Consumer Awareness and Willingness to Pay for High-Pressure Processing of Ready-to-Eat Food
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2009
© 2009 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 8, Issue 2, pages 32–38, April 2009
How to Cite
Hicks, D. T., Pivarnik, L. F., McDermott, R., Richard, N., Hoover, D. G. and Kniel, K. E. (2009), Consumer Awareness and Willingness to Pay for High-Pressure Processing of Ready-to-Eat Food. Journal of Food Science Education, 8: 32–38. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2009.00069.x
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2009
- MS 20080494 Submitted 7/2/2008, Accepted 12/1/2008
- 2007. Effect of educational program on attitudes of California consumers toward food irradiation. Food Prot Trends 27(10):744–8. , , .
- 1995a. Consumer attitudes and market response to irradiated food. Dairy Food Environ Sanitat 15(4):222–8. .
- 1995b. Strategies for communicating the facts on food irradiation to consumers. Dairy Food Environ Sanitat 15(9):554–7. .
- 2007. Enhancing consumer acceptance of new processing technologies. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 8(4):555–8. .
- 2007. Food safety self-reported behaviors and cognitions of young adults: results of a national study. J Food Prot 70(8):1917–26. , , , , , .
- 2002. Recent Growth Patterns in the U.S. Organic Foods Market. USDA ERS Agriculture Information Bulletin No. AIB777. 42 pp, September. Available from: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/AIB777/ . Accessed Feb 12, 2009. , .
- 2005. Preservation of food by high hydrostatic pressure (HPP). Available from: http://www.elmhurstresearch.com/food_technology1.htm . Accessed June 17, 2008. .
- 2000. High-pressure processing. J Food Sci 65(4):47–64. Supplement. , .
- 2000. Consumer acceptance of irradiated meat and poultry products. USDA-ERS Agric Inf Bull nr 757. 8 pp. August. Available from: http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/aib757/aib757.pdf . Accessed Feb 12, 2009. , , , .
- 2002. Use of high-pressure processing for oyster shucking and shelf-life extension. J Food Sci 67:640–5. , , , .
- 2008. Consumer perceptions about seafood—an Internet survey. J Foodserv 19:211–26. , , .
- IFT Expert Report. 2002. Emerging microbiological food safety issues: implications for control in the 21st century:. Institute of Food Technologists, Chicago , Ill . Available from: http://www.ift.org .
- 2004. Consumer attitudes towards irradiated foods: 2003 vs. 1993. Food Prot Trends 24(6):408–18. , , , .
- 2000. Oyster preservation by high-pressure treatment. J Food Protect 63:196–201. , , , .
- 2005. High pressure processing of shellfish: a review of microbiological and other quality aspects. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 6(3):257–70. , , , , .
- NACMCF. 2006. Requisite scientific parameters for establishing the equivalence of alternative methods of preservation. J Food Prot 69(5):1190–216.
- Organic Consumers Association. 2002. 30% of US consumers seek eco-friendly products. Available from: http://www.organicconsumers.org/Organic/ecofriendlyMay02.cfm . Accessed Feb 13, 2009.
- 2005. New England consumers' willingness to pay for fresh fruits and vegetables grown on GAP-certified farms. Food Prot Trends 25(4):256–66. , , , .
- 2006. New England home gardeners' food safety knowledge of fresh fruits and vegetables. Food Prot Trends 26(5):298–309. , , , .
- SPSS. 2004. Version 14.0. Chicago , Ill. : SPSS Inc.
- 2007. The relationship between attitudes, knowledge and demographic variables of high school teachers regarding food irradiation. J Food Sci Educ 6:24–9. , , , .
- 2004. Consumers' perceptions of irradiated ground beef after education and product exposure. Food Prot Trends 24(10):740–5. , .