More Similarities or More Differences? Comparing Public and Nonprofit Managers’ Job Motivations
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2011 The American Society for Public Administration
Public Administration Review
Volume 71, Issue 1, pages 45–56, January/February 2011
How to Cite
Lee, Y.-j. and Wilkins, V. M. (2011), More Similarities or More Differences? Comparing Public and Nonprofit Managers’ Job Motivations. Public Administration Review, 71: 45–56. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2010.02305.x
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2011
- 2001. Public Service Motivation and Job Performance. American Review of Public Administration 31(4): 363–80. , and .
- 1996. The Pursuit of Absolute Integrity: How Corruption Control Makes Government Ineffective. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. , and .
- 1996. Conclusion: A Lexicon for New Organizational Era, in a New Organizational Era. In The Boundaryless Career: A New Employment Principle in a New Organizational, edited by Denise M.Rousseau and Michael B.Arthur, 370–82.Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and .
- 1998. Nonprofit Compensation and Benefits Practices. New York: Wiley. , and .
- 2005. Estimation of Marginal Effect Using margeff. Stata Journal 5(3): 309–29. .
- 1985. Human Capital, Effort, and the Sexual Division of Labor. Journal of Labor Economics 3(1): S33–58. .
- 1988. Professionalizing the Bureaucracy: Reducing Bureaucracy to Enhance Effectiveness. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. .
- 2005. Not for the Profit, But for the Satisfaction?, Evidence on Worker Well-being in Nonprofit Firms. Kyklos 58(2): 155–76. .
- 1985. An Analysis of Workers’ Choice between Employment in the Public and Private Sectors. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 38(2): 211–24. .
- 2006. Scope and Dimensions of the Nonprofit Sector. In The Nonprofit Sector: A Research Handbookedited by Walter W.Powell and RichardSteinberg, 66–88.New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. , and .
- 2006. Worker Motivations, Job Satisfaction, and Loyalty in Public and Nonprofit Social Services. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 35(2): 225–48. , and .
- 2000. Individual Conceptions of Public Service Motivation. Public Administration Review 60(3): 254–64. , , and .
- 2008. Does Public Service Motivation Really Make a Difference in the Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions of Public Employees? American Review of Public Administration 38(2): 149–66. .
- 2000. Globalizations, NGOs, and Multi-Sectoral Relations. Working Paper no. 1, Hauser Center for Nonprofit Organizations, Harvard University. http://www.hks.harvard.edu/hauser/PDF_XLS/workingpapers/workingpaper_1.pdf [accessed October 11, 2010]. , , , and .
- 2007. An Analysis of Differences in Work Motivation between Public and Private Sector Organizations. Public Administration Review 67(1): 65–74. , and .
- 2003. The Role of Incentives in the Public Sector: Issues and Evidence. Oxford Review of Economic Policy 19(2): 285–300. , and .
- 1984. A Comparison of the Quality of Work Experience in Government and Private Organizations. Human Relations 37(11): 923–40. , and .
- 1993. Predictors of Public or Private Employment for Business College Graduates. Public Personnel Management 22(1): 167–86. .
- 2006. An Examination of Childcare Teachers in For-Profit and Nonprofit Centers. Early Child Development and Care 176(6): 631–41. , , , and .
- 1997. Public Service Motivation: Building Empirical Evidence of Incidence and Effect. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 7(4): 499–518. .
- 2004. The Maternal Wall. Journal of Social Issues 60(4): 675–82. , , and .
- 1971. Effects of Externally Mediated Rewards on Intrinsic Motivation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 18(1): 105–15. .
- 1985. Intrinsic Motivation and Self--Determination in Human Behavior. New York: Plenum Press. , and .
- 2006. Gender Dimensions of Public Service Motivation. Public Administration Review 6(66): 873–87. , , and .
- 2004. Why Are Promotions Less Likely in Nonprofit Firms?, Working paper, Ithaca, NY. http://ideas.repec.org/p/wpa/wuwpla/0501010.html [accessed October 11, 2010]. , and .
- 1996. What Price of High Moral Ground? Southern Economic Journal 63(1): 1–17. .
- 2004. Government Employees: Working Hard or Hardly Working?, American Review of Public Administration 34 (1): 36–51. , and .
- 1995. Public Sector Motivation as an Independent Variable Affecting Career Decisions. Public Personnel Management 24(1): 33–51. , and .
- 2003. Democratic Accountability: The Third Sector and All. Working Paper no. 19, Hauser Center for Nonprofit Organizations, Harvard University. http://www.hks.harvard.edu/hauser/PDF_XLS/workingpapers/workingpaper_19.pdf [accessed October 11, 2010]. .
