Unanswered Questions about Public Service Motivation: Designing Research to Address Key Issues of Emergence and Effects
Article first published online: 31 AUG 2010
Copyright © 2010 The American Society for Public Administration
Public Administration Review
Volume 70, Issue 5, pages 691–700, September/October 2010
How to Cite
Wright, B. E. and Grant, A. M. (2010), Unanswered Questions about Public Service Motivation: Designing Research to Address Key Issues of Emergence and Effects. Public Administration Review, 70: 691–700. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2010.02197.x
- Issue published online: 31 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 31 AUG 2010
- 2001. Public Service Motivation and Job Performance: Evidence from the Federal Sector. American Review of Public Administration 31(4): 363–80. , and .
- 1981. Social Desirability Response Bias in Self-Report Choice Situations. Academy of Management Journal 24(2): 377–85. , and .
- 1999. The Power of Self-Persuasion. American Psychologist 54(11): 875–84. .
- 1997. Self-Efficacy: The Exercise of Control. New York: W. H. Freeman. .
- 1991. The Big Five Personality Dimensions and Job Performance: A Meta-Analysis. Personnel Psychology 44(1): 1–26. , and .
- 2001. Personality and Performance at the Beginning of the New Millennium: What Do We Know and Where Do We Go Next?International Journal of Selection and Assessment 9(1–2): 9–30. , , and .
- 1992. Laboratory Experiments in Public Policy and Management. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 2(3): 293–313. , and .
- 2003. Building Social Capital: Civic Attitudes and Behavior of Public Servants. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 13(1): 5–26. .
- 1998. Whistle Blowers in the Federal Civil Service: New Evidence of the Public Service Ethic. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 8(3): 413–39. , and .
- 2000. Why Elephants Gallop: Assessing and Predicting Organizational Performance in Federal Agencies. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 10(4): 685–711. , and .
- 2000. Individual Conceptions of Public Service Motivation. Public Administration Review 60(3): 204–14. , and .
- 2007. Does Person–Organization Fit Mediate the Relationship between Public Service Motivation and the Job Performance of Public Employees?Review of Public Personnel Administration 27(4): 361–79. .
- 2008. Does Public Service Motivation Really Make a Difference on the Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions of Public Employees?American Review of Public Administration 38(2): 149–66. .
- 1974. Building Organizational Commitment: The Socialization of Managers in Work Organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly 19(4): 533–46. .
- 1975. Government Managers, Business Executives, and Organizational Commitment. Public Administration Review 34(4): 339–47. .
- 2001. Socialization Tactics and Person–Organization Fit. Personnel Psychology 54(1): 1–23. , and .
- 1966. Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Research. Chicago: Rand McNally. , and .
- 1991. Matching People and Organizations: Selection and Socialization in Public Accounting Firms. Administrative Science Quarterly 36(3): 459–84. .
- 2009. The Role of Task Performance and Organizational Citizenship Behavior in Performance Appraisals across Sectors: Exploring the Role of Public Service Motivation. Paper presented at the International Public Service Management Research Conference, June 7–9, Bloomington, IN. , and .
- 1979. Quasi-Experimentation: Design and Analysis Issues for Field Settings. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. , and .
- 1997. Public Service Motivation: Building Empirical Evidence of Incidence and Effect. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 7(4): 499–518.
- 2000. Remedial Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Two Field Experiments to Prevent Golem Effects among Disadvantaged Women. Journal of Applied Psychology 85(3): 386–98. , and .
- 2002. Impact of Transformational Leadership on Follower Development and Performance: A Field Experiment. Academy of Management Journal 45(4): 735–44. , , , and .
- 2003. Self-Fulfilling Prophecies in Organizations. In Organizational Behavior: The State of the Science, 2nd ed., edited by JeraldGreenberg, 91–122.Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. .
- 2001. Ten Difference Score Myths. Organizational Research Methods 4(3): 265–87.
- 2000. On the Nature and Direction of Relationships between Constructs and Measures. Psychological Methods 5(2): 155–74. , and .
- 2000. Emotion, Regulation, and Moral Development. Annual Review of Psychology 51: 655–97. .
- 2001. Toward a Structure- and Process-Integrated View of Personality: Traits as Density Distributions of States. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 80(6): 1011–27. .
- 2001. Affective Influences on Judgments and Behavior in Organizations: An Information Processing Perspective. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 86(1): 3–34. , and .
- 2004. Government Employees: Working Hard or Hardly Working?American Review of Public Administration 34(1): 36–51. , and .
- 1997. Meta-Analytic Review of Leader-Member Exchange Theory: Correlates and Consequences. Journal of Applied Psychology 82(6): 827–44. , and .
- 1992. Self-Efficacy: A Theoretical Analysis of Its Determinants and Malleability. Academy of Management Review 17(2): 183–211. , and .
