London Business School and Anderson School of Management, UCLA, respectively. We thank Laura Quinn for collecting some of the data. We wish to thank members of the legal fraternity who have given us valuable advice on Chapter 11 proceedings including Judge Samuel Bufford, Professor R. Jordan (School of Law, UCLA), Ken Klee, Professor T. Jackson (School of Law, University of Virginia), and Leo Herzel (Mayer, Brown and Platt). We would also like to thank Mr. W. A. Mallory (Chief Financial Officer, Wickes) for giving us his insights on the reorganization process of Wickes Group. We are grateful to David Hirshleifer and Ted Anderson for valuable discussions. This paper was presented at seminars at UBC, UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill, LSE, City Business School, London Business School, the University of Virginia at Charlottesville, Keele University, and Warwick University. We are grateful for the numerous suggestions and comments of participants, especially those of Jim Brandon, Dick Brealey, Rick Boebel, David Brown, Bob Conroy, Phil Dybvig, Bob Eisenbeis, Mark Flannery, Robert Harris, Stewart Hodges, Mervyn King, Colin Mayer, Stan Ornstein, Eric Rasmusen, Dick Roll, Eduardo Schwartz, Steve Schaefer, Mike Selby, Eli Talmor, Anjan Thakor, Sheridan Titman, Ian Walker, David Webb, and Joe Williams. The paper was presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Finance Association at New York, 1988. We wish to thank our discussant Robert Damon for helpful comments. We wish to acknowledge financial support from UCLA's Centre for Finance and Real Estate. This work was begun when one of the authors was visiting UCLA.
An Empirical Investigation of U.S. Firms in Reorganization
Version of Record online: 30 APR 2012
© 1989 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 44, Issue 3, pages 747–769, July 1989
How to Cite
FRANKS, J. R. and TOROUS, W. N. (1989), An Empirical Investigation of U.S. Firms in Reorganization. The Journal of Finance, 44: 747–769. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1989.tb04389.x
- Issue online: 30 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 APR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!