This article is part of a collection entitled “Models for Safety, Quality, and Competitiveness of the Food Processing Sector,” published in Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. It has been peer-reviewed and was written as a follow-up of a pre-IFT workshop, partially funded by the USDA NRI grant 2005-35503-16208.
Kinetic Modeling of Food Quality: A Critical Review
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2008
2008 Institute of Food Technologists
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 144–158, January 2008
How to Cite
Van Boekel, M. A.J.S. (2008), Kinetic Modeling of Food Quality: A Critical Review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 7: 144–158. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2007.00036.x
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2008
- MS 20070437 Submitted 6/8/2007, Accepted 9/12/2007
- 2004. Effect of pH on the viscosity of heated reconstituted skim milk. Int Dairy J 14:541–8. , , .
- 2002. Thermal inactivation of pectin methylesterase, polygalacturonase, and peroxidase in tomato juice. J Agric Food Chem 50:6–9. , , , .
- 1992. Optimum experimental designs. Oxford : Clarendon Press. , .
- 1997. Compound D- and Ds-optimum designs for determining the order of a chemical reaction. Technometrics 39:347–356. , .
- 2002. Compound and other designs for systems of nonlinear differential equations arising in chemical kinetics. Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems 61:17–33. , .
- 1998. D- and T-optimum designs for the kinetics of a reversible chemical reaction. Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems 43:185–198. , , .
- 2007. Optimal design of dynamic experiments for improved estimation of kinetic parameters of thermal degradation. J Food Eng 82:178–88. , , .
- 2005. Activity of water in aqueous systems: a frequently neglected property. Chem Soc Rev 34:440–58. , , , .
- 1978. Statistics for experimenters. New York : Wiley & Sons. , , .
- 2002. Kinetic modelling of reactions in heated monosaccharide-casein systems. J Agric Food Chem 50:6725–39. , .
- 2007. Modelling microorganisms in food. Cambridge , U.K. : Woodhead Publishing in Food Science and Technology and Nutrition. 294 p. , , .
- 1998. Model selection and inference. A practical information and-theoretic approach. New York : Springer Verlag. , .
- 1962. The non-competitive inhibition and irreversible inactivation of yeast invertase by urea. J Cellular Comp Physiol 59:1–13. , , .
- 2000. Designing food with Bayesian belief networks. In: ParmeeI, editor. Adaptive computing in design and manufacture. Univ. of Plymouth. p 83–94. .
- 2004. A model of non-isothermal degradation of nutrients, pigments and enzymes. J Sci Food Agric 84:217–26. , .
- 2006a. Linear and non-linear kinetics in the synthesis and degradation of acrylamide in foods and model systems. CRC Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 46:489–517. , .
- 2006b. Prediction of vitamins loss during non-isothermal heat processes and storage with non-linear kinetic models. Trends Food Sci Technol 17:24–34. , .
- 2005. Calculating the efficacy of heat sterilization processes. J Food Eng 67:59–69. , , .
- 2006. Expressing the equivalence of non-isothermal and isothermal heat sterilization processes. J Sci Food Agric 86:785–92. , , .
- 2000. Optimum experimental design for estimating the kinetic parameters of processes described by the first-order Arrhenius model under linearly increasing temperature profiles. J Food Eng 46:53–60. , .
- 1997. Optimal experimental design for estimating the kinetic parameters of the Bigelow model. J Food Eng 33:111–28. , , .
- 1998. Optimal experimental design for estimating the kinetic parameters of processes described by the Weibull probability distribution function. J Food Eng 37:175–91. , , .
- 1999. Design and analysis of experiments. New York : Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2003. Estimation of kinetic parameters for nonisothermal food processes. J Food Sci 68:728–41. .
- 1906. Eine neue Bestimmung der Moleküldimensionen (A new way to determine molecular dimensions). Ann Physik 19:289–306. .
- 1911. Berichtigung zu meiner Arbeit: Eine neue Bestimmung der Moleküldimensionen (Message about my work: A new way to determine molecular dimensions.) Ann Physik 34:591–2. .
- 1996. Food chemistry. 3rd ed. New York : Marcel Dekker. .
- 1993. Shelf-life prediction: theory and application. Food Control 4:125–33. , .