- 2008a. Employees without a Cause: The Motivational Effects of Prosocial Impact in Public Service. International Public Management Journal 11(1): 48–66.
- 2008b. The Significance of Task Significance: Job Performance Effects, Relational Mechanisms, and Boundary Conditions. Journal of Applied Psychology 93(1): 108–24.
- 2007. Impact and the Art of Motivation Maintenance: The Effects of Contact with Beneficiaries on Persistence Behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 103(1): 53–67. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The Neglected Science and Art of Quasi-Experimentation: Why-to, When-to, and How-to Advice for Organizational Researchers. Organizational Research Methods 12(4): 653–86. , and .
- 1983. Objective and Social Sources of Information in Task Redesign: A Field Experiment. Administrative Science Quarterly 28(2): 184–200.
- 1999. Control and Efficacy as Interdisciplinary Bridges. Review of General Psychology 3(4): 317–37. , and .
- 1970. Personal Factors in Organizational Identification. Administrative Science Quarterly 15(2): 176–90. , , and .
- 1998. Cognitive Repairs: How Organizations Compensate for the Shortcomings of Individual Learners. Research in Organizational Behavior 20: 1–37. , , and .
- 2005. The Effect of Implicit Person Theory on Performance Appraisals. Journal of Applied Psychology 90(5): 842–56. , , and .
- 2006. “Walking the Walk” of Public Service Motivation: Public Employees and Charitable Gifts of Time, Blood, and Money. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 16(1): 67–86.
- 1992. Effects of Work Values on Job Choice Decisions. Journal of Applied Psychology 77(3): 261–71. , and .
- 2002. Relationship of Personality to Performance Motivation: A Meta-Analytic Review. Journal of Applied Psychology 87(4): 797–807. , and .
- 2001. The Job Satisfaction–Job Performance Relationship: A Qualitative and Quantitative Review. Psychological Bulletin 127(3): 376–407. , , , and .
- 2004. A Match Made in Heaven or a Square Peg in a Round Hole? How Public Service Educators Can Help Students Assess Person– Environment Fit. Journal of Public Affairs Education 10(4): 265–78. , and .
- 2002. A Review and Analysis of the Policy-Capturing Methodology in Organizational Research: Guidelines for Research and Practice. Organizational Research Methods 5(4): 337–61. , and .
- 2005. Individual-Level Factors and Organizational Performance in Government Organizations. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 15(2): 245–62.
- 1982. Job Conditions and Personality: A Longitudinal Assessment of their Reciprocal Effects. American Journal of Sociology 87(6): 1257–86. , and .
- 1990. The Case for Motivated Reasoning. Psychological Bulletin 108(3): 480–98.
- 2008. Recruitment, Attraction, and Selection. In Motivation in Public Management: The Call of Public Service, edited by James L.Perry and AnnieHondeghem, 118–35.Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and .
- 2002. Who Wants to Work for the Government?Public Administration Review 62(4): 395–404. , and .
- 2002. Building a Practically Useful Theory of Goal Setting and Task Motivation: A 35-Year Odyssey. American Psychologist 57(9): 705–17. , and .
- 2006. A Comparison of the Values and Commitment of Private Sector, Public Sector, and Parapublic Sector Employees. Public Administration Review 66(4): 605–18. , , and .
- 2007. Mediation Analysis. Annual Review of Psychology 58: 593–614. , , and .
- 1976. Learned Helplessness: Theory and Evidence. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General 105(1): 3–46. , and .
- 1992. A Theory of Generativity and Its Assessment through Self-Report, Behavioral Acts, and Narrative Themes in Autobiography. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 62(6): 1003–15. , and .
- 1981. Dilemmatics: The Study of Research Choices and Dilemmas. American Behavioral Scientist 25(2): 179–210.
- 1982. Judgment Calls in Research. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications. , , and .
- 2001. The Two Faces of Conscientiousness: Duty and Achievement Striving in Escalation of Commitment Dilemmas. Journal of Applied Psychology 86(3): 533–40. .
- 1979. Work Experience and Occupational Value Socialization: A Longitudinal Study. American Journal of Sociology 84(6): 1391–85. , and .
- 2004. The Mere-Measurement Effect: Why Does Measuring Intentions Change Actual Behavior?Journal of Consumer Psychology 14(1–2): 64–74. , and .
- 2007. The Role of Organizations in Fostering Public Service Motivation. Public Administration Review 67(1): 40–53. , and .
- 1999. Working for America: Does Public Service Motivation Make a Difference?Review of Public Personnel Administration 19(4): 5–16. , and .
- 2005. From Student to Superhero: Situational Primes Shape Future Helping. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 41(4): 423–30. , and .
