William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Rochester, and National Bureau of Economic Research. I received helpful comments from David Backus, Fischer Black, Marie Davidian, Harry DeAngelo, Beni Lauterbach, Ron Masulis, Grant McQueen, Robert Merton, Dan Nelson, Charles Plosser, Paul Seguin, Robert Stambaugh, Jerold Zimmerman, seminar participants at Yale University and at the Universities of Chicago, Michigan, Rochester, and Washington, and three anonymous referees. Ken French and René Stulz deserve special credit for their help. The Bradley Policy Research Center at the University of Rochester provided support for this research.
Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change Over Time?
Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
1989 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 44, Issue 5, pages 1115–1153, December 1989
How to Cite
SCHWERT, G. W. (1989), Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change Over Time?. The Journal of Finance, 44: 1115–1153. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1989.tb02647.x
- Issue published online: 30 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
- 1988, Stock prices under time-varying dividend risk: An exact solution in an infinite-horizon general equilibrium model, Journal of Monetary Economics 22, 375–393. ,
- 1976, Studies of stock price volatility changes, in: Proceedings of the 1976 Meetings of the Business and Economics Statistics Section, American Statistical Association, 177–181. ,
- 1976, Valuing corporate securities: Some effects of bond indenture provisions, Journal of Finance 31, 351–367. and ,
- 1988, A capital asset pricing model with time varying covariances, Journal of Political Economy 96, 116–131. , , and ,
- 1970, Distribution of residual autocorrelations in autoregressive-integrated-moving average time series models, Journal of the American Statistical Association 65, 1509–1526. and ,
- 1982, The stochastic behavior of common stock variances: Value, leverage and interest rate effects, Journal of Financial Economics 10, 407–432. ,
- 1986, Changing balance sheet relationships in the U.S. manufacturing sector, 1926–77, In Benjamin M. Friedman, ed: The Changing Roles of Debt and Equity in Financing U.S. Capital Formation (University of Chicago Press, Chicago), 81–109. and ,
- Citibase Economic Database, 1946–86 [machine-readable magnetic datafile], 1978 (Citibank, N.A., New York).
- Cowles, Alfred III and Associates, 1939, Common Stock Indexes, 2nd ed., Cowles Commission Monograph no. 3 (Principia Press, Inc., Bloomington, IN).
- 1987, Variance function estimation, Journal of the American Statistical Association 82, 1079–1091. and ,
- Dow Jones & Co., 1972, The Dow Jones Averages, 1885–1970, Maurice L. Farrell, ed. (Dow Jones & Co., New York).
- 1982, Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity with estimates of the variance of United Kingdom inflation, Econometrica 50, 987–1007. ,
- 1986, Modeling the persistence of conditional variances, Econometric Reviews 5, 1–50. and ,
- 1976, Inflation uncertainty and expected returns on Treasury bills, Journal of Political Economy 84, 427–448. ,
- 1988a, Permanent and transitory components of stock prices, Journal of Political Economy 96, 246–273. and ,
- 1988b, Dividend yields and expected stock returns, Journal of Financial Economics 22, 3–25. and ,
- 1989, Business conditions and expected returns on stocks and bonds, Journal of Financial Economics, Forthcoming. and ,
- Federal Reserve Board, 1976a, Banking and Monetary Statistics, 1914–1941 (U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC).
- Federal Reserve Board, 1976b, Banking and Monetary Statistics, 1941–1970 (U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC).
- Federal Reserve Board, 1986, Industrial Production, 1986 Edition (U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC).
- 1986, Stock return variances: The arrival of information and the reaction of traders, Journal of Financial Economics 17, 5–26. and ,
- 1987, Expected stock returns and volatility. Journal of Financial Economics 19, 3–29. , , and ,
- 1963, A Monetary History of the United States, 1867–1960 (Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ). and ,
- 1976, Introduction to Statistical Time Series (John Wiley, New York). ,
- 1963, Studies in the National Balance Sheet of the United States, Vol. II (Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ). , , and ,
- 1988, Rational-expectations econometric analysis of changes in regime: An investigation of the term structure of interest rates, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 12, 385–423. ,
- 1982, Large sample properties of generalized method of moments estimators, Econometrica 50, 1029–1054. ,
- 1979, Trends in corporate profitability and capital costs, In R. Lindsay, ed.: The Nation's Capital Needs: Three Studies (Committee for Economic Development, New York). and ,
- 1986, Monetary policy regime shifts and the unusual behavior of real interest rates, Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy 24, 231–274. and ,
- Ibbotson Associates, 1986, Stocks, Bonds, Bills, and Inflation: 1986 Yearbook (Ibbotson Associates, Chicago).
