Forest as hazard, forest as victim: Community perspectives and disaster mitigation in the aftermath of Kelowna's 2003 wildfires
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
© Canadian Association of Geographers / L'Association canadienne des géographes
The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe canadien
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 56–71, Spring / printemps 2013
How to Cite
Goemans, M. and Ballamingie, P. (2013), Forest as hazard, forest as victim: Community perspectives and disaster mitigation in the aftermath of Kelowna's 2003 wildfires. The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe canadien, 57: 56–71. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-0064.2012.00447.x
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
- 2005. Work hard, play hard: Selling Kelowna, BC, as year-round playground. The Canadian Geographer 49(2): 123–139. , , and .
- 2002. Flames in our forest: Disaster or renewal? Washington , DC : Island Press. , and .
- B. A. Blackwell & Associates Ltd. 2006. Review of policies, procedures and bylaws relating to wildland fire: Options for wildland urban interface management policy change in the City of Kelowna, British Columbia . North Vancouver : B. A. Blackwell & Associates Ltd. http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDFs/Strategic%20Planning/Review%20of%20Policies%20Procedures%20and%20Bylaws%20Relating%20to%20Wildland%20Fire.pdf.
- B. A. Blackwell & Associates Ltd. 2007. Urban forest health strategy: Strategies for forest health management in the RDCO [Regional District of Central Okanagan] Parks System. North Vancouver : B. A. Blackwell & Associates Ltd. http://www.regionaldistrict.com/docs/parks/foresthealthstrategy.pdf.
- BC Parks. 2012. Summary of park and protected area designations. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/aboutBCParks/prk_desig.html.
- BCMFR (British Columbia Ministry of Forests and Range), Wildfire Management Branch. 2004. Ministry of Forests Report to the 2003 Firestorm Provincial Review . Victoria , BC : BCMFR, Wildfire Management Branch. http://bcwildfire.ca/history/ReportsandReviews/2003/Protection_Submission_to_Filmon.pdf.
- BCMFR (British Columbia Ministry of Forests and Range), Wildfire Management Branch. 2008. Very large fires. http://bcwildfire.ca/History/LargeFires.htm.
- BCMFR (British Columbia Ministry of Forests and Range), Wildfire Management Branch. 2011. Fire rank. http://bcwildfire.ca/FightingWildfire/firerank.htm.
- 1987. Land degradation and society . London , UK : Methuen & Co. Ltd. , and .
- Fire Chief, City of Kelowna. 2008. Telephone communication with author, December 12. ,
- 2002. The intemperate rainforest: Nature, culture, and power on Canada's west coast . Minneapolis , MN : University of Minnesota Press.
- 2004. Forest restoration and fire: Principles in the context of place. Conservation Biology 18(4): 903–912. , , and .
- 2005. Natural hazards . Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press.
- 1998. Natural hazards and land use: An introduction. In Cooperating with nature: Confronting natural hazards with land-use planning for sustainable communities , ed. R. J. Burby. Washington , DC : Joseph Henry Press, 1–26.
- 1993. The environment as hazard . 2nd ed. New York , NY : The Guilford Press. , , and .
- Canadian Urban Forest Network. 2010. Canadian Urban Forest Strategy: 2010-2015 (October 2010 Draft) . http://www.tcf-fca.ca/programs/urbanforestry/cufn/resources/pages/files/OctoberFinal.pdf.
- 2003. Seeing the forest for the trees. Nelson Daily News , September 30, 4.
- 2001. Socializing nature: Theory, practice, and politics. In Social nature: Theory, practice, and politics , ed. N. Castree and B. Braun. Malden , MA : Blackwell, 1–21.
- 2005. Nature. London , UK : Routledge. .
- 1998. The construction of nature and the nature of construction: Analytical and political tools for building survivable futures. In Remaking reality: Nature at the Millennium , ed. N. Castree and B. Braun. London , UK : Routledge, 3–42. , and .
- 1996. Coping with floods: Lessons from the 1990s. In Disaster management in the U.S. and Canada , ed. R. T. Sylves and W. L. Waugh, Jr. Springfield , IL : Charles C. Thomas Publisher, 191–211.
- City of Kelowna. 2008. Kelowna Population Statistics . Kelowna : Planning and Development Services Department. http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDFs/Strategic%20Planning/2006%20Census%20Summary.pdf.