- 2008. Antecedents and Correlates of Public Service Motivation. In Motivation in Public Management: The Call of Public Service, edited by James L.Perry and AnnieHondeghem, 80–98.Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and .
- 1996. Measuring Public Service Motivation: An Assessment of Construct Reliability and Validity. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 7(1): 5–22. .
- 1997. Antecedents of Public Service Motivation. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 7(2): 181–97. .
- 2008. Building Theory and Empirical Evidence about Public Service Motivation. International Public Management Journal 11(1): 3–12. , and .
- 1993. Motivations to Innovate in Public Organizations. In Public Management: The State of the Art, edited by BarryBozeman, 294–306. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. , , , and .
- 1990. The Motivational Bases of Public Service. Public Administration Review 50(3): 367–73. , and .
- 1996. The Values of Business and Federal Government Executives: More Different than Alike. Public Personnel Management 25(3): 277–89. , and .
- 1982. Reward Preferences among Public and Private Managers: In Search of the Service Ethic. American Review of Public Administration 16(4): 288–302.
- 2005. The Structure of Conscientiousness: An Empirical Investigation Based on Seven Major Personality Questionnaires. Personnel Psychology 58(1): 103–39. , , , and .
- 2004. The Importance of Pay in Employee Motivation: Discrepancies between What People Say and What They Do. Human Resource Management 43(4): 381–94. , , and .
- 1983. The Role of Pay and Market Pay Variability in Job Applicant Decisions. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance 31(3): 353–64. , , and .
- 1998. The Validity and Utility of Selection Methods in Personnel Psychology: Practical and Theoretical Implications of 85 Years of Research Findings. Psychological Bulletin 124(2): 262–74. , and .
- 1987. The People Make the Place. Personnel Psychology 40(3): 437–53. .
- 2004. Goal Setting and Goal Orientation: An Integration of Two Different yet Related Literatures. Academy of Management Journal 47(2): 227–39. , , , and .
- 1998. Self-Efficacy and Work-Related Performance: A Meta-Analysis. Psychological Bulletin 124(2): 240–61. , and .
- 2001. Differential Effects of Incentive Motivators on Work Performance. Academy of Management Journal 44(3): 580–90. , and .
- 2008. Person–Environment Fit and Public Service Motivation. International Public Management Journal 11(1): 13–27. .
- 2009. Job Choice Motivation among Public and Nonprofit Managers: Impacts of Sector Switching. Paper presented at the 10th Public Management Research Conference, October 1–3, Columbus, OH. , and .
- 2008. Organizational Influences, Public Service Motivation and Work Outcomes: An Australian Study. International Public Management Journal 11(1): 67–88. .
- 1976. Possible Limits on a Science of Social Behavior. In Social Psychology in Transition, edited by Lloyd H.Strickland, Frances E.Aboud, and , 121–39.New York: Plenum. .
- 2008. Is the Grass Greener? Sector Shifting and Choice of Sector by MPA and MBA Graduates. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 37(4): 668–88. , , , and .
- 2002. Motivated Decision Making: Effects of Activation and Self-Centrality of Values on Choices and Behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 82(3): 434–47. , and .
- 1998. Where Values Collide: Motivation and Role Conflict in Child and Adult Protective Services. American Review of Public Administration 28(4): 347–66.
- 1986. Outcomes of Autonomous Workgroups: A Long-Term Field Experiment. Academy of Management Journal 29(2): 280–304. , , , and .
- 1999. Theory Construction as Disciplined Reflexivity: Tradeoffs in the 90s. Academy of Management Review 24(4): 797–806.
- 1991. Serving the People or Serving for Pay: Reward Preferences among Government, Hybrid Sector and Business Managers. Public Productivity & and Management Review 14(4): 369–83. .
- 2001. Public-Sector Work Motivation: A Review of the Current Literature and a Revised Conceptual Model. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 11(4): 559–86.
- 2004. The Role of Work Context in Work Motivation: A Public Sector Application of Goal and Social Cognitive Theories. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 14(1): 59–78.
- 2007. Public Service and Motivation: Does Mission Matter?Public Administration Review 67(1): 54–64.
- 2008. Methodological Challenges Associated with Public Service Motivation Research. In Motivation in Public Management: The Call of Public Service, edited by James L.Perry and AnnieHondeghem, 80–98.Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2010. Public Service Motivation: A Test of the Job Attraction-Selection-Attrition Model. International Journal of Public Management 13(2): 155–76. , and .
- 2008. Public Service Motivation and the Assumption of Person–Organization Fit: Testing the Mediating Effect of Value Congruence. Administration & Society 40(5): 502–21. , and .
- Public Organizations and Mission Valence: When Does Mission Matter?Administration & Society. , and . Forthcoming.