Food Safety Knowledge and Beliefs of Middle School Children: Implications for Food Safety Educators
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2009
© 2010 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 19–30, January 2010
How to Cite
Byrd-Bredbenner, C., Abbot, J. M. and Quick, V. (2010), Food Safety Knowledge and Beliefs of Middle School Children: Implications for Food Safety Educators. Journal of Food Science Education, 9: 19–30. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2009.00088.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2009
- MS 20090403 Submitted 5/5/2009, Accepted 9/4/2009
- 1999. A multi-state survey of consumer food-handling and food-consumption practices. Am J Preven Med 16:216–21. , , , .
- 1991. HACCP and the home: the need for consumer education. Food Technol 45:123–4. .
- 1971. Content analysis in communications research. New York : Hafner Publishing Co. .
- 1956. Taxonomy of educational objectives, handbook I: the cognitive domain. New York : David McKay Co. Inc. .
- 2007. Food safety self-reported behaviors and cognitions of young adults: results of a national study. J Food Prot 70:1917–26. , , , , , .
- 2008. The health belief model. In: GlanzK, RimerB, ViswanathK, editors. Health behavior and health education. Theory, research, and practice. 4th ed. San Francisco , Calif. : Jossey-Bass. p 45–65. , .
- 2002. Source of food safety information: whom do adolescents trust Appetite 38:199–200. .
- July 23, 2002. School's out, work's in. Northwest Indiana News. .
- 2002. Checking on changes: consumer research. Food Saf Educ 7(1):1–2. .
- 2001. Use of a computerized kiosk in an assessment of food safety knowledge of high school students and science teachers. J Nutr Educ 33:37–42. , , .
- 2008. Health behavior and health education. Theory, research, and practice. San Francisco, Calif. : Jossey-Bass. , , .
- 2007. Planning and studying improvement in patient care: the use of theoretical perspectives. Milbank Q 85:93–138. , , , , .
- 2004. Food safety knowledge, perceptions, and behaviors among middle school students. J Nutr Educ Behav 36:71–6. , .
- 2009. An introduction to qualitative research for food and nutrition professionals. J Am Diet Assoc 109:80–90. , , , , , .
- 1995. Foodborne illness: role of home food handling practices. Scientific status summary. Food Technol 49:119–31. .
- 1998. USDA/FDA education initiative: evaluating the placement of food safety education in American schools. In: Food and drug administration. Washington , D.C. : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture . , .
- 1980. Content analysis: an introduction to its methodology. Beverly Hills , Calif. : Sage Publications. .
- 2006. Food preparation and purchasing roles among adolescents: associations with sociodemographic characteristics and diet quality. J Am Diet Assoc 106:211–8. , , , .
- 2004. Focus group interviews as a data collecting strategy. J Adv Nurs 48:187–94. .
- 1994. Qualitative data analysis. An expanded sourcebook. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage Publications. , .
- 2008. Theory of reasoned action, theory of planned behavior, and the integrated behavioral model. In: GlanzK, RimerB, ViswanathK, editors. Health behavior and health education. Theory, research, and practice. 4th ed. San Francisco , Calif. : Jossey-Bass. p 67–96. , .
- 1999. Factors influencing food choices of adolescents: findings from focus-group discussions with adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 99:929–37. , , , .
- Partnership for Food Safety Education. 1998. Fight Bac! Snapshot of consumer behavior and attitudes.
- 2007. Program evaluation: methods and case studies. Upper Saddle River , N.J. : Pearson Prentice Hall. , .
- 1995. Comparative content analysis of food and nutrition advertisements in ebony, essence, and ladies' home journal. J Nutr Educ 27:11–7. , .
- 1999. Health behavior change: a guide for practitioners. Edinburgh , U.K. : Churchill Livingstone. , , .
- 1995. Sample size in qualitative research. Res Nurs Health 18:179–83. .
- 1985. Socioeconomic indexes and the new 1980 census occupational classification scheme. Soc Sci Res 14:142–68. , .
- [USDA/FDA] U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Food and Drug Administration. 1991. Results of the Food and Drug Administration's 1988 health and diet survey—food handling practices and food safety knowledge for consumers. Washington , D.C. : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration .
- [USDA/FSIS] U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Food Safety Inspection Service. 2002. Changes in consumer knowledge, behavior, and confidence since the 1996 PR/HACCP Final Rule. Available from: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/research/haccpimpacts.pdf. Accessed Feb 22, 2003.
- 1998. College students' attitudes, practices, and knowledge of food safety. J Food Prot 61:1175–80. , , .
- 1992. Correlating food safety knowledge with home food-preparation practices. Food Technol 46:94–100. , , .
- Yankelovich Co. 2001. Nickelodeon/Yankelovich youth MONITOR. Norwalk , Conn. : Yankelovich Co.