Economic Analysis Corporation, Los Angeles. This article is based on my dissertation at Arizona State University. I thank DeWitt Bowman (Chief Investments Officer), Kayla Gillan (Assistant General Counsel), Jose Arau (Director of Corporate Relations) and Hilda Applbaum (Director of Research) of CalPERS for providing valuable data and information. I also thank Hank Bessembinder, Jim Booth, Jay Coughenour, Dan Deli, Stu Gillan, Mike Joehnk, Herb Kaufman, Frank Kerins, Ken Lehn, Paul Seguin, Janet Smith, Susan Woodward, René Stulz, the editor, and two referees for helpful comments. I especially thank my dissertation chair, Rick Smith, for invaluable guidance and suggestions. Financial support was provided by the Arizona State Unversity Regents Dissertation Scholarship.
Shareholder Activism by Institutional Investors: Evidence from CalPERS
Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
1996 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 227–252, March 1996
How to Cite
SMITH, M. P. (1996), Shareholder Activism by Institutional Investors: Evidence from CalPERS. The Journal of Finance, 51: 227–252. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1996.tb05208.x
- Issue published online: 30 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!