- City of Kelowna. 2009. Population/demographic statistics. http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page130.aspx.
- CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation). 1999. Housing market outlook: Kelowna, Spring 1999 . Vancouver , BC : CMHC, BC and Yukon Business Centre.
- CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation). 2000. Housing market outlook: Kelowna, Spring 2000 . Vancouver , BC : CMHC, BC and Yukon Business Centre.
- CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation). 2001. Housing market outlook: Kelowna, Spring 2001 . Vancouver , BC : CMHC, BC and Yukon Business Centre.
- CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation). 2002. Housing market outlook: Kelowna, Spring 2002 . Vancouver , BC : CMHC, BC and Yukon Business Centre.
- CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation). 2003. Housing market outlook: Kelowna, Spring 2003 . Vancouver , BC : CMHC, BC and Yukon Business Centre.
- 2005. Households, forests, and fire hazard vulnerability in the American West: A case study of a California community. Environmental Hazards 6: 23–37.
- 2008. The political ecology of hazard vulnerability: Marginalization, facilitation and the production of differential risk to urban wildfires in Arizona's White Mountains. Journal of Political Ecology 15: 21–38. .
- 1990. Fire hazards at the urban-wildland interface: What the public expects. Environmental Management 14(1): 57–62. , , and .
- 1997. Analysing qualitative materials. In Methods in human geography: A guide for students doing a research project , ed. R. Flowerdew and D. Martin. London , UK : Longman, 183–196.
- 1996. Introduction: In search of nature. In Uncommon ground: Rethinking the human place in nature , ed. W. Cronon. New York , NY : W. W. Norton and Co., 23–66.
- 2003. Assessing public tradeoffs between fire hazard and scenic beauty in the wildland-urban interface. In Homeowners, communities, and wildfire: Science findings from the National Fire Plan . Proceedings from the Ninth International Symposium on Society and Resource Management. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report NC-231, comp. P. Jakes. St. Paul , MN : US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station, 36–44. , , and .
- 1999. Ecology of fear: Los Angeles and the imagination of disaster . New York : Vintage Books.
- 2004. Beyond smoke and mirrors: A synthesis of fire policy and science. Conservation Biology 18(4): 976–986. , , , and .
- 1998. Science, social constructivism and nature. In Remaking reality: Nature at the Millennium , ed. B. Braun and N. Castree. London , UK : Routledge, 173–193.
- 2004. Civic environmentalism: The Don River in Toronto. In Nature and the city: Making environmental policy in Toronto and Los Angeles , ed. G. Desfor and R. Keil. Tucson , AR : The University of Arizona Press, 76–110. , and .
- 2004. Wildfire policy and public lands: Integrating scientific understanding with social concerns across landscapes. Conservation Biology 18(4): 883–889. , , and .
- 2002. Natural disaster, mitigation and sustainability: The case of developing countries. International Planning Studies 7(2): 157–175. , and .
- 1996. Construction nature: Elements for a post-structuralist political ecology. Futures 28(4): 325–343.
- 2005. Mitigating natural disasters: The role of eco-ethics. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 10: 467–490. , and .
- 2004a. Firestorm 2003: Provincial Review . http://bcwildfire.ca/History/ReportsandReviews/2003/Fire-stormReport.pdf.
- 2004b. Public Meetings—Kelowna—November 26, 2003. Firestorm 2003 Provincial Review . http://www.2003firestorm.gov.bc.ca/Kelowna112603A.pdf (accessed April 2, 2008; site now discontinued). .
- 2002. Resilience and sustainable community design: The cases of Pukapuka, Iowa, and La Bahia de Jiquilisco. Paper presented at the Improving Post-disaster Reconstruction in Developing Countries Conference, May 23–25, in Montreal, Quebec . http://www.grif.umontreal.ca/pages/i-rec%20papers/robert.pdf.
- 2008. The real wilderness idea. In The wilderness debate rages on: Continuing the great new wilderness debate , ed. M. P. Nelson and J. B. Callicott. Athens , GA : University of Georgia Press, 378–397.
- 2004. Stories from the firestorm . Toronto , ON : McClelland & Stewart. , and .
