All authors can be reached at the LeBow College of Business, Drexel University, Philadelphia. The authors appreciate comments from David Becher, Jennifer Bethel, Kenneth Borokhovich, Ann Bradenton, Naveen Daniel, Diane Del Guercio, Ming Dong, Daniel Dorn, Eliezer Fich, Stuart Gillan, Kathleen Kahle, Felix Meschke, Frederik Schlingemann, Anil Shivdasani, Randall Thomas, David Yermack, and seminar participants at Drexel University and the 2007 Western Finance Association meetings. We thank Brian Bushee for sharing his classification system for type of institutional ownership. We thank Cornerstone Research and Stanford Law School for providing us with data on litigation. This paper expresses the views of the authors and does not represent in any way the views of Cornerstone Research or Stanford Law School. We also appreciate research assistance from Ezgi Hallioglu, Billy Hsu, Esra Karahan, Anastasios Kritikos, Adi Mordel, David Pedersen, Anh Tran, Tamika Washington, and Dazhi Zheng. We thank the LeBow College of Business Center for Corporate Governance for financial support.
Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2009
© 2009 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 64, Issue 5, pages 2389–2421, October 2009
How to Cite
CAI, J., GARNER, J. L. and WALKLING, R. A. (2009), Electing Directors. The Journal of Finance, 64: 2389–2421. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2009.01504.x
- Issue online: 28 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!