Higher Education Science Student Perspectives on Classroom Instructional Methods: A Pilot Study
Article first published online: 12 SEP 2012
© 2012 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 11, Issue 4, pages 59–63, October 2012
How to Cite
Bohlscheid, J. C. and Davis, J. C. (2012), Higher Education Science Student Perspectives on Classroom Instructional Methods: A Pilot Study. Journal of Food Science Education, 11: 59–63. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2012.00152.x
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 12 SEP 2012
- MS 20111565 Submitted 12/31/2011, Accepted 7/5/2012.
- [AAPOR] American Association for Public Opinion Research. 2011. Response Rates: Standard Definitions. Final disposition of case codes and oucome rates for surveys. Availalable from: http://www.aapor.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Standard_Definitions2&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=3156. Accessed 5 March, 2012.
- 2003. Analyzing Quantitative Data. London : Sage Publishing. 352 p.
- 2006. College science teachers’ views of classroom inquiry. Sci Educ 90(5):784–802. , , , .
- 2010. Teaching the process of science: faculty perceptions and an effective methodology. Cell Biol Educ 9(4):524–535. , , , .
- 1994. Analyzing data measured by individual Likert-type items. J Agric Ed 35(4):31–35. , .
- 2011. Improved learning in a large-enrollment physics class. Science 332(6031):862–864. , , .
- 1996. Navigating the bumpy road to student-centered instruction. J Coll Sci Teach 44:43–47. , ,
- 2008. New university students’ instructional preferences and how these relate to learning styles and motivational strategies. Elect J Res Educ Psychol 6(3):547–570. , , .
- 1964. The science curriculum improvement study. J Res Sci Teach 2(4):293–303. ,
- 2006. Why minimal guidance during instruction does not work: an analysis of the failure of constructivist, discovery, problem based, experiential, and inquiry based teaching. Educ Psychol 41(2):75–86. , , .
- 2000. The development of cognitive skills to support inquiry learning. Cog Instr 18(4):495–523. , , , .
- 1989. A theory of instruction: using the learning cycle to teach science concepts and thinking skills [Monograph #1]. Kansas State Univ. Manhattan , KS : Nat. Assoc. Res. Sci. Teach. , , .
- 1986. The cognitive skill of teaching. J Educ Psych 78:75–95 , .
- 2011. Using the activity model of inquiry to enhance general chemistry students’ understanding of nature of science. J Chem Educ 88(8):1041–1047. , .
- 2005. Should there be a three-strikes rule against pure discovery learning? Amer Psychol 59(1):14–19. .
- 1936. The origins of intelligence in children. New York : Norton & Company. .
- 2004. Does active learning work? A review of the research. J Eng Educ 93(3):223–231.
- 2007. The many faces of inductive teaching and learning. J Coll Sci Teach 36(5):14–20. , .
- 2006. Blueprint for learning. Sterling VA : Stylus Publishing. 161 p. .