- 1988. Predicting microbial growth: growth responses of salmonellae in a laboratory medium as affected by pH, sodium chloride, and storage temperature. Int J Food Microbiol 6:155–78. , , .
- 2005. Modeling biological systems. Principles and applications. 2nd ed. New York : Springer. .
- 2007. Uncertainty in thermal process calculations due to variability in 1st-order and Weibull kinetic parameters. J Food Sci 72:155–67. , , .
- 2001. Thermal inactivation kinetics of bovine cathepsin D. J Dairy Res 68:267–76. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Kinetics of quality changes during food frying. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 46:39–258. , .
- 1980. Über die Reaktionskinetik der Sporenabtötung und chemischer Veränderungen bei der thermischen Haltbarmachung von Milch zur Optimieruung von Erhitzungsverfahren [PhD thesis]. Germany : Technical Univ. of Munich. .
- 1999. Food product design. A computer-aided statistical approach. Lancaster , Pa .: Technomic Publishing Co. .
- 2005. Modern food microbiology. 7th ed. New York : Springer Verlag. , , .
- 1983. Reaction kinetics and accelerated tests. Simulation as a function of temperature. In: Saguy I, editor. Computer-aided techniques in food technology. New York : Marcel Dekker. p 71–115. .
- 1984. Application of chemical kinetics to deterioration of foods. J Chem Ed 61:348–58. .
- 1995. Use of time-temperature integrators, predictive microbiology, and related technologies for assessing the extent and impact of temperature abuse on meat and poultry products. J Food Saf 15:201–27. , .
- 1987. Chemical kinetics. New York : Harper & Row. .
- 2000. A critical appraisal of the kinetic model for the Maillard browning of glucose with glycine. Food Chem 68:21–8. , .
- 2002. Glass transition and food technology: a critical appraisal. J Food Sci 67:2444–58. , , , , .
- 2007. Food product design. An integrated approach. Wageningen : Wageningen Academic Publishers. 236 p. , , editors.
- 1986. Elevation of the heat resistance of Salmonella typhimurium by sublethal heat shock. J Appl Bacteriol 61:389–93. , .
- 1997. Analysis of non-isothermal kinetic measurements. Anal Chim Acta 337:73–81. , , .
- 2007. Influence of dispersed particles on small and large deformation properties of concentrated caseinate composites. Food Hydrocolloids 21:73–84. , , , , .
- 2003. Enzyme kinetics. A modern approach. Hoboken , N.J .: Wiley Interscience. .
- 2004. A kinetic model for the glucose/glycine Maillard reaction pathways. Food Chem 90:257–69. , .
- 2005. Kinetics of the glucose/glycine Maillard reaction pathways: influences of pH and reactant initial concentrations. Food Chem 92:437–48. , .
- McKellarRC, LuX, editors. 2004. Modeling microbial responses in food. Boca Raton , Fla .: CRC Press.
- 1999. Use of capillary tubes and plate heat exchanger to validate U.S. Department of Agriculture pasteurization protocols for elimination of Salmonella enteritidis from liquid egg products. J Food Prot 62:112–7. , , , .
- 1999. Experimental design for product and process design and development. The Statistician 48:159–177. .
- 2003. A kinetic model for the glucose-fructose-glycine browning reaction. J Agric Food Chem 51:3651–5. , .
- 2007. A kinetic model for browning in the baking of biscuits: effects of water activity and temperature. Lebens Wissen Technol 40:1078–82. , .
- 2001. Optimal experimental design for the parameter estimation of conduction heated foods. J Food Eng 48:109–19. , , , , .
- 1994. Water activity and food polymer science: implications of state on Arrhenius and WLF models in predicting shelf life. J Food Eng 22:271–89. , .
- 2001. The modelling of heat and mass transfer. In: TijskensLMM, HertogMLATM, NicolaïBM, editors. Food process modelling. Woodhead Publishing Ltd., p 60–86. , , .
- 2006. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD)—an effective and efficient design and analysis tool for the food industry: a review. Trends Food Sci Technol 17:600–20. , .
- 2005. Introduction to food chemistry. Boca Raton , Fla .: CRC Press. .
