Giving new meaning to religious conversion: Churches, redevelopment, and secularization in Toronto
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2012
© Canadian Association of Geographers / L'Association canadienne des géographes
The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe canadien
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 72–89, Spring / printemps 2013
How to Cite
Hackworth, J. and Gullikson, E. (2013), Giving new meaning to religious conversion: Churches, redevelopment, and secularization in Toronto. The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe canadien, 57: 72–89. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-0064.2012.00451.x
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2012
- Anonymous. 2010. Personal communication with author, November 25.
- 2011. Postsecular cities: Space, theory and practice . London , UK : Continuum. , and , eds.,
- 2002. God is dead: Secularization in the West . Oxford : Blackwell.
- 1984. Toronto to 1918 . Toronto : James Lorimer and Company.
- 1995. The growth of the industrial city and inner Toronto's vanished church buildings. Urban History Review 23(2): 3–19.
- 2001. Religious pluralism and religious participation. Annual Review of Sociology 27: 261–281. , and .
- 2011. Neighbourhoods, niches, and networks: The religious ecology of gentrification. City and Community 10(2): 157–181.
- City of Toronto. n.d. Frequently asked questions about heritage properties. http://www.toronto.ca/heritage-preservation/heritage_questions.htm.
- City of Toronto. 2000. Toronto staff report: Preliminary report on application no. 299012 to amend the Official Plan and zoning by-law to convert a portion of the existing Riverdale Presbyterian Church into 32 dwelling units with an indoor parking garage at 662 Pape Avenue (Don River). http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2000/agendas/committees/to/to000907/it063.pdf.
- City of Toronto. 2001a. Toronto staff report: Application to amend the Official Plan and zoning by-law to permit a residential tower with a partially preserved listed heritage building at grade level. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2001/agendas/committees/yk/yk010403/it045.pdf.
- City of Toronto. 2001b. Draft by-laws—Official Plan amendment and rezoning—662 Pape Avenue (Riverdale Development Ltd.) (Toronto-Danforth, Ward 30). http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2001/agendas/council/cc010626/to5rpt/c1004.pdf (accessed December 2011; site now discontinued).
- City of Toronto. 2001c. Final staff report: Application to amend Official Plan and zoning by-law 438–86, 70 High Park Avenue. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2001/agendas/committees/yk/yk011120/it015.pdf.
- City of Toronto. 2006. Toronto Official Plan . Toronto : City Planning Department.
- City of Toronto. 2007a. 21 Swanwick Avenue—Refusal of demolition application and intention to designate, Part IV, Ontario Heritage Act . http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/cc/bgrd/te3.74.1.pdf.
- City of Toronto. 2007b. City of Toronto Bill No. 250: To designate the property at 70 High Park Avenue (Third Church of Christ, Scientist) as being of cultural heritage value or interest. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/cc/bills/bill250.pdf.
- City of Toronto. 2007c. Staff Report: 21 Swanwick Avenue—Official Plan amendment and rezoning applications—Preliminary report. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-7700.pdf.
- City of Toronto. 2008. Staff Report: 21 Swanwick Avenue—Official Plan amendment and rezoning—final report. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-14171.pdf.
- City of Toronto. 2012. City of Toronto draft Zoning By-law. http://www.toronto.ca/zoning/bylaw/ZBL_NewProvision_Index.htm.
- 1948. Church and sect in Canada . Toronto : University of Toronto Press.
- 1965. The secular city: Secularization and urbanization in theological perspective . New York : Macmillan.
- 2006. The God delusion . Boston : Houghton Mifflin.
- 2002. Refurbishing the house of God: Adaptive reuse of religious buildings in Flanders. The Low Countries 10: 70–75.
- 2001. Representations of Islam in the politics of mosque development in Sydney. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie 92(3): 291–308.
- 1988. The built environment in social theory: Towards an architectural geography. Professional Geographer 40: 392–403.
