*Direct correspondence to Mary J. Fischer, 344 Mansfield Rd. Unit 2068, Storrs, CT 06268 〈firstname.lastname@example.org〉. For purposes of replication, coding information is available on request. This research uses data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Freshmen, which was funded by the Mellon Foundation and is currently housed at Princeton University's Office of Population Research.
Does Campus Diversity Promote Friendship Diversity? A Look at Interracial Friendships in College*
Article first published online: 17 JUL 2008
© 2008 by the Southwestern Social Science Association
Social Science Quarterly
Volume 89, Issue 3, pages 631–655, September 2008
How to Cite
Fischer, M. J. (2008), Does Campus Diversity Promote Friendship Diversity? A Look at Interracial Friendships in College. Social Science Quarterly, 89: 631–655. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6237.2008.00552.x
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 17 JUL 2008
- 1958. The Nature of Prejudice. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
- 1977. Inequality and Heterogeneity: A Primitive Theory of Social Structure. New York: Free Press. .
- 2006. “The Ties That Bind and Those That Don't: Toward Reconciling Group Threat and Contact Theories of Prejudice. Social Forces 84:2179–2204.
- 2004. “Nice to Know You? Testing Contact, Cultural, and Group Threat Theories of Anti-Black and Anti-Hispanic Stereotypes. Social Science Quarterly 85:257–80. , and .
- 2003. Empathy or Antipathy? The Consequences of Racially and Socially Diverse Peers on Attitudes and Behaviors. Working Paper Series. Chicago, IL: Joint Center for Policy Research. , , , , and .
- 2002. “Contact Theory Extended: The Effects of Prior Racial Contact on Current Social Ties. Social Science Quarterly 83:745–61. , , and .
- 1997. Ethnic Conflict: Commerce, Culture, and the Contact Hypthesis. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 2004. “Schools' Role in Shaping Race Relations: Evidence on Friendliness and Conflict. Social Problems 51:587–612. .
- 1999. The Compelling Need for Diversity in Education. Available at 〈http://www.vpcomm.umich.edu/admissions/research/〉. .
- 1987a. “Opportunities and Constraints: Black-White Differences in the Formation of Interracial Friendships. Child Development 58:1358–71. , and .
- 1987b. “Students' Interracial Friendships: Individual Characteristics, Structural Effects, and Racial Differences. American Journal of Education 95:563–83. , and .
- 1989. “Interracial Friendship Choices in Secondary Schools. American Sociological Review 54:67–78. , and .
- 1986. “‘Some of My Best Friends Are Black …’: Interracial Friendship and Whites' Racial Attitudes. Public Opinion Quarterly 50:459–586. , and .
- 2000. “School Racial Composition and Adolescent Racial Homophily. Social Science Quarterly 81:810–25. , and .
- 2002. The Source of the River: The Social Origins of Freshmen at America's Selective Colleges and Universities. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. , , , and .
- 2001. “Birds of a Feather: Homophily in Social Networks. Annual Review of Sociology 27:415–44. , , and .
- 2001. “Race, School Integration, and Friendship Segregation in America. American Journal of Sociology 107:679–716. .
- 1998. “Intergroup Contact Theory. Annual Review of Psychology 49:65–85. .
- 2006. “A Meta-Analytic Test of Intergroup Contact Theory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 90:751–83. , and .
- 1995. “Interracial Contact and Black Racial Attitudes: The Contact Hypothesis and Selectivity Bias. Social Forces 74:205–26. , and .
- 2003. “Beyond Black and White: The Present and Future of Multiracial Friendship Segregation. American Sociological Review 68:540–66. , and .
- 2004. HLM 6: Hierarchical Linear and Nonlinear Modeling. Lincolnwood, IL: Scientific Software International, Inc. , , , and .
- 2005. How Do Friendships Form? NBER Working Paper W11530. Available at 〈http://ssrn.com/abstract=776569〉. , and .
- 1996. “Making Contact? Black-White Social Interaction in an Urban Setting. American Journal of Sociology 101:1306–32. , , , and .
- 1993. “The Contact Hypothesis Revisited: Black-White Interaction and Positive Racial Attitudes. Social Forces 71:781–95. , and .
- 2002. “Measuring Inter-Racial Friendships. Social Science Research 31:576.
- 1999. Multilevel Analysis: An Introduction to Basic and Advanced Multilevel Modeling. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , and .