The author would like to acknowledge Jeff Varcoe and Cynthia Zook for all the help during the production of this document.
The Use of Indicators and Surrogate Microorganisms for the Evaluation of Pathogens in Fresh and Fresh-Cut Produce
Version of Record online: 20 NOV 2006
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 2, Issue Supplement s1, pages 179–185, January 2003
How to Cite
Busta, F.F., Suslow, T.V., Parish, M.E., Beuchat, L.R., Farber, J.N., Garrett, E.H. and Harris, L.J. (2003), The Use of Indicators and Surrogate Microorganisms for the Evaluation of Pathogens in Fresh and Fresh-Cut Produce. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 2: 179–185. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2003.tb00035.x
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2006
- Version of Record online: 20 NOV 2006
- [Anonymous]. 2000. NFPA White Paper– Significance of coliforms and generic Escherichia coli on fresh and minimally processed produce. http://www.nfpa-food.org/members/science/wp_ecoli.htm15. Accessed 2001 Aug 29.
- 1983. The incidence and level of contamination of British fresh sausages and ingredients with salmonellas. J Hygiene 90: 213–23.(cited in Mossel and others 1995). , .
- 2001. Sensitization of Listeria monocytogenes to low pH, organic acids, and osmotic stress by ethanol. Appl Environ Microbiol 67: 1594–600. , .
- 2001. Fruits and Vegetables. In: DownesFP, ItoK editors. , Compendium of methods for the microbiological examination of foods. Washington : American Public Health Association. p 515–20. , .
- 1999. Effects of pH and acid resistance on the radiation resistance of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli. J Food Prot 62: 219–28. , , .
- 2000. Acquisition of microbiological data to enhance food safety. J Food Prot 63(6): 832–8. .
- 2000. Review of studies on the thermal resistance of Salmonellae. J Food Prot 63: 779–95. , .
- McMaster P, and others. 1989. Increasing rate of pneumonia hospitalizations in the Bronx: a sentinel indicator for human immunodeficiency virus. Int J Epidemiol 18: 926–33.(cited in Mossel and others 1995). , ,
- Paller MD, and others. 1983. The utility of endotoxins as a surrogate indicator in potable water microbiology. Water Res 17: 803–7.(cited in Mossel and others 1995). , ,
- 1988. F-specific RNA-bacteriophages as model viruses in water hygiene: ecological aspects. Wat Sci Technol 20: 399–407.(cited in Mossel and others 1995). , .
- [ICMSF] International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods. 1986. Sampling for microbiological analysis: principles and specific applications. 2nd ed. Toronto : Univ Toronto Pr. (Microorganisms in foods: 2).
- [ICMSF] International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods. 1998. Fruits and fruit products. London : Blackie Academic and Professional. 252–73p. (Microorganisms in Foods: 6).
- [ICMSF] International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods. 2001. Microbiological testing and food safety management. [unknown]: Aspen. (Microorganisms in foods; 7). Forthcoming.
- 1977. The significance of the index and indicator organisms in foods. In: Presented at the Tenth Intl Symposium of the IUMS Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene; 1977 Sept 5–10; Szczecin, Poland. Unpublished: for an account of this paper, see Mossel, D.A.A., Coliform test for cheese and other foods. Lancet ii, 1425. (cited in Mossel and others 1995). .
- 1996. Indicators of food microbial quality and safety. In: Modern Food Microbiology. 5th ed. New York: Chapman & Hall. p 387–407. (Food science texts series). .
- 2000. Indicators of food microbial quality and safety. In: Modern food microbiology. 6th ed. Gaithersburg ( MD): Aspen. p 387–406. .
- 2001. Enterobacteriaceae, Coliforms, and Escherichia coli as quality and safety indicators. In: DownesFP, ItoK editors. , Compendium of methods for the microbiological examination of foods. Washington : American Public Health Association. p 69–82. , .
- 1999. Report of the NACMCF qualified through verification working group. Personal communication. (cited in Anonymous 2000). .
- 2000. Attachment and growth of Salmonella chester on apple fruit and in vivo response of attached bacteria to sanitizer treatments. J Food Prot 63(7): 876–83. , .
- 2000. Fresh and processed fruits, Chapter 27. In: LundBM, Baird-ParkerTC, GouldGW editors. , The microbiological safety and quality of food, Volume I. Gaithersburg ( MD): Aspen. p 738–58. , .
- Budacz AP, and others. 1991. Important factors for testing barrier materials with surrogate viruses. Appl Environ Microbiol 57: 2549–54.(cited in Mossel and others 1995). , ,
- 2000. Habituation of Salmonella spp. at reduced water activity and its effect on heat tolerance. Appl Environ Microbiol 66: 4921–5. , , , , .
- 1995. Essentials of the microbiology of foods: a textbook for advanced studies. Chichester ( England): John Wiley & Sons. 287–9p. , , , .
- [NACMCF] National Advisory Committee on Microbiological Criteria for Foods. 1999. Microbiological safety evaluations and recommendations on fresh produce. Food Control 10: 117–43.
- 2000. Fresh and processed vegetables. In: LundBM, Baird-ParkerTC, GouldGW editors. , The microbiological safety and quality of food. Gaithersburg ( MD): Aspen. p 620–84. , .
- 2001. The effects of UVB and temperature on the survival of natural populations and pure cultures of Campylobacter jejuni, Camp. coli, Camp. lari and urease-positive thermophilic campylobacters (UPTC) in surface waters. J Appl Microbiol 90: 256–67. , , .
- 2001. Enhanced acid sensitivity of pressuredamaged Escherichia coli 0157 cells. Appl Environ Microbiol 67: 1983–5. , , , .
- 1993. Clostridium perfringens and somatic coliphages as indicators of the efficiency of drinking water treatment for viruses and protozoan cysts. Appl Environ Microbiol 59: 2418–24.(cited in Mossel and others 1995). , .
- 1989. Injured index and pathogenic bacteria: occurrence and detection in foods, water and feeds. Boca Raton ( FL): CRC Pr. .
- 1997. Indicator microorganisms and microbiological criteria. In: DoyleMP, BeuchatLR, MontvilleTJ editors. , Food microbiology: fundamentals and frontiers. Washington : American Society for Microbiology. p 66–80. , .
- 1998. Effect of environmental stress on the ability of Listeria monocytogenes Scott A to attach to food contact surfaces. J Food Prot 61: 1293–8. , .
- 1988. Inactivation of hepatitis A virus and model viruses in water by free chlorine and monochloramine. Wat Sci Technol 20: 385–92.(cited in Mossel and others 1995). , , .
- 1989. Disinfection of model indicators organisms in drinking water pilot plant by using peroxone. Appl Environ Micro-biol 55: 2230–41.(cited in Mossel and others 1995). , , , .
- 2001. Peroxidative stress adaptation and thermal cross-resistance in Escherichia coli 0157:H7 933 subjected to sublethal doses of peroxyacetic acid sanitizer. J Food Prot 64: 767–9. , , .