Development of Food Safety Psychosocial Questionnaires for Young Adults
Article first published online: 26 MAR 2007
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 30–37, April 2007
How to Cite
Byrd-Bredbenner, C., Wheatley, V., Schaffner, D., Bruhn, C., Blalock, L. and Maurer, J. (2007), Development of Food Safety Psychosocial Questionnaires for Young Adults. Journal of Food Science Education, 6: 30–37. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2007.00021.x
- Issue published online: 26 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 26 MAR 2007
- MS20060484 Submitted 8/29/2006, Accepted 11/16/2006
- 1997. Review of self-efficacy and locus of control for nutrition- and health-related behavior. J Am Diet Assn 97(10):1122–32. , .
- 1991. The theory of planned behavior. Organ Behav Human Decis Processes 50:79–211. .
- 2002. Perceived behavioral control, self-efficacy, locus of control, and the theory of planned behavior. J Appl Soc Psychol 32:665–83. .
- 1980. Understanding attitudes and predicting social behavior. Englewood Cliffs , N.J. : Prentice-Hall. , .
- 2000. Attitudes and the attitude-behavior relation: reasoned and automatic processes. In: StroebeW, HewstoneH, editors. European review of social psychology. Chichester , England : Wiley. p 1–33. , .
- 2005. The influence of attitudes on behavior. In: AlbarracínD, JohnsonB, ZannaM, editors. The handbook of attitudes. Mahwah , N.J. : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers. p 173–221. , .
- 1999. A multi-state survey of consumer food-handling and food-consumption practices. Am J Prev Med 16:216–21. , , , .
- 1997. A stage-of-change classification system based on actions and beliefs regarding dietary fat and fiber. Am J Health Promot 12:192–201. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychol Rev 84:191–215. .
- 1986. Social foundations of thought and action. Englewood Cliffs , N.J. : Prentice Hall. .
- 1991. Self-efficacy mechanism and physiological activation and health promotion behavior. In: MaddenV, editor. Neurobiology of learning, emotion and affect. New York : Raven. p 229–69. .
- 2000. Health promotion from the perspective of social cognitive theory. In: NormanP, AbrahamC, ConnerM, editors. Understanding and changing health behaviour. Amsterdam : Harwood Academic Publishers. p 299–339. .
- 1999. Health locus of control. University of South Florida 1999 . Available from: http://www.med.usf.edu/~kmbrown/Locus_of_Control_Overview.htm . Accessed May 2005. .
- 2005. Health locus of control. Univ. of South Florida 1999 . Available from: http://www.med.usf.edu/~kmbrown/Locus_of_Control_Overview.htm . Accessed May 2005. .
- 2003. Creating health: osteoporosis. University Park , Pa. : The Pennsylvania State Univ., Information and Communication Technologies in the College of Agricultural Sciences. .
- 2000. The ability of college women aged 17 to 25 to perform tasks using nutrition facts labels. Intl Electron J Health Edu 3:97–106. .
- 2004. Food preparation knowledge and attitudes of young adults: implications for nutrition practice. Top Clin Nutr 19:154–63. .
- 1998. Stages of change and psychosocial correlates of fruit and vegetable consumption among rural African-American church members. Am J Health Promot 12(3):185–91. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Predicting health behavior. Search and practice with social cognition models. Philadelphia, Pa. : Open Univ. Press. .
- 1980. The optimal number of response alternatives for a scale: a review. J Mark Res 17:407–22. .
- 2003. Scale development: theory and applications. Applied social research methods series, Vol. 26. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage Publications. .
- 1986. Essentials of educational measurement. Englewood Cliffs , N.J. : Prentice-Hall. , .
- 2000. Development and validation of a scale measuring self-efficacy in current and former smokers. Addict Behav 95(6):901–13. , , , .
- 1995. Foodborne illness: perceptions, experience, and preventive behaviors in the United States. J Food Prot 58:1405–11. , , .
- 2000. A nutrition intervention group program based on the transtheoretical model's pre-action stage oriented change processes promotes long-term dietary intake reduction. J Am Diet Assn 100:335–42. , .
- Food Safety and Inspection Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. 1998. FDA: consumers are changing. Food Saf Educ 3(4):2.
- 1994. Stages of change in adopting healthy diets: fat, fiber, and correlates of nutrient intake. Health Educ Q 21:499–512. , , , , , , .
- GlanzK, RimerBK, LewisFM, editors. 2002. Health behavior and health education: theory, research, and practice. 3rd ed. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass.
- 1994. Stages of change for reducing dietary fat to 30% or less. J Am Diet Assn 94:1105–10. , , , , .
- 1997. Assessment of student achievement. 6th ed. Boston : Allyn & Bacon. .
- 2004. The long-term impact of a four-session work-site intervention on selected social cognitive theory variables linked to adult exercise adherence. Health Educ Behav 31(1):88–100. , .
- 1995. User's manual for the medical outcomes study (MOS) core measures of health-related quality of life. Santa Monica , Calif. : Rand Distribution Services. , , .
- 1997. Fruit-vegetable consumption self-efficacy in youth. Am J Health Behav 21:172–7. , .
- 1997. Stages of change, decisional balance, and self-efficacy across four health behaviors in a worksite environment. Am J Health Promot 12(1):49–56. , , .
- 1998. Educational and psychological measurement evaluation. 8th ed. Boston : Allyn and Bacon. .