- 2000. Work–Lifestyle Choices in the Twenty-First Century. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2006. Women, Careers and Work–Life Preferences. British Journal of Guidance and Counseling 34(3): 279–94.
- 2006. Workforce Issues in the Nonprofit Sector: Generational Leadership Change and Diversity. American Humanics, Initiative for Nonprofit Sector Careers. http://www.humanics.org/site/c.omL2KiN4LvH/b.1537171/k.5CBD/Research_and_Resources.htm [accessed October 11, 2010]. .
- 1998. The Wage Differential between Nonprofit Institutions and Corporations: Getting More by Paying Less? Journal of Comparative Economics 26(2): 246–61. , and .
- 1980. The Role of Nonprofit Enterprise. Yale Law Journal 89: 835–901. .
- 1959. The Motivation to Work. New York: Wiley. , , and .
- 1957. Job Attitudes: Review of Research and Opinion. Pittsburgh, PA: Psychological Service of Pittsburgh. , , , and .
- 1996. The Effects of Flexible Work Arrangements. Nonprofit Management and Leadership 7(1): 69–86. .
- 2000. Public-Service Motivation: A Multivariate Test. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 10(4): 713–24. .
- 2006. “Walking the Walk” of Public Service Motivation: Public Employees and Charitable Gifts of Time, Blood, and Money. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 16(1): 67–86. .
- 2008. Behavior in the Public Square. In Motivation in Public Management: The Call of Public Service, edited James L.Perry and AnnieHondeghem, 177–99.Oxford: Oxford University Press. .
- 2009. Motivating Knights or Knaves?, Moving Beyond Performance-related Pay for the Public Sector. Public Administration Review 69(1): 43–57. .
- Independent Sector. 2002. The New Nonprofit Almanac and Desk Reference: The Essential Facts and Figures for Managers, Researchers, and Volunteers. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 1987. Characteristics of Workers in Nonprofit Organizations. Monthly Labor Review 110(7): 28–33. , and .
- 1998. Motivation in Public and Private Organizations. Public Productivity and Management Review 21(3): 230–50. , , and .
- 1998. Job Values in Today’s Workforce: A Comparison of Public and Private Sector Employees. Public Personnel Management 27(4): 515–27. , and .
- 1994. The Strategic Management of Accountability in Nonprofit Organizations: An Analytical Framework. Public Administration Review 54(2): 185–92. .
- 2005. The Politics of the Administrative Process. 3rd ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press. , and .
- 1993. Motivating the Private vs. Public Sector Managers. Public Personnel Management 22(3): 391–401. .
- 1964. The Image of the Federal Service. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution. , , and .
- 2005. Consequences of Individuals’ Fit at Work: A Meta-Analysis of Person–Job, Person–Organization, Person–Group, and Person–Supervisor Fit. Personnel Psychology 58(2): 281–342. , , and .
- 1973. Motivation in Work Organizations. Monterrey, CA: Brooks/Cole. .
- 2000. Wage Equity and Employee Motivation in Nonprofit and For-Profit Organizations. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 43(4): 423–46. .
- 2002. Who Wants to Work for the Government? Public Administration Review 62(4): 395–404. , and .
- 2002. The Content of Their Character: The State of the Nonprofit Workforce. Nonprofit Quarterly 9(3): 6–16. .
- 1989. Nonprofit Organizations, Government, and the Welfare State. Political Science Quarterly 104(4): 625–48. , and .
- 1989. And Lettuce Is Nonanimal: Toward a Positive Economics of Voluntary Action. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 18(4): 367–83. .
- 2006. Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables Using Stata. 2nd ed. College Station, TX: Stata Press. , and .
- 1994. The History of Women in the Nonprofit Sector: Changing Interpretations. In Women and Power in the Nonprofit Sector, edited by TeresaOdendahl and MichaelO’Neill, 17–38.San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. .
- 2004. From the Mommy Track to the Family Track: A Comparative Analysis of Employer-Provided Benefits in For-profit and Nonprofit Organizations. Master’s thesis, Wichita State University. .
- 2003. Canadian Policy Research Networks. Research Series on Human Resources in the Nonprofit Sector no. 2. http://www.cprn.org/documents/16694_en.pdf [accessed September 10, 2008]. , and .
- 1992. The Quality of Employment in the Nonprofit Sector: An Update on Employees Attitudes in Nonprofit versus Business and Government. Nonprofit Management and Leadership 3(1): 23–42. .
- 1983. Work and Workforce Characteristics in the Nonprofit Sector. Monthly Labor Review 106(4): 3–12. , and .
