Géczy and Schrand are from the University of Pennsylvania and Minton is from Ohio State University. This article is based on an earlier working paper entitled “Why Firms Use Derivatives: Distinguishing Among Existing Theories.” We thank Gordon Bodnar, Alon Brav, Michael Brennan, Steve Kaplan, Tim Opler, Mitch Petersen, Raghu Rajan, David Scharfstein, René Stulz, Sheridan Titman, participants at the NBER Conference on Financial Risk Assessment and Management, the 1995 Western Finance Association meetings, the UCLA Conference on Corporate Risk Management, the Wharton Corporate Finance Brown Bag Seminar, and two anonymous referees for helpful comments. This work was completed while Géczy was at the University of Chicago and visiting at Ohio State University. Géczy and Minton thank the Dice Center for Financial Economics for financial support. Géczy also thanks the Center for Research in Security Prices for financial support.
Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives
Article first published online: 18 APR 2012
1997 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 52, Issue 4, pages 1323–1354, September 1997
How to Cite
GÉCZY, C., MINTON, B. A. and SCHRAND, C. (1997), Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives. The Journal of Finance, 52: 1323–1354. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1997.tb01112.x
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 18 APR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!