University of Chicago and Harvard University, respectively. We acknowledge with thanks helpful comments on earlier versions by Paul Asquith, Michael Brennan, Sudipto Bhattacharya, George Constantinides, Douglas Diamond, Chrisostomo Garcia, John Gould, Sanford Grossman, Bengt Holmstrom, Gur Huberman, Jonathan Ingersoll, Kose John, Charles Kahn, Edward Lazear, James Ohlson, Artur Raviv, Richard Roll, Robert Verrecchia, Jerold Warner, and Joseph Williams.
Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information
Version of Record online: 30 APR 2012
© 1985 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 40, Issue 4, pages 1031–1051, September 1985
How to Cite
MILLER, M. H. and ROCK, K. (1985), Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information. The Journal of Finance, 40: 1031–1051. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1985.tb02362.x
- Issue online: 30 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 APR 2012
- 3Equity Issues and Stock Price Dilution.” Mimeo, Harvard Business School, May 1983.and .“
- 5Towards a Managerial Theory of the Firm in Incomplete Markets: Draft Notes for Seminar Presentation.” Mimeo, New York University, November 1983..“
- 7Shareholder Wealth, Information Signaling and the Specially Designated Dividend—An Empirical Study.” Revised working Paper, University of Utah, June 1982..“
- 8Case Problems in Finance. Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 1975., , and .
- 9Common Stock Repurchases: An Analysis of Returns to Bondholders.” Journal of Financial Economics 9 (June 1981), 113–38..“
- 11The Financial Policy of Corporations, fifth ed., 2 vols. New York: Ronald Press, 1953..
- 12Optimal Release of Information by Firms.” Working Paper #102, CRSP, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, August 1983..“
- 14Insider Trading, Secret Agents, Evidentiary Privileges and the Production of Information.” The Supreme Court Review (1982), 309–65..“
- 15Dividend Policy: An Empirical Analysis.” American Statistical Assn. Journal 63 (December 1968).and .“
- 16The Theory of Finance. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1971.and .
- 18Informational Imperfections in the Capital Market and Macroeconomic Fluctuations.” American Economic Review 74 (May 1984), 194–205., , and . “
- 19A Sequential Signalling Model of Convertible Debt Call Policy.” Revised mimeo, Department of Finance, J. L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, February 1984.and . “
- 20The Effect of Asymmetric Information on Firm Capital Structure and Investment.” Mimeo, University of British Columbia, December 1979.. “
- 22Analyse De L'Efficience Du Marche Boursier Americain Au Travers Des Augmentations De Capital Par Emission D'Actions. Institut d'Administration et de Gestion, Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium, 1980..
- 28Earnings Innovations, Earnings, Persistence and Rational Firm Valuation.” Mimeo, University of Chicago, February 1983., , and . “
- 30The Distribution of Incomes of Corporations Among Dividends, Retained Earnings and Taxes.” American Economic Review 46 (May 1956).. “
- 31Aggregate Dividend Behavior and Its Implications for Tests of Stock Market Rationality.” Working Paper #1475–83, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, September 1983.and .“
- 32The Impact of Capital Structure Change on Firm Value: Some Estimates.” Mimeo, UCLA, February 1982.. “
- 35Rational Expectations and the Theory of Price Movements.” Econometrica 24 (1961).. “
- 38Economics of Corporation Law and Securities Regulations. Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1980.and .
- 42Information and Capital Markets.” In William Sharpe and Cathryn M. Cootner (ed.), Financial Economics: Essays in Honor of Paul Cootner. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1982.. “
- 45Does It Pay to Manipulate EPS?” Chase Financial Quarterly 1 (1982).. “