Identifying Food Safety Concerns When Communication Barriers Exist
Article first published online: 26 SEP 2011
© 2011 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 10, Issue 4, pages 36–44, October 2011
How to Cite
Neal, J. A., Dawson, M. and Madera, J. M. (2011), Identifying Food Safety Concerns When Communication Barriers Exist. Journal of Food Science Education, 10: 36–44. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2011.00128.x
- Issue published online: 26 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 26 SEP 2011
- MS 20101330 Submitted 11/23/2010, Accepted 6/8/2011.
- 2005. ¡Oye Compadre! The chef needs a dishwasher: yucatecan men in the Dallas restaurant economy. Urban Anthropol 35:2–3. .
- 2004. A camera's view of consumer food-handling behaviors. J Am Diet Assoc 104:186–91. , , , , .
- 1998. The relationship between acculturation and job satisfaction among Chinese immigrants in the New York city restaurant business. Hospitality Manag 17:11–21. , , , .
- 2003. Occupational health of southeast Asian immigrants in a US city: a comparison of data sources. Am J Public Health 23:593–8. , , .
- 1977. Social learning theory, Englewood Cliffs , N.J. : Prentice Hall. .
- 1997. Perspective taking: imagining how another feels versus imagining how you would feel. Pers Soc Psychol B 23:751–8. , , .
- 2007. Dinner preparation in the modern United States. Brit Food J 109(7):531–40. .
- 2004. Oregon Environmental Health Specialist Network (EHS-Net) communication study. Available from: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/retrsk4/ehsnet.pdf . Accessed Apr 15, 2011. .
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2009. Foreign-born workers: Labor force characteristics in 2008 (USDL publication No. 09-0303). Washington , D.C. : U.S. Government Printing Office. Available from: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/forbrn.pdf . Accessed Apr 15, 2011.
- 2006. How immigrant workers experience workplace problems: a qualitative study. Arc Env Occ Health 61:249–98. , , .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2008. Preliminary FoodNet data on the incidence of infection with pathogens transmitted commonly through food—10 states, 2007. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 57:336–70.
- 2010. Assessment of food safety practices of food service food handlers (risk assessment data): testing a communication intervention (evaluation of tools). J Food Prot 73:1101–7. , , , , .
- 2010. Changing food safety behavior among Latino(a) food service employees; the food safety belief model. International CHRIE Conference, San Juan : Puerto Rico. , , , .
- 2007. Designing and conducting mixed methods research. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage. 58–87 p. , .
- 2003. Advanced mixed methods research designs. In: Tashakkori A & Teddlie C, editors. Handbook of mixed methods in social and behavioral research. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage. p. 209–40. , , , .
- 1993. Social learning theory and leadership. J Manag Dev 5(3): 46–58. .
- 2008. Better learning through structured teaching: a framework for the gradual release of responsibility. Alexandria , Va. : Assn. of Supervision and Curriculum Development. , .
- Food and Drug Administration. Food code. 2001. Available from: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dma/fc01-toc.html . Accessed Apr 14, 2011.
- 2004. The effects of perspective-taking on prejudice: the moderating role of self-evaluation. Pers Soc Psychol B 30:594–604. , .
- 2000. Perspective-taking: decreasing stereotype expression, stereotype accessibility and ingroup favouritism. J Pers Soc Psycho 78:708–24. , .
- 2003. Educational research: an introduction. Boston , Mass. : Allyn and Bacon. , , .
- 1989. Toward a conceptual framework for mixed-method evaluation designs. Educ Eval Policy Anal 11(3):255–74. , , .
- 1996. Organizational behavior. Englewood Cliffs , N.J. : Prentice Hall. .
- 2000. Training techniques and tools: evidence from the foodservice industry. J Hosp Tour R 24:320–35. , .
- 2008. Making growth make sense for retail and franchise businesses. J Bus Strat 29(3):48–50. .
- 2008. Dirty dining. Center for Science in the Public Interest. Available from: http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/ddreport.pdf . Accessed Apr 14, 2011. , .
- 2010. Food safety training needs for independent ethnic restaurants. Food Prot Trends 30:412–21. , , , .
- 2000. An investigation of multicultural training practices in the restaurant industry: the training cycle approach. Int J Contemp Hosp Manage 12:126–34. , .
- 2003. Enteric illness in Ontario Canada, from 1997–2001. J Food Prot 66:953–61. , .
- 2004. Foreign-born workers: trends in fatal occupational injuries, 1996–2001. Mon Labor Rev 127:42–53. , .
- 2002. Content analysis in mass communication: assessment and reporting of intercoder reliability. Hum Comm Res 28:587–604. , , .
- 2001. Communication problems with ethnic minorities in the construction industry. Int J Project Man 20:517–24. , .
- 2006. Communicative gestures facilitate problem solving for both communicators and recipients. J Mem Lang 55:47–63. , .
- 1991. Approaches to qualitative-quantitative methodological triangulation. Nursing Res 40:120–3. .
- National Research Council. 2003. Safety is seguridad. Washington , D.C. : Natl. Academy of Sciences.
- National Restaurant Association. 2006. Restaurant industry facts. Available from: http://www.restaurant.org/research/ind_glance.cfm . Accessed Apr 13, 2010.
- 2006. Health behavior change models and theories: contributions to rehabilitation. Disabil Rehabil 28:245–56. , , , .
- 2000. Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks—United States, 1993–1997. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 49:1–51. , , , , .
- 1999. Human learning. Upper Saddle River , N.J. : Prentice-Hall. .
- 2004. Qualitative research in tourism. Abingdon , Oxford : Routledge. .
- 2002. Understanding the nutrition transition: measuring rapid dietary changes in transitional countries. Public Health Nutr 5(6a):947–53. , , .
- 2010. Why copy others? Insights from the social learning strategies tournament. Science 328:208–13. , , , , , , , , .
- Restaurant Opportunities Center of New York. 2003. The New York city restaurant industry analysis: the quantitative report. New York , N.Y. : ROC-NY.
- 2007. WTP estimates of the societal costs of U.S. foodborne illness. Am J Agr Econ 89:1183–8. Direct Link:.
- 2010. Foodborne illness acquired in the United States—major pathogens. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/17/1/pdfs/091101p1.pdf . Accessed Jan 25, 2011. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Language use and English-speaking ability: 2000. U.S. Census Bureau. Available from: http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-29.pdf . Accessed Apr 13, 2011. , .
- 1983. Qualitative methodology. Newbury Park , Calif .: Sage. .
- 1999. The consumption of convenience foods: reference groups and eating situations. Food Qual Prefer 10:457–64. , .
- 1992. International business communications. New York : Harper Collins. .
- 2003. Qualitative research: advancing the science and practice of hospitality. Cornell Hotel Rest A 44:66–74. .
- World Health Organization. 2007. Food safety and foodborne illness. Fact sheet nr 237. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacantre/factsheets/fs237/en/ . Accessed Apr 11, 2011.