- 1991. Comparison of State and Local Employee Benefits and Private Employee Benefits. Public Personnel Management 20(4): 429–39. .
- 1999. Working for America: Does Public Service Motivation Make a Difference? Review of Public Personnel Administration 19(4): 5–16. , and .
- 1996. Careers in the Third Sector. Nonprofit Management and Leadership 6(4): 331–45. , and .
- 2008. Antecedents and Correlates of Public Service Motivation. In Motivation in Public Management: The Call of Public Service, edited by James L.Perry and AnnieHondeghem, 101–17.Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and .
- 1996. Measuring Public Service Motivation: An Assessment of Construct Reliability and Validity. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 6(1): 5–22. .
- 1990. The Motivational Bases of Public Service. Public Administration Review 50(3): 367–73. , and .
- 1998. Work Motivation in Organizational Behavior. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. .
- 1968. Managerial Attitudes and Performance. Homewood, IL: Irwin-Dorsey. , and .
- 1989. The Nonprofit Worker in a For-Profit World. Journal of Labor Economics 7(4): 438–63. .
- 1982. Public Agencies and Private Firms. Administration and Society 15(2): 207–42. .
- 1983. Public Agencies and Private Firms: Incentive Structures, Goals, and Individual Roles. Administration & Society 15(2): 207–42. .
- 1976. Comparing Public and Private Organizations. Public Administration Review 36(2): 233–44. , , and .
- 1975. Characteristics Associated with Preferences for Certain Managerial Positions. Psychological Reports 36: 911–18 , and .
- 1975. A Comparison of Managers Entering or Reentering the Profit and Nonprofit Sectors. Academy of Management Journal 18(3): 616–23. , , and .
- 2002. Managing Diversity in Public Sector Workforces. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. .
- 2004. Motherhood as a Status Characteristic. Journal of Social Issues 60(4): 683–700. , and .
- 2006. Employment Sector and Volunteering: The Contribution of Nonprofit and Public Sector Workers to the Volunteer Labor Force. Sociological Quarterly 47(1): 21–40. , and .
- 2000. Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivations: Classic Definitions and New Directions. Contemporary Educational Psychology 25(1): 54–67. , and .
- 2006. Employment in America’s Charities: A Profile. http://www.ccss.jhu.edu/pdfs/NED_Bulletins/National/NED_Bulletin26_EmplyinAmericasCharities_2006.pdf [accessed October 11, 2010]. , and .
- 2005. How Are Employees of the Nonprofit Sector Motivated?, A Research Need. Nonprofit Management and Leadership 16(2): 191–208. , , , and .
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). 2001 Summary of SHRM 2001 Benefits Survey. http://www.shrm.org/hrnews/articles/default.asp?,page=041801b.htm.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). 2009 Summary of SHRM 2009 Benefits Survey. http://www.shrm.org/Research/SurveyFindings/Articles/Pages/2009EmployeeBenefitsSurveyReport.aspx [accessed October 11, 2010].
- 2008. Is the Grass Greener?, Sector Shifting and Choice of Sector by MPA and MBA Graduates. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 37(4): 668–88. , , , and .
- U.S. Department of Labor. 2006. Career Guide to Industries, 2006–07 Edition, State and Local Government, Excluding Education and Hospitals. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 2004. The Civil Service as an Employer of Choice in Belgium. Review of Public Personnel Administration 24(4): 319–33. , , and .
- 1987. Coding Ordinal Independent Variables in Multiple Regression Analysis. American Journal of Epidemiology 25(2): 319–23. , , and .
- 1983. Nonprofit and Proprietary Sector Behavior: Wage Differentials Among Lawyers. Journal of Labor Economics 1(3): 246–63. .
- 1997. Who Cares?, Toward an Integrated Theory of Volunteer Work. American Sociological Review 62(5): 694–713. , and .
- 1984. Regression Models with Ordinal Variables. American Sociological Review 49(4): 512–25. , and .
- 1991. Serving the People or Serving for Pay: Reward Preferences among Government, Hybrid Sector, and Business Managers. Public Productivity and Management Review 14(4): 369–83. .
- 2002. Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 2009. Introductory Econometrics: A Modern Approach. 4th ed. Mason, OH: Thomson/South-Western. .
- 2001. Public-Sector Work Motivation: A Review of the Current Literature and a Revised Conceptual Model. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 11(4): 559–86. .
- 2007. Public Service and Motivation: Does Mission Matter? Public Administration Review 67(1): 54–64. .
- 2000. Alternative Models of Government–Nonprofit Sector Relations: Theoretical and International Perspective. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 29(1): 149–72. .