Brown is from the Leonard Stern School of Business, New York University. Goetzmann is from the School of Management, Yale University. We thank Bent Christiansen, Edwin Elton, Mark Grinblatt, Martin Gruber, Gur Huberman, Roger Ibbotson, Philippe Jorion, Robert Korajczyk, Josef Lakonishok, Jayendu Patel, Nadav Peles, Stephen Ross, William Schwert, Erik Sirri, an anonymous referee, and editor René Stulz for helpful comments. We thank participants in the following conferences and workshops for their input: the 1993 Western Finance Association Meetings, the October 1993 NBER program on asset pricing, the 1994 AFA session on the behavior of institutional investors, and finance workshops at Columbia Business School, The University of Texas, the University of Illinois at Champagne, and the Yale School of Management. We also thank Nadav Peles for programming assistance and Stephen Livingston for data collection. We thank Ibbotson Associates and Morningstar, Inc., for providing data used in the analysis. All errors are the sole responsibility of the authors. Roger Ibbotson contributed substantially to the preliminary version of this article. This article was formerly circulated as “Attrition and Mutual Fund Performance.”
Version of Record online: 30 APR 2012
© 1995 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 50, Issue 2, pages 679–698, June 1995
How to Cite
BROWN, S. J. and GOETZMANN, W. N. (1995), Performance Persistence. The Journal of Finance, 50: 679–698. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1995.tb04800.x
- Issue online: 30 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 APR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!