*Karceski is at the University of Florida, Ongena is at Tilburg University and CEPR, and Smith is at the University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce. We are especially grateful for the comments of an anonymous referee. We also thank Hans Degryse, Abe de Jong, Mark Flannery, Aloke Ghosh, Rick Green (editor), Robert Hauswald, Uli Hege, Dale Henderson, Hamid Mehran, Werner Neus, Michael Ryngaert, Joao Santos, Matti Suominen, Rudi Vander Vennet, Marc Zenner, and workshop participants at the BI/Norges Bank Conference on Corporate Governance at Banks (Oslo), CEPR/BBVA Conference on Universal Banking (Madrid), IESE Conference on European M&As (Barcelona), SUERF Conference (Brussels), FMA Meetings (Toronto), CEPR Summer Conference, EARIE Conference (Lausanne), EUNIP Conference (Tilburg), German Finance Association (Konstanz) Meetings, American University, the Federal Reserve Board, the Federal Reserve Banks of Dallas and New York, the Norwegian School of Management, Stockholm Institute for Financial Research, Washington University-St. Louis, and Tilburg University for providing helpful comments. Bernt Arne Ødergaard provided assistance with the Norwegian stock price data, while Morten Josefsen and Ellen Jacobsen collected information on some of the original merger announcements. Ongena received partial support for this research from the Fund for Economic Research at Norges Bank and the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO). Any errors are our own.
The Impact of Bank Consolidation on Commercial Borrower Welfare
Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2005
© 2005 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 60, Issue 4, pages 2043–2082, August 2005
How to Cite
KARCESKI, J., ONGENA, S. and SMITH, D. C. (2005), The Impact of Bank Consolidation on Commercial Borrower Welfare. The Journal of Finance, 60: 2043–2082. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2005.00787.x
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2005
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!