Innovative Laboratory Exercises
Using Food Science Demonstrations to Engage Students of All Ages in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
Version of Record online: 6 APR 2012
© 2012 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 11, Issue 2, pages 16–22, April 2012
How to Cite
Schmidt, S. J., Bohn, D. M., Rasmussen, A. J. and Sutherland, E. A. (2012), Using Food Science Demonstrations to Engage Students of All Ages in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Journal of Food Science Education, 11: 16–22. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2011.00138.x
- Issue online: 6 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 6 APR 2012
- MS 20110970 Submitted 8/8/2011, Accepted 11/8/2011.
- Alginic acid. 2011. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alginic_acid. Accessed Jul 27, 2011.
- Anonymous. 2009a. Spherification. Gourmetologia on syntynyt maaliskuussa, Helsinki, Suomi. Puh. Available from: http://www.gourmetologia.com/techniques/spherification. Accessed Jun 25, 2011.
- Anonymous. 2009b. Reverse spherification. Gourmetologia on syntynyt maaliskuussa, Helsinki, Suomi. Puh. Available from: http://www.gourmetologia.com/techniques/reverse_spherification. Accessed Jun 25, 2011.
- 1968. Educational psychology: a cognitive view. New York : Holt, Rinehart, and Winston. p. 685 xviii. .
- 2003. National Science Foundation graduate teaching fellows promote food science education in K-12 schools in Maine. J Food Sci Educ 2(4):58–60. , , .
- 1987. Seven principles for good practice in undergraduate education. AAHE Bull, 39(7):3–7. , .
- 2011. Deadly E. coli outbreak linked to german sprouts. New York Times, Europe, June 5, 2011. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/06/world/europe/06germany.html. Accessed Jun 15, 2011. , .
- 1999. Course-embedded assessment: a catalyst for realizing the paradigm shift from teaching to learning. Program Organ Dev 16(4):199–211. .
- 2010. Using food as a tool to teach science to 3rd grade students in Appalachian Ohio. J Food Sci Educ 9:41–6. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Ferran Adrià Demonstrates Alginates. 2008. Available from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKWgmx0kc1A. Accessed Jul 27, 2011.
- FMC BioPolymer. 2010. Alginates/PGA/Introduction. Available from: http://www.fmcbiopolymer.com/Food/Ingredients/AlginatesPGA/Introduction.aspx. Accessed Jul 27, 2011.
- 2011a. Dairy chemistry and physics. Available from: http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/chem.html#destab. Accessed Oct 23, 2011. .
- 2011b. Whipped cream. Available from: http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/whcream.html. Accessed Oct 23, 2011. .
- 2004. Scientific teaching. Science 304:521–2. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. How molecular gastronomy works. Atlanta , Ga. : How Stuff Works, Inc.. Available from: http://science.howstuffworks.com/molecular-gastronomy3.htm. Accessed Jul 23, 2011. .
- 1993. Principles of good practice for assessing student learning. Assess Update 5(1):6–7.
- 2003. Physical principles of food preservation. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: Marcel Dekker, Inc., p. 603. , .
- 2006. Probing the sensory properties of food materials with nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and imaging. In: Webb GA, editor. Modern magnetic resonance, part 1: applications in chemistry, biological and marine sciences, part 2: applications in medical and pharmaceutical sciences, part 3: applications in materials science and food science. New York , N.Y. : Springer. p. 1889--94. , , .
- 2010. The kinesthetic classroom: teaching and learning through movement. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin and Mathura Road, New Delhi, India: Saga Pvt. Ltd. (a joint publication). p. 159. , .
- National Science Education Standards. 1996. The National Academy of Science, The National Academies Press. Available from: http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=4962&page=1. Accessed Jan 1, 2012.
- 1946. Manufacturing of artificial edible cherries, soft sheets, and the like. United States Patent Number 2403547. .
- 2010. The science of pizza: the molecular origins of cheese, bread, and digestion using interactive activities for the general public. J Food Sci Educ 9:106–12. , , , .
- 1988. The art and science of lecture demonstration. New York, N.Y. : Taylor & Francis. 196 pp. .
- 2002. The art of changing the brain. Sterling , V.I. : Stylus Publishing LLC. 263 pp. .