A Theory of Friendly Boards
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2007
The Journal of Finance
Volume 62, Issue 1, pages 217–250, February 2007
How to Cite
ADAMS, R. B. and FERREIRA, D. (2007), A Theory of Friendly Boards. The Journal of Finance, 62: 217–250. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2007.01206.x
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2007
- 2003, Entrenchment and severance pay in optimal governance structures, Journal of Finance 58, 519–547. , and ,
- 2002, Multiple referrals and multidimensional cheap talk, Econometrica 70, 1379–1401. ,
- 2003, Enjoying the quiet life? Corporate governance and managerial preferences, Journal of Political Economy 111, 1043–1075. , and ,
- 2005, The governance role of corporate insiders, Working paper, University of Alabama and Temple University . , and ,
- 2002, Corporate Governance and Enterprise Reform in China (The World Bank and the International Finance Corporation, Washington , DC ). , , and ,
- 1997, Large shareholders, monitoring, and the value of the firm, Quarterly Journal of Economics 112, 693–728. , , and ,
- 1997, Governance in Germany, in Kevin Keasey, Steve Thompson, and Mike Wright, eds. Corporate Governance (Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK). , and ,
- Committee on Corporate Laws, 1994, Corporate Directors Guidebook (American Bar Association).
- Corporate Board Member, 2002, Battling the boss, feature story, what directors think, November/December, http://www.boardmember.com/issues/2002-6.
- 1982, Strategic information transmission, Econometrica 50, 1431–1451. , and ,
- 2005, Does the market value financial expertise on audit committees of boards of directors? Journal of Accounting Research 43, 153–194. , , and ,
- 2004, Private benefits of control: An international comparison, Journal of Finance 59, 537–600. , and ,
- The Economist, 2001, The role of non-executive directors, February, 10.
- 1996, Cheap talk, Journal of Economic Perspectives 10, 103–118. , and ,
- 2004, Capital, labor, and the firm: A study of German codetermination, Journal of the European Economic Association 2, 863–905. , and ,
- 1998, Endogenously chosen boards of directors and their monitoring of the CEO, American Economic Review 88, 96–118. , and ,
- 2003, Boards of directors as an endogenously-determined institution: A survey of the economic literature, Economic Policy Review 9, 7–26. , and ,
- Institute of Directors in Southern Africa, 1994, King report on corporate governance, Technical report.
- Korn/Ferry International, 1998, European boards of directors study.
- 2001, A model of expertise, Quarterly Journal of Economics 116, 747–775. , and ,
- 1989, Pawns or Potentates (Harvard Business School Press, Boston , Massachusetts ). , and ,
- 1981, Good news and bad news: Representation theorems and applications, Bell Journal of Economics 12, 380–391. ,
- 1996, Watching the Watchers (Blackwell Publishers, Cambridge, MA). , and ,
- 2004, Behavioral finance in corporate governance: Independent directors and non-executive chairs, Harvard Institute of Economic Research Discussion Paper n. 2037. ,
- 1994, Political dynamics and the circulation of power: CEO succession in U.S. industrial corporations, 1960–1990, Administrative Science Quarterly 39, 285–312. ,
- OECD, 2001, Corporate Governance in Asia: A Comparative Perspective (OECD Publications, Paris, France).
- 2003, Splitting the board by stealth, The Financial Times, January 14. ,
- 1993, The organization of decentralized information processing, Econometrica 61, 1109–1146. ,
- 2005, Determinants of board size and composition: A theory of corporate boards, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 40, 307–329. ,
- 1999, CEO involvement in the selection of new board members: An empirical analysis, Journal of Finance 54, 1829–1853. , and ,
- 2006, Information control, career concerns, and corporate governance, Journal of Finance (61, 1845–1896. , and ,
- U.S. House, Committee on Governmental Affairs, Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, 2002, The role of the board of directors in Enron's collapse, 107th Cong., 2d sess., Committee Print.
- 2003, The decentralization of information processing in the presence of interactions, Review of Economic Studies 70, 667–695. Direct Link:,
- 1998, Board effectiveness and board dissent: A model of the board's relationship to management and shareholders, Journal of Corporate Finance 4, 53–70. ,
- World Bank and International Monetary Fund, 20012002, Report on the observance of standards and codes, Technical report.