- 2006. Doing discourse analysis: Coalitions, practices, meaning. In Words matter in policy and planning: Discourse theory and method in the social sciences , ed. M. van den Brink and T. Metze. Utrecht : Koninklijk Nederlands Aardrijkskundig Genootschap, 65–74.
- 2003. Blaze guts neighbourhood. Daily Press , August 27, 14.
- 1996. Justice, nature and the geography of difference . Cambridge , MA : Blackwell.
- 2000. Constructing nature as constructing science: Expertise, activist science, and public conflict in the Chicago wilderness. In Restoring nature: Perspectives from the social sciences and humanities , ed. P. H. Gobster and R. B. Hull. Washington , DC : Island Press, 119–142.
- 1971. Hazardousness of a place: A regional ecology . Toronto : University of Toronto Press.
- 1980. Review of The environment as hazard by I. Burton, R. W. Kates and G. F. White. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 70(2): 306–311. .
- 1983. The idea of calamity in a technocratic age. In Interpretations of calamity from the viewpoint of human ecology , ed. K. Hewitt. Boston , MA : Allen & Unwin, 3–32. .
- 2007. Local-scale controls of a low-severity fire regime (1750–1950), southern British Columbia, Canada. Ecoscience 14: 40–47. , , and .
- 2005. Forest fires and sustainable forest management in Canada. Horizons (NRCan Policy Research Initiative) 6(4): 18–21.
- 2002. Researching human geography . London , UK : Arnold. , , and .
- 1994. Place identity: Symbols of self in the urban fabric. Landscape & Urban Planning 28: 2–3. , , and .
- 1962. Hazard and choice perception in flood plain management . Dept. of Geography, Research Paper No. 78. Chicago , Il : The University of Chicago.
- 2007. Gilbert F. White, 1911–2006, Great aspirations: Local studies, national comparisons, global challenges. http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/gfw/NAS_lectures/gfwkates.pdf. .
- 2004. Death rides the forest: Perceptions of fire, land use, and ecological restoration of western forests. Conservation Biology 18(4): 878–882.
- 1990. Simulating cumulative fire effects in ponderosa pine/Douglas-fir forests. Ecology 71: 189–203. , , and .
- 2003. Urban political ecology. Urban Geography 24(8): 723–738.
- 1998. Reasserting nature: Constructing urban environments after Fordism. In Remaking reality: Nature at the Millennium , ed. B. Braun and N. Castree. London , UK : Routledge, 100–123. , and .
- 2003. B.C. fires increase pressure on builders. The Globe and Mail , September 1, B3.
- 2003. A strategy for Canada's urban forests. The Forestry Chronicle 79(4): 785–789.
- 2008. Dry forests in the southern interior of British Columbia: Historic disturbances and implications for restoration and management. Forest Ecology and Management 256: 1711–1722. , , , and .
- Parks Services Manager, Regional District of Central Okanagan. 2008. Telephone communication with author, December 16. ,
- 2007. Understanding one's place in the watershed: How earth science can inform perceptions about the future of the New Orleans region. Technology in Society 29: 197–203.
- Area Supervisor, BC Parks. 2008. Telephone communication with author, August 15. ,
- 1998. Animals, ethics and geography. In Animal geographies: Place, politics and identity in the nature-culture borderlands , ed. J. Wolch and J. Emel. London , UK : Verso, 280–298.
- 1988. Use of Prescribed Fire to Reduce Wildfire Potential. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Fire and Watershed Management: October 26–28, 1988, Sacramento, California, General Technical Report GTR-PSW-109, tech. coord. N. H. Berg. Berkeley , CA : USDA Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, 17–22. , , and .
- 2007. Distribution of impacts of natural disasters across income groups: A case study of New Orleans. Ecological Economics 63: 299–306. , , and .
- 2005. Completion of recommended WUI fire mitigation measures within urban households in Edmonton, Canada. Environmental Hazards 6: 147–157.
- 2005. The look of the land: Homeowner landscape management and wildfire preparedness in Minnesota and Florida. Society and Natural Resources 18: 321–336. , , and .
- NRCan (Natural Resources Canada). 2004. Points of view: Forest fires. http://canadaforests.nrcan.gc.ca/articletopic/38?format=print (accessed August 19, 2008; site now discontinued).