- 2003. Calculation of the non-isothermal inactivation patterns of microbes having sigmoidal isothermal semi-logarithmic survival curves. CRC Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 43:645–58. .
- 2006a. Time to revise thermal processing theories. Food Technol 60(6):92. .
- 2006b. Advanced quantitative microbiology for foods and biosystems: models for predicting growth and inactivation. Boca Raton , Fla .: CRC Press. .
- 1998. Reinterpretation of microbial survival curves. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 38:353–80. , .
- 2002. Non-Arrhenius and non-WLF kinetics in food systems. J Sci Food Agric 82:1346–55. , , , .
- 2005. Assessing the optimal experiment setup for first-order kinetic studies by Monte Carlo analysis. Food Control 16:873–82. , , , , .
- 1996. Glass transitions in low-moisture and frozen foods: effects on shelf life and quality. Food Technol 50(11):95–108. , , .
- 1980. Modeling of quality deterioration during food processing and storage. Food Technol 34:78–85. , .
- 1978. Thermal kinetic degradation of betanin and betalamic acid. J Agric Food Chem 26:360–2. , , .
- 1999. Integrating the consumer into new product development. Food Technol 53(8):68–73. , .
- 2004. Water and solids mobility in foods. Adv Food Nutr Res 48:1–101. .
- 2001. Reliability of time temperature indicators under temperature abuse. J Food Sci 66:1337–40. , , .
- 2003. Bigelow's general method revisited: development of a new calculation technique. J Food Sci 68:1324–33. , , .
- 1991. Beyond water activity; recent advances based on an alternative approach to the assessment of food quality and safety. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 30:115–360. , .
- 2002. Monitoring of the quality of modified atmosphere packaged broiler chicken cuts stored in different temperature conditions. A. Time-temperature indicators as quality-indicating tools. Food Control 15:217–29. , , , , .
- 1996. Model discrimination and criticism with single response data. AlChE J 42:3055–62. , , .
- 1998. Discrimination and goodness of fit of multiresponse mechanistic models. AlChE J 44:1404–12. , , .
- 1989a. Applicability of time-temperature indicators as shelf life monitors of food products. J Food Sci 54:783–8. , .
- 1989b. Reliability of time-temperature indicators as food quality monitors under non-isothermal conditions. J Food Sci 54:789–92. , .
- 2000. Box on quality and discovery with design, control and robustness. New York : John Wiley & Sons. , , , , .
- 1996. Statistical aspects of kinetic modeling for food science problems. J Food Sci 61:477–85, 489. .
- 1999. Testing of kinetic models: usefulness of the multiresponse approach as applied to chlorophyll degradation in foods. Food Res Int 32:261–9. .
- 2000. Kinetic modelling in food science: a case study on chlorophyll degradation in olives. J Sci Food Agric 80:3–9. .
- 2002. On the use of the Weibull model to describe thermal inactivation of microbial vegetative cells. Int J Food Microbiol 74:139–59. .
- 2005. Technological innovation in the food industry: product design. Chapter 6. In: JongenWMF, MeulenbergMTG, ed. Innovation in agri-food systems. Product quality and consumer acceptance. Wageningen: Academic Publishers. p 147–72.
- 2007. Key reactions in foods and ways to model them. Chapter 4. In: LinnemannAR, Van BoekelMAJS, editors. Food product design. An integrated approach. Wageningen: Academic Publishers. .
- 1995. Use of kinetics in studying heat-induced changes in foods. In: FoxPF, editor. Heat-induced changes in milk. Brussels : Intl. Dairy Federation. p 22–50. , .
- 2004. Bayesian statistics and quality modelling in the agro food production chain. Kluwer Academic Press. , , .
- 2003. Physical chemistry of foods. New York : Marcel Dekker. .
- 2006. Modelling: a new solution to old problems in the food industry. Food Manuf Efficiency 1:1–7. , .
- 1993. Approach to the design of model systems for food additive-food component interactions. Food Chem 47:129–32. , , .
- 2003. Handbook of food enzymology. New York : Marcel Dekker. , , .
- 2000. The effects of different experimental designs on parameter estimation in the kinetics of a reversible chemical reaction. Chemometrics Intell Lab Syst 52:155–66. , , .