How Does the Freezer Burn Our Food?
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2009
© 2009 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 8, Issue 2, pages 45–52, April 2009
How to Cite
Schmidt, S. J. and Lee, J. W. (2009), How Does the Freezer Burn Our Food?. Journal of Food Science Education, 8: 45–52. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2009.00072.x
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2009
- MS 20080653 Submitted 8/28/2008, Accepted 12/6/2008
- Anonymous. 1996. Meat technology update, Part 2, April, p 1–3.
- 1973. Effects of freezing and packaging methods on shrinkage of hams in frozen storage. J Food Sci 38:254–7. , .
- 1997. Lipid oxidation: flavor and nutritional quality deterioration in frozen foods. In: EricksonMC, , editors. Quality in frozen foods. New York : Chapman Hall. p 141–73. .
- 1998. Freeze-drying of bioproducts: putting principles into practice. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 45:221–9. .
- 2007. Freeze-drying of pharmaceuticals and biopharmaceuticals: principles and practice. Cambridge , U.K. : The Royal Society of Chemistry. 206 p. .
- 2005. Foods at subzero temperatures. In: DutcherJR, MarangoniAG, editors. Soft materials: structure and dynamics. New York : Marcel Dekker. p 299–320. .
- 2004. Handbook of frozen foods, food science and technology. Vol. 133. London , U.K. : Taylor and Francis, CRC Press. 1293 p. , , , , , .
- [IAPWS] The Int Assn for the Properties of Water and Steam. 2002. Guidelines for the use of fundamental physical constants and basic constants of water. Revision of September 2001 guidelines, Gaitherburg , Mass . Available from: http://www.iapws.org . Accessed Feb 12, 2009.
- 1961 Freezer burn as a limiting factor in the storage of animal tissue I. Experiments with livers frozen without weight loss. Food Technol March: 122–8. .
- 1997. Designing frozen foods. Food Prod Design January: 27–43. Available from: http://www.foodproductdesign.com/articles/465/465_0197CS.html . Accessed Feb 12, 2009. .
- 2005. Freezing: the promising technology for meat preservation. Indian Food Ind 24(3):14–9. , , , .
- 1970. Relation of humidity to economic loss during storage of fishery products. ASHRAE J 12: 73–6. .
- 1997. Moisture migration and ice recrystallization in frozen foods. In: Erickson MC, Hung YC, editors. Quality in frozen foods. New York : Chapman Hall. p 67–91. , .
- 2008. Visual explanations: harnessing the power of the “seeing” brain to enhance student learning. J Food Sci Educ. .
- 2002. Sharing our experiences with writing-for-learning techniques in a large introductory course: the daily microtheme. J Food Sci Educ 1:28–33. , , .
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition Cold Storage Chart 2002. Available from: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~fsg/f01chart.html . Accessed Jul 26, 2008.
- 197576. CRC handbook of chemistry and physics. Cleveland , Ohio : CRC Press. Tables D-179 to 181. .