Reflections on Vincent Ostrom, Public Administration, and Polycentricity
Article first published online: 11 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2011 The American Society for Public Administration
Public Administration Review
Volume 72, Issue 1, pages 15–25, January/February 2012
How to Cite
McGinnis, M. D. and Ostrom, E. (2012), Reflections on Vincent Ostrom, Public Administration, and Polycentricity. Public Administration Review, 72: 15–25. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2011.02488.x
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 11 NOV 2011
- 2009. Challenging Institutional Analysis and Development: The Bloomington School. New York: Routledge. , and .
- 2011. The Two Social Philosophies of Ostroms’ Institutionalism. Policy Studies Journal 39(1): 29–49. , and .
- 2003. Rationalizing Capitalist Democracy: The Cold War Origins of Rational Choice Liberalism. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2008. Deliberation, Learning, and Institutional Change: The Evolution of Institutions in Judicial Settings. Constitutional Political Economy 19(3): 180–202. , and .
- 2008. Governance and Complexity—Emerging Issues for Governance Theory. Governance 21(3): 311–35. , and .
- 2009. Metropolitan Governance and Institutional Collective Action. Urban Affairs Review 44(3): 356–77. .
- 1996. FOCJ: Competitive Governments for Europe. International Review of Law and Economics 16(3): 315–27. , and .
- 2004. The New Democratic Federalism for Europe: Functional, Overlapping and Competing Jurisdictions. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar. , and .
- 2004. Governing by Network: The New Shape of the Public Sector. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press. , and .
- 2011. Does Government Fragmentation Enhance or Hinder Metropolitan Economic Growth? Papers in Regional Science 89(3): 641–57. , and .
- 1787–1788. The Federalist. New York: Modern Library, 1961. , , and .
- 1651. Leviathan or the Matter, Forme, and Power of a Commonwealth Ecclesiasticall and Civil. Ed. Michael Oakeshott. New York: Collier, 1962. .
- 2010. Consolidation, Fragmentation, and New Fiscal Federalism. In A Companion to Los Angeles, edited by William Deverell and Greg Hise, 233–49.Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell. .
- 2001. Multi-Level Governance and European Integration. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. , and .
- 2003. Unraveling the Central State, but How?, Types of Multi-Level Governance. American Political Science Review 97(2): 233–43. , and .
- 2008. The Tiebout Hypothesis 50 Years Later: Lessons and Lingering Challenges for Metropolitan Governance in the 21st Century. Public Administration Review 68(1): 97–109. .
- 2010. Is Government Consolidation the Answer? State and Local Government Review 42(3): 258–70. , and .
- 2010. Interlocal Service Cooperation in U.S. Cities: A Social Network Explanation. Public Administration Review 70(2): 268–78. , , and .
- 1999a. Polycentric Development and Governance: Readings from the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. , ed.
- 1999b. Polycentricity and Local Public Economies: Readings from the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. , ed.
- 2000. Polycentric Games and Institutions: Readings from the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. , ed.
- 2011. An Introduction to IAD and the Language of the Ostrom Workshop: A Simple Guide to a Complex Framework. Policy Studies Journal 39(1): 163–77. .
- 1981. Cities by Contract: The Politics of Political Incorporation. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 1988. Virginia, Rochester, and Bloomington: Twenty-Five Years of Public Choice and Political Science. Public Choice 56(2): 101–19. .
- 2005. Perestroika! The Raucous Rebellion in Political Science. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. , ed.
- 2003. Public Choice III. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1999. Governing Local Public Economies: Creating the Civic Metropolis. Oakland, CA: ICS Press. .
- 1965. Public Entrepreneurship: A Case Study in Ground Water Basin Management. PhD diss., University of California, Los Angeles. .
- 1983. A Public Service Industry Approach to the Study of Local Government Structure and Performance. Policy and Politics 11(3): 313–41. .
- 1990. Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action. New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2005. Understanding Institutional Diversity. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2010. Beyond Markets and States: Polycentric Governance of Complex Economic Systems. American Economic Review 100(3): 641–72. .
- 1953a. State Administration of Natural Resources in the West. American Political Science Review 47(2): 478–93. .
- 1953b. Water and Politics: A Study of Water Policies and Administration in the Development of Los Angeles. Los Angeles: Haynes Foundation. .
- 1953c. Water Supply. Los Angeles: Haynes Foundation. .
- 1959. Tools for Decision-Making in Resource Planning. Public Administration Review 19(2): 114–21. .
