Bioactivity of Resveratrol
Version of Record online: 2 AUG 2006
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 65–70, July 2006
How to Cite
King, R. E., Bomser, J. A. and Min, D. B. (2006), Bioactivity of Resveratrol. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 5: 65–70. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2006.00001.x
- Issue online: 2 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 2 AUG 2006
- MS 20060003 Submitted 1/3/2006, Accepted 4/5/2006
- 2002. Determination of antioxidant power of red and white wines by a new electrochemical method and its correlation with polyphenolic content. J Agric Food Chem 50(11):3112–5. , , , .
- 1997. NF-κB as a frequent target for immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory molecules. Adv Immunol 65:111–37. , .
- 2002. Suppression of 7,12-dimethylbenz(a) anthracene-induced mammary carcinogenesis in rats by resveratrol: role of nuclear factor-κB, cyclooxygenase 2, and matrix metalloprotease 9. Cancer Res 62(17):4945–54. , , .
- 2000. Estrogenic/antiestrogenic and scavenging properties of (E)- and (Z)-resveratrol. Life Sci 66(9):769–77. , , , , .
- 2003. Resveratrol provides late-phase cardioprotection by means of a nitric oxide- and adenosine-mediated mechanism. Eur J Pharmacol 465(1-2):115–23. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Resveratrol inhibits metal ion-dependent and independent peroxidation of porcine low-density lipoproteins. Biochem Pharmacol 53(9):1347–55. , , .
- 2001a. Biological effects of resveratrol. Antioxid Redox Signal 3(6):1041–64. , , .
- 2001b. Estrogenic and antiestrogenic properties of resveratrol in mammary tumor models. Cancer Res 61(20):7456–63. , , , , , .
- 2001. Resveratrol exhibits cytostatic and antiestrogenic properties with human endometrial adenocarcinoma (Ishikawa) cells. Cancer Res 61(16):6137–44. , .
- 2005. Resveratrol inhibits cell cycle progression in U937 cells. Oncol Rep 13(1):133–7. , .
- 2005. Resveratrol inhibits angiotensin II-induced endothelin-1 gene expression and subsequent proliferation in rat aortic smooth muscle cells. Eur J Pharmcol 515(1-3):1–9. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Vasorelaxing activity of resveratrol and quercetin in isolated rat aorta. Gen Pharmacol 27(2):363–6. , .
- 2002. Peanut roots as a source of resveratrol. J Agric Food Chem 50(6):1665–7. , , .
- 1997. Alcohol, ischemic heart disease, and the French paradox. Coron Artery Dis 8(10):645–9. .
- 1988. Phytoalexin production potential of grape berries. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 113:230–4. , .
- 2003. Inhibition by red wine extract, resveratrol, of cytokine release by alveolar macrophages in COPD. Thorax 58(11):942–6. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Influence of fosetyl-A1 on phytoalexin accumulation in the Plasmopara viticola-grapevine interaction. Physiol Mol Plant Pathol 34:203–13. , .
- 2002. Resveratrol inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in human pancreatic cancer cells. Pancreas 25(4):71–6. , .
- 1999. trans-Resveratrol inhibits calcium influx in thrombin-stimulated human platelets. Br J Pharmacol 128(1):149–57. , , .
- 2003. Molecular mechanism of the chemopreventive effects of resveratrol. Mut Res 523-524:145–50. .
- 1999. Resveratrol inhibits MAPK activity and nuclear translocation in coronary artery smooth muscle: reversal of endothelin-1 stimulatory effects. FEBS Lett 451(1):63–7. , .
- 1993. Inhibition of human LDL by resveratrol. Lancet 341(8852):1103–4. , , .
- 1999. Antioxidant activity of resveratrol and alcohol-free wine polyphenols related to LDL oxidation and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Life Sci 64(26):2511–21. , , .
- 2004. Trans-resveratrol, quercetin, (+)-cathechin, and (-)-epicathechin content in south Italian monvarietal wines: relationship with maceration time and marc pressing during winemaking. J Agric Food Chem 52(18):5747–51. , , , , .
- 1997. Resveratrol, a polyphenolic compound found in grapes and wine, is agonist for the estrogen receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 94(25):14138–43. , , , .
- 2003. Absorption of three wine-related polyphenols in three different matrices by healthy subjects. Clin Biochem 36(1):79–87. , , .