- NRCan (Natural Resources Canada). 2005. The Canadian wildland fire strategy: A vision for an innovative and integrated approach to managing the risks . Ottawa , ON : Canadian Council of Forest Ministers. http://www.bookstore.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/publications?id=26218.
- NRCan (Natural Resources Canada). 2007. Managing forest fires: The path to sustainability . http://canadaforests.nrcan.gc.ca/articletopic/33?format=print (accessed January 19, 2008; site now discontinued).
- 2007. Time for action to cut forest fire risk. Prince George Citizen , June 23, 4.
- 2001. Natural disasters? In Social nature: Theory, practice, and politics , ed. N. Castree and B. Braun. Malden . MA : Blackwell, 170–188.
- 2008. Kelowna residents unbeaten by fire. Kelowna Daily Courier , August 16. http://www.dailycourier.ca/stories_local.php?id=128741. (accessed October 7, 2008; site now discontinued)
- 2002. Effect of thinning and prescribed burning on crown fire severity in ponderosa pine forests. International Journal of Wildland Fire 11(1): 1–10. , and .
- 2008. Real versus perceived conflicts between restoration of ponderosa pine forests and conservation of the Mexican spotted owl. Forest Policy and Economics 10: 140–150. , , and .
- 2007. Awful splendor: A fire history of Canada . Vancouver , BC : UBC Press.
- 2008. Objectives and consideration for wildland fuel treatment in forested ecosystems of the interior western United States. Forest Ecology and Management 256: 1997–2006. , , , and .
- 2001. Visual methodologies: An introduction to the interpretation of visual materials . London , UK : Sage.
- 2007. Public acceptance of wildland fire conditions and fuel reduction practices: Challenges for federal forest managers. In People, fire and forests: A synthesis of wildfire social science , ed. T. C. Daniel, M. Carroll, C. Moseley, and C. Raish. Corvallis , OR : Oregon State University Press, 37–54.
- 2002. Reading texts. In Doing cultural geography , ed. P. Shurmer-Smith. London , UK : Sage, 123–138.
- 2006. The Canadian urban system: Growth and transition. In Canadian cities in transition: Local through global perspectives , 3rd ed., ed. T. Bunting and P. Filion. Don Mills , ON : Oxford University Press, 40–64. , and .
- Long Range Planning Manager, City of Ottawa. 2011. Email communication with author, November 17. ,
- 2001. Valuation of nature in conservation and restoration. Restoration Ecology 9(2): 230–238. , , and .
- 1986. Respect for nature: A theory of environmental ethics . Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1997. Natural hazards: Explanation and integration . New York : Guilford Press. , and .
- US Office of the President. 2002. Healthy Forests: an initiative for wildfire prevention and stronger communities . Washington , DC : Office of the President. http://www.fs.fed.us/projects/documents/HealthyForests_Pres_Policy%20A6_v2.pdf.
- Vancouver Sun . 2003. Nature centre to focus on forest fire's aftermath. The Vancouver Sun . December 26, B4.
- 2005. Doing discourse analysis. In Qualitative research methods in human geography , ed. I. Hay. Melbourne , UK : Oxford University Press, 19–29.
- 1983. The poverty of theory. In Interpretations of calamity from the viewpoint of human ecology , ed. K. Hewitt. Boston , MA : Allen & Unwin, 231–262.
- 1943. Fire as an ecological and silvicultural factor in the ponderosa pine region of the Pacific slope. Journal of Forestry 41: 7–15.
- 1945. Human adjustment to floods . Dept. of Geography, Research Paper No. 29. Chicago : The University of Chicago. http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/gfw/images/Human_Adj_Floods.pdf.
- Urban Forestry Supervisor, City of Kelowna. 2008. Telephone communication with author, August 8. ,
- 2000. Homeowner perspectives on fire hazard, responsibility, and management strategies at the wildland-urban interface. Society & Natural Resources 13: 33–49. , and .
- 2004. At risk: Natural hazards, people's vulnerability and disasters . New York : Routledge. , , and .
- 2005. The world conference on disaster viewed through the lens of political ecology: A dozen big questions for Kobe and beyond. Capitalism Nature Socialism 16(2): 89–95. , and .
- 2007. Green urban worlds. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 97(2): 373–384.