- 2002. The health belief model. In: GlanzK, RimerB, LewisF, editors. Health behavior and health education: theory, research, and practice. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass. , , .
- 1995. Prevalence of selected food consumption and preparation behaviors associated with increased risks of food-borne disease. J Food Prot 58:927–30. , , , .
- 1995. Foodborne illness: role of home food handling practices. Scientific status summary. Food Technol 49(4):119–31. .
- 1970. The assignment of numbers to rank order categories. Am Sociol Rev 35:515–24. .
- 1996. A measure of self-care self-efficacy. Res Nurs Health 19(5):421–9. , .
- 1999. Age, self-efficacy, and change in patients' adjustment to cancer. Cancer Pract 84(3):170–6. , , .
- 1999. Measurement and assessment in teaching. 8th ed. New York : Merrill Co. , .
- 2000. Measurement and assessment in teaching. 8th ed. Upper Saddle River , N.J. : Merrill Co. , .
- 1996. Outcome measures for health education and other health care interventions. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage Publications. , , , , , .
- 2000. Self-efficacy determinants and consequences of physical activity. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 28:85–8. , .
- 2004. Design and development of food safety knowledge and attitude scales for consumer food safety education. J Am Diet Assn 104:1671–7. , , , , , .
- 2002. The theory of reasoned action and the theory of planned behavior. In: GlanzK, RimerB, LewisF, editor. Health behavior and health education: theory, research, and practice. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass. , .
- 2001. Internal locus of control and social support associated with some dietary changes by elderly participants in a diet intervention trial. J Am Diet Assn 101:203–8. , , , , .
- 1991. Self-esteem, internal-external locus of control, and their relationship to weight reduction. J Clin Psychol 47(4):568–75. , .
- 2000. Biostatistics: the bare essentials. 2nd ed. Hamilton , Ontario : BC Decker. , .
- 1999. Self-efficacy as an intermediate outcome variable in the transtheoretical model: validation of a measurement model for applications to dietary fat reduction. J Nutr Educ 31:16–22. , , .
- 2004. A community-oriented primary care demonstration project: refining interventions for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Ann Fam Med 2(2):103–9. , .
- 1984. The transtheoretical approach: crossing traditional boundaries of change. Homewood , Ill. : Dorsey Press. , .
- 1997. The Transtheoretical model of health behavior change. Am J Health Promot 12:38–48. , .
- 1994. Changing for good. New York : Quill, Harper Collins Publishers. , , .
- 2002. The Transtheoretical model and stages of change. In: GlanzK, RimerB, LewisF, editors. Health behavior and health education: theory, research, and practice. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass. , , .
- 1996. Age, dietary behaviors and the stages-of-change model. Am J Health Promot 20:417–24. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Older adults with chronic disease: benefits of group-mediated counseling in the promotion of physically active lifestyles. Health Psychol 22(4):414–23. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Health behavior change: a guide for practitioners. Edinburgh : Churchill Livingstone. , , .
- 1988. The development of self-efficacy scales for health-related diet and exercise behaviors. Health Educ Res 3(3):283–92. , , , , .
- 1994. Nutrition locus of control and dietary behaviors of pregnant women. Appl Nurs Res 71:28–31. , , , , .
- 1999. A multidimensional weight-management program for women. J Am Diet Assn 99:1257–64. , , , , .
- 1990. A new measure of weight locus of control: the dieting beliefs scale. J Pers Assess 54(1, 2):191–203. , .
- 2005. Measurement and evaluation in psychology and education. 7th ed. Upper Saddle River , N.J. : Pearson Education. .
- 1971. Power function of the f-test under non-normal conditions. J Am Stat Assn 66:913–5. .
- 2001. Health attitude scale construction: importance of psychometric evidence. Am J Health Behav 25:290–8. , , .
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Food Safety Inspection Service. 2002. Changes in consumer knowledge, behavior, and confidence, Final report 2002. Available from: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/research/research.html . Accessed February 22, 2003.
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. 2000. Nutrition and your health: dietary guidelines for Americans. 5th ed. Washington , D.C. : U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. 2005. Dietary guidelines for Americans. 6th ed. Washington , DC : U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. 2001. Healthy people 2010: volume 1. Available from: http://www.health.gov/healthypeople/Document/tableofcontents.htm . Accessed November 28, 2001.
- 1998. College students' attitudes, practices, and knowledge of food safety. J Food Prot 61:1175–80. , , .
- 1993. Frequently asked questions: multidimensional health locus of control scales. Available from: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/nursing/kwallston/FAQMHLC.htm Accessed May 2003. .
- 1978. Development of the multidimensional health locus of control (MHLC) scales. Health Educ Monogr 6(2):160–9. , .
- 1976. Development and validation of the health locus of control scale. J Consul Clin Psychol 44(4):580–5. , , , .
- 2002. The precaution adoption process model. In: GlanzK, RimerB, LewisF, editors. Health behavior and health education: theory, research, and practice. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass. , .
- 1992. Correlating food safety knowledge with home food preparation practices. Food Technol 46(5):94–100. , , .
- 1998. Multistate surveillance for food-handling preparation, and consumption behaviors associated with foodborne diseases: 1995 and 1996 BRFSS food-safety questions. Morb Mortal Wkly Rev 47(SS-4):33–54. , , , , , , , , , , , .