Timken Professor of Finance, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University. Some of the ideas in this paper resulted from discussions with Keith Ambactsheer, David Howarth, Nancy Jacob, Jay Light, Robert Litzenberger, Barr Rosenberg, James Scott and Polly Shouse. This research was sponsored by the Stanford Program in Finance. Major contributors to the Stanford Program in Finance are: BankAmerica Foundation, The First Boston Corporation, the Chase Manhattan Bank, Continental Bank Foundation, The Dean Witter Foundation, General Electric Company, Goldman, Sachs & Co., Great Western Financial Corporation, E. F. Hutton and Co., Morgan Guaranty Trust Company, Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc., Salomon Brothers, Security Pacific National Bank and Wells Fargo Bank.
Decentralized Investment Management
Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
1981 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 36, Issue 2, pages 217–234, May 1981
How to Cite
SHARPE, W. F. (1981), Decentralized Investment Management. The Journal of Finance, 36: 217–234. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1981.tb00436.x
- Issue published online: 30 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions and you will be able to log in to access content. Some users may also log in directly via OpenAthens.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!