The authors are grateful for helpful comments and suggestions by Sugato Bhattacharyya, Serdar Dinç, Mara Faccio, Daniel Ferreira, Michael Fuerst, Kathleen Fuller, Rick Green, Charles Hadlock, Simon Johnson, Elaine Kim, Woochan Kim, Rafael La Porta, Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, Vojislav Maksimovic, John McConnell, Todd Mitton, M. P. Narayanan, Andrei Shleifer, David Smith, Andrey Ukhov, Michael Weisbach, Daniel Wolfenzon, Bernard Yeung, and especially the referee of the Journal. We also thank the participants of the 2003 American Finance Association Annual Meetings, POSCO Fellowship Seminar at the East-West Center, 8th Mitsui Life Symposium on Global financial Markets, Conference on International Corporate Governance at the Tuck School of Business, 2nd Asian Corporate Governance Conference in Seoul, Estes Park Conference, 2002 Northern Finance Association Annual Meetings, the University of Michigan International Finance, Finance, and Law and Economics workshops, KAIST, University of Georgia, George Washington University, Hitotsubashi University, University of Miami, University of Notre Dame, Ohio State University, University of Toronto Finance and Law, and University of British Columbia Law workshops, where earlier versions of the paper were presented under different titles. We would also like to thank Nick Bradley, Ian Byrne, George Dallas, and Laurie Kizik for providing us with S&P Transparency Rankings and CLSA Corporate Governance Scores, Mara Faccio and Larry Lang for their generosity in sharing their ownership data, and Joyce Buchanan and Vlad Charniauski for excellent research assistance. This research was partly funded by Mitsui Life Financial Research Center at the University of Michigan Business School. Art Durnev also thanks the faculty of Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto for their hospitality during Fall 2004.
To Steal or Not to Steal: Firm Attributes, Legal Environment, and Valuation
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2005
The Journal of Finance
Volume 60, Issue 3, pages 1461–1493, June 2005
How to Cite
DURNEV, A. and KIM, E. H. (2005), To Steal or Not to Steal: Firm Attributes, Legal Environment, and Valuation. The Journal of Finance, 60: 1461–1493. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2005.00767.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2005
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions and you will be able to log in to access content. Some users may also log in directly via OpenAthens.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!