John Tuman will share all data and coding for the purposes of replication.
Conscience and Context: Attitudes Toward Abortion in Mexico†
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
© 2012 by the Southwestern Social Science Association
Social Science Quarterly
Volume 94, Issue 1, pages 100–112, March 2013
How to Cite
Tuman, J. P., Roth-Johnson, D. and Jelen, T. (2013), Conscience and Context: Attitudes Toward Abortion in Mexico. Social Science Quarterly, 94: 100–112. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6237.2012.00905.x
- Issue published online: 4 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
- 1995. “It's Abortion, Stupid: Policy Voting in the 1992 Presidential Election.” Journal of Politics 57:176–86. .
- 1997. “Abortion: Evidence of an Issue Evolution.” American Journal of Political Science 41:718–37.
- 2002. “Knowledge and Opinions About Abortion Law Among Mexican Youth.” International Family Planning Perspectives 28(4):205–13. , , and .
- 2003. “Adolescents’ Decision-Making and Attitudes Towards Abortion in Northeast Brazil.” Journal of Biosocial Science 35:71–82. , , , , and .
- 2010. El aborto en la opinión pública Uruguaya. Montevideo, Uruguay: Mujer y Salud en Uruguay. , and .
- 2007. “Elite Polarization Meets Mass Moderation in Mexico's 2006 Elections.” PS: Political Science and Politics 40(1):33–38. , and .
- 1992. Between Two Absolutes: Public Opinion and the Politics of Abortion Boulder, CO: Westview. , , and .
- El Universal. 2006. “AMLO evade el tema del aborto.” March 10, 2006, p. 1.
- 2004. “Policy Implications of a National Public Opinion Survey on Abortion in Mexico.” Reproductive Health Matters 12(24):S65–S74. , , , , , and .
- 1982. In a Different Voice. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. .
- 2008. “Sources of Abortion Attitudes in Poland, Denmark, and the United States.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southern Political Science Association, New Orleans, LA, January.
- 1998. “Context and Conscience: The Catholic Church as an Agent of Political Socialization in Western Europe.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 37:28–40. ., and ,
- 2003. “Causes and Consequences of Public Attitudes Toward Abortion: A Review and Research Agenda.” Political Research Quarterly 56:489–500. ., and .
- 2005. “Continuity and Change in Attitudes Toward Abortion: Poland and the United States.” Politics and Gender 1:297–315. ., and .
- 2008. “Estimates of Induced Abortion in Mexico: What's Changed Between 1990 and 2006?” International Family Planning Perspectives 34(4):158–68. , , , and .
- 2006. “Homosexuality as a Litmus Test of Democracy and Postmodern Value Orientations.” Pp. 233–58 in Sabrina P. Ramet and D. Fink-Hafner, eds., Democratic Transition in Slovenia: Value Transformation, Education, and Media. College Station, TX: Texas A&M Press. .
- 2000. “Abortion and Politics in Mexico: Context is All.” Reproductive Health Matters 8(16):10–23. , and .
- 1994. “Encuesta de opinión sobre el aborto en la Ciudad de México.” Salud Pública de México 36(1):36–45. , , , and .
- 2006. “The Politics of Abortion in Mexico: The Paradox of the Doble Discurso.” Pp. 154–79 in Wendy Chavkin and Ellen Chesler, eds., Where Human Rights Begin: Health, Sexuality, and Women in the New Millenium. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press. .
- 2003. “Latina/Latino Protestantism.” Pp. 193–97 in Gary Laderman and Luís D. León, eds., Religion and American Cultures: An Encyclopedia of Traditions (Vol. 1). Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO. .
- 1992. “El aborto: Quién debe tomar la decisión?” Demos 5:35–36. , and .
- 2005. Mexico's New Politics: The PAN and Democratic Change. Boulder, CO: Lynne Reiner. .
- 2002. “Social Actors and Discourse on Abortion in the Mexican Press: The Paulina Case.” Reproductive Health Matters 10:103–10. .
- 2009. “Religious Competition and Ethnic Mobilization in Latin America: Why the Catholic Church Promotes Indigenous Movements in Mexico.” American Political Science Review 103:323–42. .
- World Values Survey. 2005. Documentation of Value Surveys: Mexico. Available at 〈http://www.wvsevsdb.com/wvs/WVSDocumentation.jsp?Idioma=I〉 (Accessed February 5, 2009).
- 2006. “Abortion Opinion Research in Latin America and the Caribbean: A Review of the Literature.” Studies in Family Planning 37(4):225–40. , , and .