University of Wisconsin at Madison and Cornell University, respectively. The financial support of the C.I.M. Doctoral Fellowship Program (Brussels, Belgium) and the Cornell Graduate School of Management is gratefully acknowledged. We received helpful comments from Seymour Smidt, Dale Morse, Peter Bernstein, Fischer Black, Robert Jarrow, Edwin Elton, and Ross Watts.
Does the Stock Market Overreact?
Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
1985 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 40, Issue 3, pages 793–805, July 1985
How to Cite
De BONDT, W. F. M. and THALER, R. (1985), Does the Stock Market Overreact?. The Journal of Finance, 40: 793–805. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1985.tb05004.x
- Issue published online: 30 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
- 5“Note on the Behavior of Residual Security Returns for Winner and Loser Portfolios.” Journal of Accounting and Economics 3 (December 1981), 233–41.and .
- 7“Does the Stock Market Overreact to New Information?” Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Cornell University, 1985..
- 8The New Contrarian Investment Strategy. New York: Random House, 1982..
- 9Foundations of Finance. New York: Basic Books, Inc., 1976..
- 10The Intelligent Investor, A Book of Practical Counsel, 3rd ed. New York: Harper & Brothers Publishers, 1959..
- 11The Intelligent Investor, A Book of Practical Counsel, 4th rev. ed. New York: Harper & Brothers Publishers, 1973..
- 13“Beliefs, Information, Martingales, and Arbitrage Pricing.” Working Paper, Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University, November 1983..
- 14“Intuitive Prediction: Biases and Corrective Procedures.” In D. Kahneman, P. Slovic, and A. Tversky, (Eds.), Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases. London: Cambridge University Press, 1982.and .
- 15“Further Evidence on Size Effects and Yield Effects: The Implications of Stock Return Seasonality.” Working Paper, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, April 1982..
- 17The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money. London: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1964 (reprint of the 1936 edition)..
- 18“Stock Prices as Rational Forecasters of Future Cash Flows.” Working Paper, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, November 1981..
- 19“Aggregate Dividend Behavior and Its Implications for Tests of Stock Market Rationality.” Working Paper No. 1475-83, Sloan School of Management, MIT, September 1983.and .
- 20“Variance Increases Subsequent to Stock Splits: An Empirical Aberration.” Working Paper, Graduate School of Business, Columbia University, September 1983.and .
- 23“Vas ist das?”. Journal of Portfolio Management 10 (Winter 1983), 18–28..
- 24“The Relevance of Quasi-Rationality in Competitive Markets.” American Economic Review 75 (1985), forthcoming.and .
- 27“Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?” American Economic Review 71 (June 1981), 421–36..
- 28The Theory of Investment Value. Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1956 (reprint of 1938 edition)..