Institute for Contemporary Studies Press. .
- 2008a. The Intellectual Crisis in American Public Administration. 3rd ed. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press. . 
- 2008b. The Political Theory of a Compound Republic: Designing the American Experiment. 3rd ed. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. . 
- 1965. A Behavioral Approach to the Study of Intergovernmental Relations. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 359: 137–46. , and .
- 1971. Public Choice: A Different Approach to the Study of Public Administration. Public Administration Review 31(2): 203–16. , and .
- 1977. Public Goods and Public Choices. In Alternatives for Delivering Public Services; Towards Improved Performance, edited by E. S.Savas, 7–49. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. , and .
- 1961. The Organization of Government in Metropolitan Areas: A Theoretical Inquiry. American Political Science Review 55(4): 831–42. , , and .
- 1985. Metropolitan Structure and Systemic Performance: the Case of Police Service Delivery. In Policy Implementation in Federal and Unitary Systems, edited by KennethHanf and Theo A. J.Toonen, 161–91. Boston: Martin Nijhoff. .
- 1981. Consumers as Coproducers of Public Services: Some Economical and Institutional Considerations. Policy Studies Journal 9(7): 1001–11. , et al.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). 2006. Profile of Elinor Ostrom as a Recently Elected Member of the National Academy of Sciences. 103(51): 19221.
- Raffaella Y.Nanetti. 1993. Making Democracy Work. Civic Traditions in Modern Italy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. , with and
- 1986. What Can We Learn from Implementation Research? In Guidance, Control, and Evaluation in the Public Sector: The Bielefeld Interdisciplinary Project, edited by Franz-XaverKaufmann, GiandomenicoMajone, and VincentOstrom, 313–27. New York: Walter de Gruyter. .
- 2005. Jurisdictional Integrity, Polycentrism, and the Design of Democratic Governance. Governance: An International Journal of Policy, Administration, and Institutions 18(1): 94–104. .
- 2008. Making Social Sciences More Scientific: The Need for Predictive Models. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 1983. Administrative Plurality in a Unitary State: The Analysis of Public Organisational Pluralism. Policy and Politics 11(3): 247–71. .
- 1988. Monocentrisme, polycentrisme en de economie van het openbaar bestuur; Het werk van Vincent Ostrom. [Monocentricity, polycentricity and the economy of public administration; The work of Vincent Ostrom]. In Bestuurskunde: Hoofdfiguren en kernthema's [Public administration: Leading figures and core themes], edited by A. F. A.Korsten and Theo A. J.Toonen, 105–26. Leiden: Stenfert Kroese. .
- 1998. Networks, Management and Institutions: Public Administration as “Normal Science.” Public Administration 76(2): 229–52. .
- Multi-Level Governance (MLG) and Intergovernmental Relations (IGR): Integrating the Theoretical Perspectives. In Governance and Intergovernmental Relations in the European Union and the United States: Theoretical Perspectives, edited by EdoardoOngaro, AndrewMassey, MarcHolzer, and EllenWayenberg. New York: Routledge. . Forthcoming.
- 1979. Speaking Truth To Power; The Art and Craft of Policy Analysis. Boston: Little, Brown. .