Murray Carlson is from the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia; Ali Lazrak is from the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia and HEC Paris. We thank seminar participants at Carnegie Mellon University, Connor, Clark, and Lunn Investment Management Ltd., HEC Lausanne, HEC Paris, Northwestern University, the Stockholm School of Economics, the University of British Columbia, the University of Calgary, the University of Colorado at Boulder, the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, the 2005 Northern Finance Association Meetings, the 2006 Society for Economic Dynamics, the 2007 American Finance Association Meetings, the 2008 French Finance Association Meetings, the 2009 European Financial Association Meetings, as well as two anonymous referees, the Associate Editor, Ulf Axelson, Harjoat Bhamra, Ivar Ekeland, Adlai Fisher, Thierry Foucault, Lorenzo Garlappi, Ron Giammarino, Robert Goldstein, Rick Green, Cam Harvey (the Editor), Ulrich Hege, Rob Heinkel, Tim Johnson, Marcin Kacperczyk, Erwan Morellec, Hernan Ortiz-Molina, Michael Roberts, Jean-Charles Rochet, Dion Roseman, Neal Stoughton, Ilya Strebulaev (AFA discussant), Per Strömberg, Suresh Sundaresan, Michael Troege (FFA discussant), Fernando Zapatero, Josef Zechner (EFA discussant), Jaime Zender, and Song Zhongzhi for helpful comments. We are grateful to Markit Group Limited for providing us with credit default swap rate data and to Maryam Rastegar and Sandy Tanaka for their administrative help in acquiring these data. Financial support from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (grant #410-2006-1345) is gratefully acknowledged. An Internet Appendix for this article is available online in the “Supplements and Datasets” section, containing supplementary results and supporting material, at http://www.afajof.org/supplements.asp.
Leverage Choice and Credit Spreads when Managers Risk Shift
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2010
© 2010 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 65, Issue 6, pages 2323–2362, December 2010
How to Cite
CARLSON, M. and LAZRAK, A. (2010), Leverage Choice and Credit Spreads when Managers Risk Shift. The Journal of Finance, 65: 2323–2362. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2010.01617.x
- Issue online: 9 NOV 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!