Atanasov is with the College of William and Mary, Ivanov is with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and Litvak is from Northwestern University. We would like to thank the Kaufmann Foundation and the Center for Research in Entrepreneurial Activity at the University of Kansas for their generous financial support for this project, Jack O’Reilly for providing back issues of the Venture Capital Litigation Reporter, an anonymous referee and Associate Editor for very detailed and constructive feedback that greatly improved the paper, and Ola Bengtsson, Carsten Bienz, Bernard Black, Hugh Colaco, Douglas Cumming, Jorge Farinha, Eliezer Fich, Zsuzsanna Fluck, Vladimir Gatchev, Thomas Hellmann, Yael Hochberg, Cliff Holderness, Guido Imbens, Josh Lerner, Craig Lewis, Mike Long, Ron Masulis, Ramana Nanda, Øyvind Norli, Eric Nowak, Charlotte Ostergaard, Diana Pop, Scott Stern, David Stolin, Masako Ueda, Christopher Vizas, Rosemarie Ziedonis, and participants at the 2007 NBER Entrepreneurship Conference, Annual Meetings of the Canadian Law and Economics Association, Batten Young Scholar Conference, Northwestern University Symposium on Economics and Law of the Entrepreneur, Washington Area Finance Conference, FMA and FMA-European meetings, Stanford-Yale junior faculty forum, CCGR Conference on the Corporate Finance and Governance of Privately-Held Firms, Second Canadian Conference on the Economics of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, American Law and Economics meetings, Second ESSEC Private Equity Conference, 2011 Summer Research Conference in Finance (Hyderabad, India), and seminars at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Toulouse Business School, Villanova University, and the University of Kansas for helpful comments and suggestions. The Securities and Exchange Commission, as a matter of policy, disclaims responsibility for any private publication or statement of any of its employees. The views expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Commission or of the author's colleagues upon the staff of the Commission.
Does Reputation Limit Opportunistic Behavior in the VC Industry? Evidence from Litigation against VCs
Article first published online: 19 NOV 2012
© 2012 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 67, Issue 6, pages 2215–2246, December 2012
How to Cite
ATANASOV, V., IVANOV, V. and LITVAK, K. (2012), Does Reputation Limit Opportunistic Behavior in the VC Industry? Evidence from Litigation against VCs. The Journal of Finance, 67: 2215–2246. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2012.01785.x
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 19 NOV 2012
- Initial submission: October 13, 2008; Final version received: June 27, 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
If your institution is a registered Wiley Online Library customer, you can log in under your institution's name to see our content. This access is provided by Shibboleth or Athens.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!