Motivation, Confidence, and Control; Unraveling Active Learning for Nutrition and Food Undergraduates
Article first published online: 26 SEP 2011
© 2011 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 10, Issue 4, pages 45–53, October 2011
How to Cite
Paxman, J. R., Nield, K. and Hall, A. C. (2011), Motivation, Confidence, and Control; Unraveling Active Learning for Nutrition and Food Undergraduates. Journal of Food Science Education, 10: 45–53. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2011.00129.x
- Issue published online: 26 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 26 SEP 2011
- MS 20110224 Submitted 2/23/2011, Accepted 5/27/2011.
- 1995. Experience-based learning. In: Foley G, editor. Understanding adult education and training. 2nd ed. Sydney : Allen & Unwin. p. 225–39. , .
- 1991. Active learning: creating excitement in the classroom AEHE-ERIC higher education report no.1. Washington , D.C. : Jossey-Bass. , .
- 2008. The effects of active learning on students memories for course content. Active Learning in Higher Educ 9:152–71. .
- 1995. Readiness for autonomy: investigating learner beliefs. System 22:195–205.
- 1985. Intrinsic motivation and self determination in human behaviour. Plenum: New York . , .
- 1995. Autonomy and motivation: a literature review. System 23:165–74.
- 1998. Ten commandments for motivating language learners: results of and empirical study. Lang Teaching Res 2:203–29. , .
- 2001. The potential for autonomy in learning: perceptions of competence, motivation and locus of control in first year undergraduate students. Stud Higher Educ 26:345–61. , .
- 2004. Work placements enhance the academic performance of bioscience graduates. J Vocat Educ Train 56:373–86. , , .
- 2000. The additive effects of semi structured classroom activities on student learning: an application of classroom-based experiential learning techniques. J Marketing Educ 22:25–34. .
- 1995. Breaking with Chinese cultural traditions: learner autonomy in English language teaching. System 23:235–43. , .
- 1995. Learning as dialogue: the dependence of learner autonomy on teacher autonomy. System 23:175–81. .
- 2002. Gender differences in educational attainment: the case of University students in England and Wales. Economica 69:481–503. , , .
- 2006. Gender and motivation. J School Psychol 44:351–73. , , .
- 2000. The ‘gender gap’ in final examination results at Oxford University. Br J Psychol 91:377–90. , , .
- 1994. Qualitative data analysis. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage. , .
- 2006. Enhancing hospitality-graduate employability. The Hospitality Rev 8:52–7. .
- 2003. Student placement: structure, skills and e-support. Educ Train 45:89–99. , .
- 2004. Does active learning work? A review of the research. J Eng Educ 93:223–31. .
- 2003. Another look at the role of age, gender and subject as predictors of academic attainment in higher education. Stud Higher Educ 28:475–93. , .
- 1984. A comparison between the results achieved by women and men studying for first degrees in British universities. Stud Higher Educ 9:47–57.
- 2003. The effect of active learning on student characteristics in a human physiology course for non majors. Adv Physiol Educ 27:207–23. .
- 2009. Research methods for business students. 5th ed. Harlow : Prentice Hall. , , .
- 2001. Determinants of degree performance in UK universities: a statistical analysis of the 1993 student cohort. Oxford Bull Econ Statist 63:29–60. , .
- 2002. Autonomy and motivation: which comes first Lang Teaching Res 6:245–66. , .
- 1995. The art of case study research. Thousand Oaks : Sage. .
- 1998. Basics of qualitative research. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage. , .
- 1998. A theoretical foundation for discovery learning. Adv Physiol Educ 20:S4–S7. .
- 2003. Case study research: design and methods. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks , Calif. : Sage. .