School of Business Administration, University of Michigan. Philip L. Rettew, Jr. of Merrill Lynch's Market Analysis Department provided the data that make this paper possible. I would also like to thank Richard Andrews, Robert Ariel, Cliff Ball, Michael Bradley, Wayne Ferson, Greg Niehaus, Donald Keim, Krishna Ramaswamy, Nejat Seyhun, Jeremy Siegel, Michael Smirlock, Edward Snyder, and William Ziemba for useful comments, and Navin Chopra and Tae Park for research assistance. I would particularly like to thank Robert S. Hansen for his extensive comments. Helpful comments were also received in workshops at the University of Michigan, Washington University, the April 1986 Los Angeles TIMS/ORSA meetings, and the December 1987 AFA meetings. This research was supported by a summer research grant from the University of Michigan Business School
The Buying and Selling Behavior of Individual Investors at the Turn of the Year
Version of Record online: 30 APR 2012
© 1988 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 43, Issue 3, pages 701–717, July 1988
How to Cite
RITTER, J. R. (1988), The Buying and Selling Behavior of Individual Investors at the Turn of the Year. The Journal of Finance, 43: 701–717. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1988.tb04601.x
- Issue online: 30 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 APR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!