Assessment of Food Safety Knowledge of High School and Transition Teachers of Special Needs Students
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 13–19, January 2009
How to Cite
Pivarnik, L. F., Patnoad, M. S., Richard, N. L., Gable, R. K., Hirsch, D. W., Madaus, J., Scarpati, S. and Carbone, E. (2009), Assessment of Food Safety Knowledge of High School and Transition Teachers of Special Needs Students. Journal of Food Science Education, 8: 13–19. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2008.00063.x
- Issue online: 22 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2008
- MS 20080457 Submitted 6/18/2008, Accepted 8/5/2008
- ARC. 2006. The Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA): eligibility, IEP's and placement. Q and A. Available from: http://www.thearc.org/NetCommunity/Document.Doc?&id=146 . Accessed Jun 10, 2008.
- 2007. Development and evaluation pf an on-line, inquiry-based food safety education program for secondary teachers and their students. J Food Sci Educ 6:66–71. , , , .
- 2005. Usage of a web-based food safety course to teach high school teachers. J Culinary Sci Technol 4(1):113–22. , , , .
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC). 2004. Life Centered Career Education Curriculum. Arlington , Va. : Author.
- 2007. High school café provides food, life skills. Available from: email@example.com . Accessed Dec 15, 2007.
- 2008. Café 21: a unique method of teaching students. Available from: http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/news/x727372892 . Accessed Jun 10, 2008.
- IDEA. 2004. Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004, H. Rept. 108–779. Available from: http://idea.ed.gov/explore/view . Accessed Jun 10, 2008.
- IFT Expert Panel. 2004. Bacteria associated with foodborne disease. IFT Scientific Status Summary. Available from: http://members.ift.org/NR/rdonlyres/3DEA7A91-DF48-42CE-B195-06B01C14E273/0/bacteria.pdf . Accessed Jun 10, 2008.
- 1995. How data and analysis can help in program and policy design. In: Tracking foodborne pathogens from farm to table. Conference proceedings. Washington , D.C. : USDA/ERS .
- 1998. USDA/FDA Education Initiative: Evaluating the placement of Food Safety Education in American Schools. Macro International, Inc. Contract Nr 43-3A94-7-1636. USDA/FDA. Available from: http://www.foodsafety.gov/~dms/fseduini.html . Accessed Jun 10, 2008. , .
- 1997. Position of the American Dietetic Association: nutrition in comprehensive program planning for persons with developmental disabilities. J Am Diet Assoc 97(2):189–93. , .
- 2007. Personal communication. Associate Professor, Department of Educational Psychology, Neag School of Education, Univ. of Connecticut . .
- 1999. Food-related illness and death in the United States. Emerg Infect Dis 5(5):607–25. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov.ncidod/eid/vol5no5/mead.htm . Accessed Jun 10, 2008. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Personal communication. Compliance Evaluation and Standardization Officer. Rhode Island Department of Health, Division of Food Protection . .
- Partnership for Food Safety Education. 2006. Available from: http://www.fightbac.org/ or http://www.befoodsafe.gov . Accessed Jun 10, 2008.
- 2006. New England home gardeners' food safety knowledge of fresh fruits and vegetables. Food Prot Trends 26(5):298–309. , , , .
- RI Kids First. 2004. Special needs classrooms—survey results. Unpublished study.
- 1994. How to conduct your own survey. New York : John Wiley and Sons. , .
- 2000. Transition education and services for adolescents with disabilities. Boston , Mass. : Allyn & Bacon. , , .
- SPSS. 2004. Version 14.0. SPSS Inc. Chicago , Ill .: SPSS Inc.
- 1997. Emerging foodborne diseases: an evolving public health issue. Emerg Infect Dis 3(4):425–33. .