Clark was with the BiState School of Food Science Washington State University, PO Box 646376, Pullman WA, 99164–6376, U.S.A. when the research was conducted.
Research in Food Science Education
Career Preparedness Survey Outcomes of Food Science Graduates—A Follow-Up Assessment
Article first published online: 6 APR 2012
© 2012 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 11, Issue 2, pages 8–15, April 2012
How to Cite
Bohlscheid, J. and Clark, S. (2012), Career Preparedness Survey Outcomes of Food Science Graduates—A Follow-Up Assessment. Journal of Food Science Education, 11: 8–15. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2011.00139.x
- Issue published online: 6 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 6 APR 2012
- MS 20110949 Submitted 8/4/2011, Accepted 12/5/2011.
- 1999. Classroom assessment techniques, a handbook for college teachers. 2nd ed. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass. 426 pp. , .
- 2008. Survey response rate levels and trends in organizational research. Human Rel 61(8):1139–60. , .
- Business Roundtable. 2009. Getting ahead-staying ahead: helping America's workforce succeed in the 21st century. Available from: http:// businessroundtable.org/uploads/studies-reports/downloads/BRT_Getting_ Ahead_online_version_1.pdf . Accessed Jul 22, 2011.
- 2006. Are they really ready to work? Employers’ perspectives on the basic knowledge and applied skills of new entrants to the 21st century U.S. workforce. Available from: http://www.conference-board.org/pdf_free/BED-06-Workforce.pdf . Accessed Jul 22, 2011. , .
- 2006. Assessment of the school of food science curriculum at Washington State University and the University of Idaho by graduates and their employers. J Food Sci Ed 1:9–14. , , , .
- 2000. A meta-analysis of response rates in web- or internet-base surveys. Ed Psych Meas 60:821–36. , , .
- 2007. Achieving goals in higher education: an experiential approach to sustainability studies. Int J Sust Higher Ed 8(1):53–68 .
- Gallup Organization. 2010. Employers’ perception of graduate employability. Flash Eurobarometer 304. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/public_ opinion/flash/fl_304_en.pdf . Accessed Jul 21, 2011.
- 2004. What works in student retention? Iowa City , Iowa : ACT, Inc. , .
- 2002. Enhancing the learning and employability of graduates: the role of generic skills. Business/Higher Education Round Table Position Paper No. 9. 16 p. , , .
- 2006. How should colleges prepare students to succeed in today's global economy? Based on surveys among employers and recent college graduates. Conducted on behalf of: The Association of American Colleges and Universities. Washington , DC : Peter D. Hart Research Associates, Inc. 13 p.
- 2008. How should colleges assess and improve student learning? Employers’ views on the accountability challenge. A survey of employers conducted on behalf of: The Association of American Colleges and Universities. Washington , DC : Peter D. Hart Research Associates, Inc. 9 p.
- 2010. Raising the Bar. Employers’ views on college learning in the wake of the economic downturn. A survey among employers conducted on behalf of: The Association of American Colleges and Universities. Washington , DC : Peter D. Hart Research Associates, Inc. 9 p.
- 2007. IFT and continuing education. Food Tech 62(1):11. .
- 2009. Questionnaire survey nonresponse: a comparison of postal mail and internet surveys. Int J Human-Computer Inter 25(5):348–73. , .
- 2000. Learner-centered assessment on college campuses. Shifting the focus from teaching to learning. Needham Heights , MA : Allyn & Bacon; A Pearson Education Company. 286 p. , .
- 2006. Making the case for liberal education. Responding to challenges. Washington , DC :Association of American Colleges and Universities. 16 p.
- [IFT] Institute of Food Technologists. 2001. Educational standards. Chicago , IL : Institute of Food Technologists. Available from: http://www.ift.org/ knowledge-center/learn-about-food-science/become-a-food-scientist/ approved-undergrad-programs/education-standards.aspx . Accessed Jul 14, 2011.
