Classroom Discussions with Student-Led Feedback: a Useful Activity to Enhance Development of Critical Thinking Skills
Article first published online: 15 SEP 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 7, Issue 4, pages 65–68, October 2008
How to Cite
Hayes, K. D. and Devitt, A. A. (2008), Classroom Discussions with Student-Led Feedback: a Useful Activity to Enhance Development of Critical Thinking Skills. Journal of Food Science Education, 7: 65–68. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2008.00054.x
- Issue published online: 15 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 15 SEP 2008
- MS 20070924 Submitted 12/12/2007, Accepted 4/15/2008
- 1999. Helping students develop critical thinking skills. Food Technol 53:44–9. , .
- 2006. Assessment of the Joint Food Science Curriculum of Washington State University and the University of Idaho by graduates and their employers. J Food Sci Educ 5(1):9–14. , , , .
- 2003. Integrating problem-based learning in an introductory college food science course. J Food Sci Educ 2(1):2–6. .
- 1975. The effect of three patterns of small group assignment in promonting critical thinking, open-mindedness, and creativity in community college students. Diss Abstr Int 36(12):7946A. .
- 1996. Teaching and learning critical thinking skills. Int Congr Psychol. ED 405313. , , .
- 2001. IFT revises its education standards. Food Technol 55(10):53–9. .
- 2005. Factors that affect student motivation in a dairy products elective course. J Food Sci Educ 1:15–7. , .
- 2008. Using academic journals to help students learn subject matter content, develop and practice critical reasoning skills, and reflect on personal values in food science and human nutrition classes. J Food Sci Educ 7(2):19–29. , .
- 2006. Relative importance of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) core competencies—a case study survey. J Food Sci Educ 5:35–9. , , .
- 1994. Is differential exposure to college linked to the development of critical thinking? Int Congr Psychol. ERIC document reproduction service number ED 374 729. .
- 2006. The miniature guide to critical thinking: concepts and tools. Dillon Beach, Calif.: Foundation for Critical Thinking. 20 p. , .
- 2002. Sharing our experiences with writing-for-learning techniques in a large introductory course: the popular press critique. J Food Sci Educ 1(2):34–9. , , .
- 1977. College classroom interactions and critical thinking. J Educ Psychol 69:180–90. .
- 1981. Instruction and outcomes in an undergraduate setting. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Assn. Los Angeles, Calif. .
- 1999. Courses and instruction affecting critical thinking. Res Higher Educ 40(2):185–200. .
- 2002. Fostering critical thinking through effective pedagogy: evidence from four institutional case studies. J Higher Educ 73(6):740–63. .
- 2003. Critical thinking as a predictor and outcome measure in a large undergraduate educational psychology course. Office of Educational Research and Improvement. ERIC document reproduction service number ED 478 075. .