- 2002. Resveratrol suppresses angiotensin II-induced Akt/Protein Kinase B and p70 s6 kinase phosphorylation and subsequent hypertrophy in rat aortic smooth muscle cells. Mol Pharmacol 62(4):772–7. , , , , .
- 2005. Cellular uptake and efflux of trans-piceid and its aglycone trans-resveratrol on the apical membrane of human intestinal Caco-2 cells. J Agric Food Chem 53(3):798–803. , , , , , .
- 1974. Polyphenols of Eucalyptus sideroxylon wood. Phytochemistry 13:1591–5. , , .
- 2000. Chemopreventative properties of trans-resveratrol are associated with inhibition activation of the IκB kinase. Cancer Res 60(13):3477–83. , .
- 1999. Resveratrol suppresses cell transformation and induces apoptosis through a p53-dependent pathway. Carcinogenesis 20(2):237–42. , , , .
- 2000. Cardioprotective effect of resveratrol, a natural antioxidant derived from grapes. Cardiovasc Res 47(3):549–55. , , , , .
- 2001. Protective effects of resveratrol on hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis in rat phenochromocytoma. Mutat Res 496(1-2):181–90. , .
- 1997. Cancer chemopreventive activity of resveratrol, a natural product derived from grapes. Sci 275(5297):218–20. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Resveratrol induces growth inhibition, S-phase arrest, apoptosis, and changes in biomarker expression in several human cancer cell lines. Clin Cancer Res 8(3):893–903. , , , , , .
- 2003. Resveratrol transport and metabolism by human intestinal CaCo-2 cells. J Pharm Pharmacol 55(3):307–12. , , .
- 2005. Resveratrol reduces oxidation and proliferation of human retinal pigment epithelial cells via extracellular signal-regulated kinase inhibition. Chem Biol Interact 151(2):143–9. , , .
- 2000. Resveratrol is absorbed in the small intestine as resveratrol glucuronide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 272(1):212–7. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Resveratrol inhibits phorbol ester-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression in mouse skin: MAPKs and AP-1 as potential molecular targets. BioFactors 21(1-4):33–9. , , , .
- 2004. Molecular basis of chemoprevention by resveratrol: NF-κB and AP-1 as potential targets. Mutat Res 555(1-2):65–80. , .
- 2004. Resveratrol protects against 4-HNE induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in Swiss 3T3 fibroblasts. BioFactors 20(1):1–10. , , , .
- 2004. Human hepatic cell uptake of resveratrol: involvement of both passive diffusion and carrier-mediated process. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 316(4):1132–7. , , , , , .
- 1976. The production of resveratrol by Vitis vinifera and other members of the Vitaceae as a response to infection or injury. Physiol Plant Pathol 9:77–86. , .
- 1993. Occurrence of resveratrol in selected California wines by a new HPLC method. J Agri Food Chem 41(4):521–3. , .
- 2004. The grape and wine polyphenol piceatannol is a potent inducer of apoptosis in human SK-Mel-28 melanoma cells. Eur J Nutr 43(5):275–84. , , .
- 2002. Resveratrol induced serine phosphorylation of p53 causes apoptosis in a mutant p53 prostate cancer cell line. J Urol 168(2):748–55. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of trans-resveratrol from Polygonum cuspidatum on bone loss using the ovariectomized rat model. J Med Food 8(1):14–9. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Resveratrol modulates apoptosis and oxidation in human blood mononuclear cells. Eur J Clin Invest 33(9):818–23. .
- 1999. Resveratrol, a natural product derived from grape, exhibits antiestrogenic activity and inhibits the growth of human breast cancer cells. J Cell Physiol 179(3):297–304. , .
- 2000. Resveratrol suppresses TNF-induced activation of nuclear transcription factors NF-κB, Activator protein-1, and apoptosis: potential role of reactive oxygen intermediates and lipid peroxidation. J Immunol 164(12):6509–19. , , .
- 2004. Resveratrol, a polyphenol found in grapes, suppresses oxidative damage and stimulates apoptosis during early colonic inflammation in rats. Biochem Pharmacol 67(7):1399–410. , , , .
- 1995. Isolation, characterization, and evolution in red vinification of resveratrol monomers. J Agric Food Chem 43(7):1820–3. , , .
