The Cross-Sectional Dispersion of Commercial Real Estate Returns and Rent Growth: Time Variation and Economic Fluctuations
Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2008
© 2008 American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association
Real Estate Economics
Volume 36, Issue 3, pages 403–439, Fall 2008
How to Cite
Plazzi, A., Torous, W. and Valkanov, R. (2008), The Cross-Sectional Dispersion of Commercial Real Estate Returns and Rent Growth: Time Variation and Economic Fluctuations. Real Estate Economics, 36: 403–439. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6229.2008.00218.x
- Issue online: 30 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2008
- 1996. Bubbles in Metropolitan Housing Markets. Journal of Housing Research 7: 191–207. and .
- 1997. Asymmetric Business Cycles: Theory and Time Series Evidence. Journal of Monetary Economics 40: 501–533. and .
- 1990. Stock Returns and Volatility. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 25: 203–214. and .
- 1983. Nonmonetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in Propagation of the Great Depression. American Economic Review 73: 257–276.
- 1988. Credit, Money and Aggregate Demand. American Economic Review 78: 435–439. and .
- 1989. Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations. American Economic Review 79: 14–31. and .
- 1995. Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission. Journal of Economic Perspectives 9: 27–48. and .
- 1991. The Credit Crunch. Brooking Papers on Economic Activity 2: 205–247. , and .
- 1976. Studies in Stock Price Volatility Changes. Proceedings of American Statistical Association, Business and Economic Statistics Section, 177–181.
- 1992. ARCH Modeling in Finance: A Review of the Theory and Empirical Evidence. Journal of Econometrics 52: 5–59. , and .
- 2001. Have Individual Stocks Become More Volatile? An Empirical Exploration of Idiosyncratic Risk. The Journal of Finance 56: 1–44. , , and .
- 1997. The Econometrics of Financial Markets. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. , and .
- 1987. Stock Returns and the Term Structure. Journal of Financial Economics 18: 373–399.
- 1991. A Variance Decomposition for Stock Returns. Economic Journal 101: 157–179. .
- 1992. No News is Good News: An Asymmetric Model of Changing Volatility in Stock Returns. Journal of Financial Economics 31: 281–318. and .
- 1988a. Stock Prices, Earnings, and Expected Dividends. The Journal of Finance 43: 661–676. and .
- 1988b. The Dividend-Price Ratio and Expectation of Future Dividends and Discount Factors. Review of Financial Studies 1: 195–228. and .
- 2003. How Strong is Co-Movement in Employment over the Business Cycle? Evidence from State/Industry Data. Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia Working Paper . and .
- 2001. Regional Income Fluctuations: Common Trends and Common Cycles. Review of Economics and Statistics 83: 446–456. and .
- 2000. Real Estate and the Macroeconomy. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 2: 119–162.
- 1989. The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes. American Economic Review 79: 125–137. and .
- 2006. REIT Mimicking Portfolio Analysis. International Real Estate Review 9: 95–111. , , and .
- 1982. The Stochastic Behavior of Common Stock Variances: Value, Leverage and Interest Rate Effects. Journal of Financial Economics 10: 407–432.
- 1990a. A Nonparametric Investigation of Duration Dependence in the American Business Cycle. Journal of Political Economy 98: 596–616. and .
- 1990b. Measuring Business Cycles: A Modern Perspective. Review of Economics and Statistics 78: 67–77. and .
- 1969. Risk in the Equity Markets: An Empirical Appraisal of Market Efficiency. Yale Economic Essays 9: 3–45.
- 1987. Estimation of Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: the ARCH-M Model. Econometrica 55: 391–407. , . and .
- 1989. Business Conditions and Expected Returns on Stocks and Bonds. Journal of Financial Economics 25: 23–49. and .
- 2003. Monetary Policy, Housing, and Heterogeneous Regional Markets. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking 35: 557–589. and .
- 1987. Expected Stock Returns and Volatility. Journal of Financial Economics 19: 3–29. , and .
- 1993. Temporal Aggregation in Real Estate Return Indices. AREUEA Journal 21: 141–166.
- 2000. Commercial Real Estate Analysis and Investments (2nd ed.). Cincinnati , OH : South-Western Educational Publishing. , , and .
- 1996. Stochastic Volatility. Handbook of Statistics, Vol. 14. Amsterdam: North-Holland , 177–181. , and .
- 2004. Predicting Volatility: Getting the Most out of Return Data Sampled at Different Frequencies. Journal of Econometrics. Forthcoming. , and .
- 1993. On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks. The Journal of Finance 48: 1779–1801. , and .
- 2003. Idiosynchratic Risk Matters! The Journal of Finance 58: 975–1007. and .
- 1989. A New Approach to the Economics Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle. Econometrica 57: 357–384.
- 1986. Predicting Returns in the Stock and Bond Markets. Journal of Financial Economics 17: 357–390. and .
- 1999. Leverage and House Price Dynamics in U.S. Cities. Rand Journal of Economics 30: 498–514. and
- 1965. Security Prices and Risk: The Theory and Comparative Analysis of A.T.&T. and Leading Industrials. Conference presentation. The Economics of Regulated Public Utilities. University of Chicago Business School .
- 1996. Locational Differences in Private and Public Real Estate Investment. Real Estate Finance 13: 52–64. , , and .
- 2000. Institutional Investors Tilt Their Real Estate Holdings Toward Quality, Too. The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 21: 113–140. and .
- 1973. An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model. Econometrica 41: 867–887.
- 1980. On Estimating the Expected Return on the Market: An Exploratory Investigation. Journal of Financial Economics 8: 323–361.
- 1984. Are Economic Time Series Asymmetric over the Business Cycle Journal of Political Economy 92: 307–328.
- 2003. Business Cycle Phases in U.S. States. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Working Paper . , and .
- 2004. Structural Breaks and Regional Disparities in the Transmission of Monetary Policy. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Working Paper . and .
- 2004. Expected Returns and the Expected Growth in Rents of Commercial Real Estate. Working Paper. , and .
- 1989. Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change over Time The Journal of Finance 44: 1115–1153.
- 1990. Stock Volatility and the Crash of 87. Review of Financial Studies 3: 77–102.
- 1998. Resolving the Puzzling Intertemporal Relation between the Market Risk Premium and Conditional Market Variance: A Two-Factor Approach. The Journal of Finance 52: 575–603.
- 1993. Business Cycle Asymmetry: A Deeper Look. Economic Inquiry 31: 224–236.
- 1999. Predictive Regressions. Journal of Financial Economics 54: 375–421.
- 1999. Inflation Forecasting. Journal of Monetary Economics 44: 293–335. and .
- 2005. On Predicting Stock Returns with Nearly Integrated Explanantory Variables. Journal of Business 77: 380–403. , and .
- 1989. A Markov Model of Heteroskedasticity, Risk, and Learning in the Stock Market. Journal of Financial Economics 25: 3–22. , and .
- 1994. Time Variations and Covariations in the Expectation and Volatility of Stock Market Returns. The Journal of Finance 49: 515–541.