This article is part of a collection entitled “Models for Safety, Quality, and Competitiveness of the Food Processing Sector,” published in Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. It has been peer-reviewed and was written as a follow-up of a pre-IFT workshop, partially funded by the USDA NRI grant 2005-35503-16208.
Modeling to Improve the Efficiency of Product and Process Development
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2008
2008 Institute of Food Technologists
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 175–181, January 2008
How to Cite
Jousse, F. (2008), Modeling to Improve the Efficiency of Product and Process Development. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 7: 175–181. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2007.00033.x
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2008
- MS 20070247 Submitted 4/5/2007, Accepted 7/15/2007
- 2003. Prediction of emulsion particle sizes using a computational fluid dynamics approach. Coll Surf B 31(1–4):141. , , , , .
- 2005. Why food microstructure? J Food Eng 67:3. .
- 2000. New dimensions in microstructure of food products. Trends Food Sci Technol 11:3. , , .
- BRITE/EURAM project BE-4322. Development of a computational code for the design of multi-phase processes at high phase fraction. Available from http://cordis.europa.eu/search/index.cfm?fuseaction=proj.simpledocument&PJ RCN=2730887&CFID=1213829&CFTOKEN=41465542 Accessed November 2007.
- 2003. Food process engineering: the last 25 years and challenges ahead. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf 2:42–81. , .
- 1991. The modelling of coalescence processes in fluid-liquid dispersions: a review of current understanding. Trans IchemE 69:259–70. .
- 2001. Physical and flavor stability of mayonnaise. Trends Food Sci Technol 12:157–63. , .
- 2005. Minority game of price promotions in fast moving consumer goods markets. Physica A 350(2–4):533. , .
- 2004. Product and process design for structured products. AIChE J 50:1656. .
- 1993. Rheological models used for the prediction of the flow properties of food products: a literature review. Trans IchemE 71:139–79. .
- 2005. Self-assembled shells composed of colloidal particles: fabrication and characterization. Langmuir 21(7):2963. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Droplet breakup in concentrated emulsions. J Rheol 45:227–36. , , .
- 2003. The use of computational fluid dynamics to model product-process interactions. In: Balsa-CantoE, MoreJ, BangaJR, OñateE, editors. II International Workshop on Information Technologies and Computing Techniques for the Agro-Food Sector. Barcelona : Intl. Center for Numerical Methods in Engineering. p 9–12. .
- 2006. Product-process integration in food manufacture: engineering sustained health. AIChE J 52:1632. , , .
- 1989. Rheology of foams and highly concentrated emulsions IV. An experimental study of the shear viscosity and yield stress of concentrated emulsions. J Coll Interface Sci 128:176–87. , .
- MIT Technology Review, September 2005. R&D scorecard 2005. The innovation index cumulates indicators of R&D spending. Available from: http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/09/issue/feature_rd.asp?p=1 . Accessed Jan 2006.
- 1994. Modelling ice crystal coarsening in concentrated disperse food systems. J Food Sci 59(6):1227. , , .
- 2003. Réalisation du pianocktail. Pour la Sci 307. .
- 2005. Monodisperse double emulsions generated from a microcapillary device. Science 308(5721):537–41. , , , , , .
- 1990. Liquid-multisolid phase equilibria in fats. Theory and experiments [PhD thesis]: Available from: TU Delft , the Netherlands . .
- 2002. Good food requires process engineering?! ESCAPE-12, The Hague , the Netherlands . .
- 1992. Modeling and control of the product structure of food emulsions. In: SinghRP, and others, editors. Advances in food engineering. Boca Raton , Fla .: CRC Press. p 409–27. , , .
- 1996. Droplet breakup mechanisms during emulsification in colloid mills at high dispersed phase volume fraction. Trans IChemE 74A:554. , , , .