Fahlenbrach is Associate Professor at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), and is affiliated with the Swiss Finance Institute; Prilmeier is Assistant Professor at Tulane University; and Stulz is the Everett D. Reese Chair of Banking and Monetary Economics, Fisher College of Business, Ohio State University, and is affiliated with NBER and ECGI. We thank two anonymous referees, an Associate Editor, Viral Acharya, Andrea Beltratti, Amit Goyal, Cam Harvey (the Editor), Florian Heider, Olivier De Jonghe, Jun-Koo Kang, Christian Laux, Claudio Loderer, Roger Loh, Angie Low, Ulrike Malmendier, Ron Masulis, Erwan Morellec, Markus Noeth, Lasse Pedersen, Jeremy Stein, Neal Stoughton, Greg Udell, Rossen Valkanov, Mitch Warachka, Josef Zechner, and seminar and conference participants at Bocconi, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, European Central Bank, European Financial Association Annual Meeting in Stockholm, 11th Annual FDIC/JFSR Bank Research Conference on Risk Management: Lessons from the Crisis, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management, Nanyang Technological University, the Ohio State University, Singapore Management University, Universität Bern, Universität Hamburg, University of New South Wales, University of Queensland, University of Sydney, University of Technology, Sydney, and Wirtschafts-universität Wien for helpful comments and suggestions. Fahlenbrach gratefully acknowledges financial support from the Swiss Finance Institute and the Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research on “Financial Valuation and Risk Management.” Part of this research was carried out while Fahlenbrach was a visiting researcher at the University of New South Wales.
This Time Is the Same: Using Bank Performance in 1998 to Explain Bank Performance during the Recent Financial Crisis
Article first published online: 19 NOV 2012
© 2012 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 67, Issue 6, pages 2139–2185, December 2012
How to Cite
FAHLENBRACH, R., PRILMEIER, R. and STULZ, R. M. (2012), This Time Is the Same: Using Bank Performance in 1998 to Explain Bank Performance during the Recent Financial Crisis. The Journal of Finance, 67: 2139–2185. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2012.01783.x
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 19 NOV 2012
- Initial submission: June 14, 2011; Final version received: June 28, 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!