- City of Toronto Planning. 2010. Personal communication with author, November 16. ,
- 2005. Ethnic packaging and gentrification: The case of four neighbourhoods in Toronto. Urban Affairs Review 41(2): 211–236. , and .
- 2012. The collision of faith and economic development in Toronto's inner suburban industrial districts. Urban Affairs Review 48(1): 35–61. , and .
- 2004. From lofts to luxury north of Bloor St. Toronto Star , online edition, April 4.
- 2007. God is not great: How religion poisons everything . New York : Twelve Books.
- 1997. Deregulating religion: The economics of church and state. Economic Inquiry 35: 350–364. , , and .
- 2002. Making space for mosques: Struggles for urban citizenship in diasporic Toronto. In Race, space and the law: Unmapping a white settler society , ed. S. Razack. Toronto: Between the Lines Press, 185–209. , and .
- 1982. The social production of the built environment. Ekistics 49: 291–297.
- 2002. In search of permanent homes: Singapore's house churches and the politics of space. Urban Studies 39(9): 1573–1586.
- 2010. Global shifts, theoretical shifts: Changing geographies of religion. Progress in Human Geography 34(6): 755–776.
- 1979. Axioms for reading the landscape. In The interpretation of ordinary landscapes , ed. D. W. Meinig. New York : Oxford University Press, 11–32.
- 1996. The new middle class and the remaking of the central city . Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 1993. Gentrification as secularization: The status of religious belief in the post-industrial city. Social Compass 40(2): 217–232. , and .
- 2004. For builders who like challenges. Toronto Star , online edition, September 11.
- 1983. An ecology of affiliation. American Sociological Review 48: 519–532.
- 2008. Prophets-for-profits: Redevelopment and the altering urban religious landscape. Urban Studies 45(10): 2143–2161.
- City of Toronto Preservation Officer. 2010. Personal communication with author, December 1. ,
- Mitchell and Associates. n.d. The Glebe Lofts: Features and finishes. http://mitchell-lofts.com/pages/RiverFeatures.htm.
- 1995. There's no such thing as culture: Towards a reconceptualisation of the idea of culture in geography. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 19: 102–116.
- 2010. Exploring the postsecular: The religious, the political, the urban . Leiden , NL : Brill. , , and , eds.,
- 2004. Sacred and secular: Politics and religion worldwide . Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , and .
- Ontario Ministry of Culture. 2006. Designating heritage properties: A guide to municipal designation of individual properties under the Ontario Heritage Act . Toronto : Queen's Printer for Ontario. http://www.mtc.gov.on.ca/en/publications/DHP_Eng.pdf.
- Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. 2005. Provincial Policy Statement, 2005 . http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1485.aspx.
- Province of Ontario. 1990a. Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.o.18.
- Province of Ontario. 1990b. Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. p. 13. Consolidated from September 24, 2009 to December 14, 2009.
- 2005. High Park highrise built atop 1928 church. Toronto Star , online edition, June 11.
- 1995. The social ecology of religion . Oxford : Oxford University Press. , and .
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto Source. 2011. Personal communication with the author, February 16.
- 2003. Introduction: Rethinking the secularization of American public life. In The secular revolution: Power, interests, and conflict in the secularization of American public life , ed. C. Smith. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1–78.
- 2000. Acts of faith: Explaining the human side of religion . Berkeley : University of California Press. , and .
- 2010. Religious belief across “post-secular” Sydney: The multiple trends in (de) secularisation. Australian Geographer 41(3): 323–350. , , , and .
- 2007. The future of defunct religious buildings: Dutch approaches to their adaptive reuse. Cultural Trends 16(1): 43–66. , and .
- 2006. Religious diversity across the North American urban system. Urban Geography 27(6): 549–566.
- 2009. Televangelical publics: Secularized publicity and privacy in the Trinity Broadcasting Network. Cultural Geographies 16(4): 505–524.
- 2010. Sacred archipelagos: Geographies of secularization. Progress in Human Geography 34(3): 328–348.
- 2007. The Church Lofts. The Globe and Mail , online edition, April 13.