- [IFT] Institute of Food Technologists. 2009. Educational standards for degrees in food science. Chicago , IL : Institute of Food Technologists. Available from: http://www.ift.org/cms/?pid=1000427 . Accessed Jul 14, 2011.
- 2011 Introduction to the IFT 2011 resource guide for approval and re-approval of undergraduate food science programs. J Food Sci Educ 10(4):54–90.
- 2001. Employers’ views of postgraduate physicists. Swindon , UK : Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council. Available from: http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/ pdflibrary/1417phys.pdf . Accessed Jul 21, 2011. , , , , .
- 2005. Teaching more by lecturing less. Cell Biol Ed 4(4): 298–310. , .
- [LEAP] National Leadership Council for Liberal Education & America's Promise (LEAP). 2007. College Learning for the New Global Century. Washington , DC : Association of American Colleges and Universities. 14 p.
- 1997. Right tracks—wrong rails: the development of generic skills in higher education. Res Higher Ed 38(3): 365–78. , .
- 2002 Team-based learning: a transformative use of small groups. Westport, CT : Praeger Publishers. 288 p. , , .
- 2008. 2007 IFT membership employment & salary survey. Food Tech 62(2):40–66.
- 2010. 2009 IFT membership employment & salary survey. Food Tech 64(2):20–37.
- 2006. Relative importance of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) core competencies – A case study. J Food Sci Ed 5:35–39. , , .
- [NAE] National Academy of Engineering of the National Academies. 2005. Educating the engineer of 2020: adapting engineering education to the new century. Washington , DC : National Academies Press. 208 p.
- 2009. Conducting a graduate employer survey: a Monash University experience. Qual Assur Ed: An Int Perspect 17(2):191–203. , .
- [NCVER] National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd. 2003. Defining generic skills: at a glance. Adelaide SA , Australia : NCVER Ltd. 12 p.
- [NRC] National Research Council. 1999. How people learn: brain, mind, experience, and school. Brandsford JD, Brown AL, Cockling RR, editors. Washington , DC : National Academies Press. 384 p.
- [NRC] National Research Council. 2009. Transforming agricultural education for a changing world. Washington, DC : The National Academies Press. 194 p.
- [RIT] Rochester Institute of Technology. 2009. Department of Economics Alumni Survey. Available from: http://www.rit.edu/cla/economics/ alumnisurvey.php . Accessed July 22, 2011.
- 2000. Effects of career preparation experiences on the initial employment success of college graduates. Res Higher Ed 41(6):753–67. , , .
- [SCANS] The Secretary's Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills. 1991. What work requires of schools. Available from: http://wdr.doleta.gov/ SCANS/whatwork/whatwork.pdf . Accessed Jul 22, 2011.
- 2001. E-mail survey response rates: a review. J Comput Mediat Commun 6(2). Available from: http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol6/issue2/ sheehan.html . Accesses July 11, 2011.
- 2005. Preparing graduates for employment. Bull Higher Ed Res 5:4–8.
- C. 2002. Innovations in survey research. Soc Sci Comput Rev 20(1): 22–30. , .
- 2004. Program assessment and program improvement: closing the loop. Assess Eval Higher Ed 29(5):597–610.
- 2007. Conducting online surveys. Thousand Oaks , CA : Sage Publications. 208 p. , .
- [USDE] US Department of Education. 2006. A test of leadership: Charting the future of US Higher Education. Washington , DC : US Department of Education. 62 p.
- 2004. Teaching, learning, and millennial students. New Direct Stud Serv 106:59–71.
- 2008. Assessing graduate attributes for employability in the context of lifelong learning: the holistic approach. US-China Ed Rev 5(11):1–10. , .
- 2004. College curriculum competencies and skills former students found essential to their careers. Coll Stud J Available from: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCR/is_3_38/ai_n6249226/ . Accessed Jul 11, 2011.