- 1961. Education and Politics. In Social Forces Influencing American Education, edited by Nelson B. Henry, 8–45. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1962a. The Political Economy of Water Development. American Economic Review 52(2): 450–58. .
- 1962b. The Water Economy and Its Organization. Natural Resources Journal 2(1): 55–73. .
- 1964a. Editorial Comment: Developments in the “No-Name” Fields of Public Administration. Public Administration Review 24(1): 62–63. .
- 1964b. Editorial Comment: The American Public Enterprise System. Public Administration Review 24(2): 136–37. .
- 1965a. Editorial Comment: On the Frontiers of the Great Society. Public Administration Review 25(1): 104–105. .
- 1965b. Editorial Comment: Planning and Un-planning. Public Administration Review 25(4): 337–38. .
- 1973. Can Federalism Make a Difference? Publius 3(2): 197–237. .
- 1980. Artisanship and Artifact. Public Administration Review 40(4): 309–17. .
- 1989. Some Developments in the Study of Market Choice, Public Choice, and Institutional Choice. In Handbook of Public Administration, edited by Jack Rabin, W. Bartley Hildreth, and Gerald Miller, 861–82.New York: Marcel Dekker. .
- 1991. The Meaning of American Federalism: Constituting a Self-Governing Society. San Francisco: ICS Press. .
- 1993. Epistemic Choice and Public Choice. Public Choice 77(1): 163–76. .
- 1997. The Meaning of Democracy and the Vulnerability of Democracies: A Response to Tocqueville’s Challenge. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. .
- 2006. Citizen-Sovereigns: The Source of Contestability, the Rule of Law, and the Conduct of Public Entrepreneurship. PS: Political Science & Politics 39(1): 13–17. .
- 2008a. The Intellectual Crisis in American Public Administration. 3rd ed. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press. .
- 2008b. The Political Theory of a Compound Republic: Designing the American Experiment. 3rd ed. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. .
- 2011. The Quest to Understand Human Affairs: Natural Resources Policy and Essays on Community and Collective Choice. Vol. 1. Ed. Barbara Allen. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. .
- The Quest to Understand Human Affairs: Essays on Collective, Constitutional, and Epistemic Choice. Vol. 2. Ed. Barbara Allen. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. . Forthcoming.
- 1988. Local Government in the United States. San Francisco: ICS Press. , , and .
- 1965. A Behavioral Approach to the Study of Intergovernmental Relations. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 359: 137–46. , and .
- 1971. Public Choice: A Different Approach to the Study of Public Administration. Public Administration Review 31(2): 203–16. , and .
- 1977. Public Goods and Public Choices. In Alternatives for Delivering Public Services: Toward Improved Performance, edited by E. S. Savas, 7–49.Boulder, CO: Westview Press. , and .
- 1961. The Organization of Government in Metropolitan Areas: A Theoretical Inquiry. American Political Science Review 55(4): 831–42. , , and .
- 1951. The Logic of Liberty: Reflections and Rejoinders. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2010. Working Together: Collective Action, the Commons, and Multiple Methods in Practice. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. , , and .
- 1964. Federalism: Origin, Operation, Significance. Boston: Little, Brown. .
- 1982. Liberalism against Populism: A Confrontation between the Theory of Democracy and the Theory of Social Choice. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman. .
- 2009. The Practice of Constitutional Development: Vincent Ostrom’s Quest to Understand Human Affairs. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. , , and .
- 1992. The Emergence of Autocracy in Liberia: Tragedy and Challenge. San Francisco: ICS Press. .
- 2005. Beyond Plunder: Toward Democratic Governance in Liberia. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner. .
- 1996. Analyzing Politics: Rationality, Behavior, and Institutions. New York: W. W. Norton. , and .
- 1990. The Half-Century’s “Great Books” in Public Administration. Public Administration Review 50(2): 249–64. .
- 2009. The Struggle to Constitute and Sustain Productive Orders. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. , , and .
- 1956. A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures. Journal of Political Economy 64(5): 416–24. .
- 1835. Democracy in America. Ed. J. P. Mayer. Trans. George Lawrence. New York: Anchor, 1969. .
- 1998. Networks, Management and Institutions: Public Administration as “Normal Science.”Public Administration 76(2): 229–52. .
- 2010. Resilience in Public Administration: The Work of Elinor and Vincent Ostrom from a Public Administration Perspective. Public Administration Review 70(2): 193–202. .