- 2004. Urinary and plasma levels of resveratrol and quercetin in humans, mice, and rats after ingestion of pure compounds and grape juice. J Agric Food Chem 52(4):935–42. , , , , .
- 1998. Resveratrol stimulates the proliferation and differentiation of osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells. Biochem Biophy Res Commun 253(3):859–63. , , , .
- 2000. Resveratrol inhibits AGEs-induced proliferation and collagen synthesis activity in vascular smooth muscle cells from stroke-prone spontaneous hypertensive rats. Biochem Biophy Res Commun 274(1):61–7. , , .
- 1997. Tumor-specific expression of cytochrome P450 CYP1B1. Cancer Res 57(14):3026–31. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Resveratrol and vitamin C as antioxidants in blood platelets. Thromb Res 106(2):143–8. , .
- 2002. Effect of resveratrol, a natural polyphenolic compound, on platelet activation induced by endotoxin or thrombin. Thromb Res 107(3-4):141–5. , , , .
- 2005. Inhibition of cardiac fibroblast proliferation and myofibroblast differentiation by resveratrol. Am J Physiol Heart Cir Physiol 288(3):H1131–H8. , , , , .
- 2002. The possible implication of trans-resveratrol in the cardioprotective effects of long-term moderate wine consumption. Mol Pharmacol 61(2):294–302. , , , , , .
- 1999. Resveratrol, a polyphenolic compound found in wine, inhibits tissue factor expression in vascular cells: a possible mechanism for the cardiovascular benefits associated with moderate wine consumption. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19(2):419–26. , , .
- 2002. The cancer preventative agent resveratrol is converted to the anticancer agent piceatannol by the cytochrome P450 enzyme CYPIBI. Br J Cancer 86:774–8. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of resveratrol, piceatannol, triacetoxystilbene, and genistein on the inflammatory response of human peripheral blood leukocytes. Mol Nutr Food Res 49(5):431–42. , , , .
- 1984. Stilbene synthase and chalcone synthase. Two different constitutive enzymes in cultured cells of Picea exelsa. Plant Physiol 75:489–92. , .
- 2000. Occurrence of resveratrol in edible peanuts. J Agric Food Chem 48(4):1243–6. , , .
- 1997. Contents of resveratrol, piceid, and their isomers in commercially available wines made from grapes cultivated in Japan. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 61(11):1800–5. , , , .
- 2001. Resveratrol-induced activation of p53 and apoptosis is mediated by extracellular-signal-regulated protein kinases and p38 kinase. Cancer Res 61(4):1604–10. , , , , .
- 1992. Concentration of phytoalexin resveratrol in wine. Am J Enol Vitic 43:49–52. , .
- 2003. Sequestering ability of butylated hydrooxytoluene, propyl gallate, resveratrol, and vitamin C and E against ABTS, DPPH, and hydroxyl free radicals in chemical and biological systems. J Agric Food Chem 51(4):1077–80. , , .
- 1999. trans-Resveratrol content in commercial peanuts and peanut products. J Agric Food Chem 47(4):1435–9. , .
- 1997. Resveratrol: a molecule whose time has come? And gone? Clin Biochem 30(2):91–113. , , .
- 1995. Influences of viticultural and oenological factors on changes in cis- and trans-resveratrol in commercial wines. J Wine Res 6(2):107–22. , .
- 1998. Resveratrol inhibits cyclooxgenase-2 transcription and activity in phorbol ester-treated human mammary epithelial cells. J Bio Chem 273(34):21875–82. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Resveratrol, an antioxidant present in red wine, induces apoptosis in human promyelocytic leukemia (HL-60) cells. Cancer Lett 140(1-2):1–10. , , , , , .
- 2005. Bioavailability of trans-resveratrol from red wine in humans. Mol Nutr Food Res 49(5):495–504. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. High absorption but very low bioavailability of oral resveratrol in humans. Drug Metab Dispos 32(12):1377–82. , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of red wine and wine polyphenol resveratrol on platelet aggregation in vivo and in vitro. Int J Mol Med 9(1):77–9. , , , , , .
- 2002. Piceatannol, a natural analog of resveratrol, inhibits progression through the Sphase of the cell cycle in colorectal cancer cell lines. J Nutr 132(2):298–302. , , , .
- 2001. Resveratrol inhibits phorbol ester and UV-induced activator protein 1 activation by interfering with mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways. Mol Pharmacol 60(1):217–24. , , , , , .