Conrad is with the Department of Finance, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Dittmar is with Department of Finance, Stephen Ross School of Business, University of Michigan; Ghysels is with the Department of Finance, Kenan-Flagler Business School, and Department of Economics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. An earlier version of the paper was circulated under the title “Skewness and the Bubble.” All errors are the responsibility of the authors. We especially thank Cam Harvey for many insightful comments. We also thank Robert Battalio, Patrick Dennis, and Stewart Mayhew for providing data and computational code. We thank Rui Albuquerque, Andrew Ang, Leonce Bargeron, John Griffin, Paul Pfleiderer, Lukasz Pomorski, Feng Wu, and Chu Zhang for helpful comments and suggestions, as well as seminar participants at Babson College, Berkeley, Boston College, the 2009 China International Conference in Finance, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Erasmus University, Financial Intermediation Research Society 2009 Conference, National University of Singapore, New York University Stern, the Ohio State University, Queen's University Belfast, Stanford University, the Universities of Amsterdam, Arizona, Michigan, Tilburg, Texas, and Virginia, and the 2010 European and Western Finance Association conferences. The paper was awarded the 2009 China International Conference in Finance Best Paper Award.
Ex Ante Skewness and Expected Stock Returns
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2013
© 2013 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 68, Issue 1, pages 85–124, February 2013
How to Cite
CONRAD, J., DITTMAR, R. F. and GHYSELS, E. (2013), Ex Ante Skewness and Expected Stock Returns. The Journal of Finance, 68: 85–124. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2012.01795.x
- Issue online: 11 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 DEC 2012 12:00AM EST
- Initial submission: December 11, 2009; Final version received: September 17, 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!