- 1987, The relation between price changes and trading volume: A survey, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 22, 109–126. ,
- 1986, Predicting returns in the stock and bond markets, Journal of Financial Economics 17, 357–390. and ,
- 1969, The Advanced Theory of Statistics, Vol. I, 3rd ed. (Hafner, New York). and ,
- 1986, Variance bounds tests and stock price valuation models, Journal of Political Economy 94, 953–1001. ,
- 1989, Consumption volatility, production volatility, spot rate volatility and the returns on Treasury bills and bonds, Journal of Financial Economics, Forthcoming. ,
- 1938, The Movements of Interest Rates, Bond Yields and Stock Prices in the United States Since 1856 (National Bureau of Economic Research, New York). ,
- 1983, Long- and short-term interest rates in a risky world, Journal of Monetary Economics 12, 485–518. and ,
- 1980, On estimating the expected return on the market: An exploratory investigation, Journal of Financial Economics 8, 323–361. ,
- Moore, Geoffrey H., ed., 1961, Business Cycle Indicators, Vol. II, Basic Data on Cyclical Indicators (Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ).
- 1973, The variability of the market factor of New York Stock Exchange, Journal of Business 46, 434–453. ,
- 1984, Econometric issues in the analysis of regressions with generated regressors, International Economic Review 25, 221–247. ,
- 1988, The econometric analysis of models with risk terms, Journal of Applied Econometrics 3, 87–105. and ,
- 1984, Risk, inflation, and the stock market, American Economic Review 74, 335–351. ,
- 1986, The persistence of volatility and stock market fluctuations, American Economic Review 76, 1142–1151. and ,
- 1988, Mean reversion in stock prices, Journal of Financial Economics 22, 27–59. and ,
- 1986a, Spurious volatility in historical unemployment data, Journal of Political Economy 94, 1–37. ,
- 1986b, Is the stabilization of the postwar economy a figment of the data American Economic Review 76, 314–334. ,
- 1989, The prewar business cycle reconsidered: New estimates of Gross National Product, 1869–1908, Journal of Political Economy 97, 1–37. ,
- 1987, Effects of model specification on tests for unit roots in macroeconomic data, Journal of Monetary Economics 20, 73–103. , ,
- 1989a, Tests for unit roots: A Monte Carlo investigation, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 7, 147–159. , ,
- 1989b, Business cycles, financial crises and stock volatility, Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy 31, Forthcoming. , ,
- 1989c, Stock volatility and the crash of 87, Review of Financial Studies, Forthcoming. , ,
- 1989d, Indexes of United States stock prices from 1802–1987, Journal of Business, Forthcoming. , ,
- 1988, The stabilization of the U.S. economy: Evidence from the stock market, American Economic Review 78, 1067–1079. ,
- 1981a, Do stock prices move too much to be justified by subsequent changes in dividends, American Economic Review 75, 421–436. ,
- 1981b, The use of volatility measures in assessing market efficiency, Journal of Finance 36, 291–304. ,
- 1935, Fluctuations in American Business, 1790–1860 (Harvard University Press, Cambridge). and ,
- Standard & Poor's, 1986, Security Price Index Record, 1986 ed. (Standard & Poor's Corp., New York).
- 1986, Secular patterns in the financing of U.S. corporations, In Benjamin M. Friedman, ed.: The Changing Roles of Debt and Equity in Financing U.S. Capital Formation (University of Chicago Press, Chicago). ,
- 1989, A Markov model of heteroskedasticity, risk and learning in the stock market, Journal of Financial Economics, Forthcoming. , , and ,
- 1933, Wholesale prices, 1720 to 1889, inclusive, in Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC). and ,
- 1980, A heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimator and a direct test for heteroskedasticity, Econometrica 48, 817–838. ,
- 1987, A comparison of annual common stock returns: 1871–1925 with 1926–85, Journal of Business 60, 239–258. and ,
- Working, Holbrook, 1960, A note on the correlation of first differences of averages in random chains, Econometrica 28, 916–918.