Gillan is at the Rawls College of Business Administration, Texas Tech University, and Hartzell and Parrino are at the McCombs School of Business, University of Texas at Austin. We would like to thank Nell Minow and Ric Marshall of The Corporate Library and Kevin Murphy from the University of Southern California for graciously providing data for this study. We also thank the editors, Robert Stambaugh, Campbell Harvey, and John Graham; an anonymous referee; Andres Almazan; Jeff Coles; David Yermack; and seminar participants at the 2006 American Finance Association annual meeting, American University, Arizona State University, Babson College, University of Cincinnati, Louisiana State University, Ohio State University, Oklahoma State University, Penn State University, University of South Florida, Southern Methodist University, Texas Tech University, University of Oklahoma, University of Tennessee, University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas at Dallas, and University of Texas at San Antonio for helpful suggestions. We are grateful to Ajit Balasubramanian, Darryl Bert, Shirley Birman, Laura Gillan, Jie Lian, Murari Mani, Saumya Mohan, Chris Parsons, and Haiying Zhou for providing excellent research assistance.
Explicit versus Implicit Contracts: Evidence from CEO Employment Agreements
Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2009
© 2009 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 64, Issue 4, pages 1629–1655, August 2009
How to Cite
GILLAN, S. L., HARTZELL, J. C. and PARRINO, R. (2009), Explicit versus Implicit Contracts: Evidence from CEO Employment Agreements. The Journal of Finance, 64: 1629–1655. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2009.01475.x
- Issue online: 16 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!