Brown and Starks are from the University of Texas at Austin, and Harlow is from Fidelity Management & Research. The authors acknowledge the helpful suggestions of Brad Barber, Christopher Blake, Jeff Coles, Will Goetzmann, David Ikenberry, Chris James, Jon Karpoff, Paul Laux, Dan Quan, Henri Servaes, Meir Statman, Richard Thaler, Charles Trzcinka, Marc Zenner, and the participants of workshops at the University of Texas, Yale University, University of North Carolina, University of California-Davis, and University of Colorado-Denver. We would especially like to acknowledge the contributions of René Stulz (the editor) and an anonymous referee. Earlier versions of this paper have also been presented at the American Finance Association, Financial Management Association, and European Finance Association meetings. The opinions and analyses presented herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of Fidelity Management & Research.
Of Tournaments and Temptations: An Analysis of Managerial Incentives in the Mutual Fund Industry
Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
1996 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 85–110, March 1996
How to Cite
BROWN, K. C., HARLOW, W. V. and STARKS, L. T. (1996), Of Tournaments and Temptations: An Analysis of Managerial Incentives in the Mutual Fund Industry. The Journal of Finance, 51: 85–110. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1996.tb05203.x
- Issue published online: 30 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!