Graduate School of Business Administration, Harvard University. I would like to thank Eli Berman, Robert Dammon, Joanne Dushay, Steve Kaplan, Tarun Khanna, Josh Lerner, Andrew Metrick, Mitch Petersen, Jim Poterba, Raghu Rajan, Richard Ruback, Bill Sahlman, Andrei Shleifer, Jeremy Stein, René Stulz, Rob Vishny, Luigi Zingales, two anonymous referees, and seminar participants at the 1994 Western Finance Association meetings, the Financial Decision and Control Workshop at the Harvard Business School, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, the University of Illinois, and the University of Chicago for helpful comments and suggestions. Phil Hamilton provided invaluable assistance in collecting the Venture Economics data. Chris Allen provided technical assistance with COMPUSTAT. Any errors or omissions are my own. This research was funded by the Division of Research at the Graduate School of Business Administration, Harvard University and the Center for Research on Securities Prices, University of Chicago.
Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital
Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
1995 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 50, Issue 5, pages 1461–1489, December 1995
How to Cite
GOMPERS, P. A. (1995), Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital. The Journal of Finance, 50: 1461–1489. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1995.tb05185.x
- Issue published online: 30 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions and you will be able to log in to access content. Some users may also log in directly via OpenAthens.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!