A Review of the Nutrition Claims Made by Proponents of Organic Food
Version of Record online: 29 APR 2010
© 2010 Institute of Food Technologists®
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 9, Issue 3, pages 270–277, May 2010
How to Cite
Rosen, J. D. (2010), A Review of the Nutrition Claims Made by Proponents of Organic Food. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 9: 270–277. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2010.00108.x
- Issue online: 29 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 29 APR 2010
- MS 20091037 Submitted 10/18/2009, Accepted 1/4/2010
- 2007. A comparative study of composition and postharvest performance of organically and conventionally grown kiwifruits. J Sci Food Agric 87:1228–36. , , , .
- 2003. Benzothiazole induces defence responses in berry crops. Acta Hortic 626:177–82. , , , .
- 2003. Comparison of the total phenolic and ascorbic acid content of freeze-dried and air-dried marionberry, strawberry, and corn grown using conventional, organic, and sustainable agricultural practices. J Agric Food Chem 51(5):1237–41. , , , .
- BBC. 2000. Organic food ‘no healthier’. BBC. Available from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/906530.stm . Accessed Sept 1, 2000.
- BBC. 2007. Organic produce ‘better for you’. BBC. Available from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7067100.stm . Accessed Oct 29, 2007.
- 2005. Elevating antioxidant levels in food through organic farming and food processing. Available from: http://www.organic-center.org/reportfiles/Antioxidant_SSR.pdf . .
- 2008. New evidence confirms the nutritional superiority of plant-based organic foods. The Organic Center. Available from: http://www.organic-center.org/reportfiles/5367_Nutrient_Content_SSR_FINAL_V2.pdf . Accessed Mar 2008. , , , .
- 2009a. U.K. Food Standards Agency does not reflect latest science and fails to focus on antioxidant content-a key nutritional benefit of food. The Organic Center. Available from: http://www.organic-center.org/reportfiles/Response_FSA_Study.pdf . Accessed Jul 29, 2009. , , .
- 2009b. Methodologic flaws in selecting studies and comparing nutrient concentrations led Dangour et al to miss the emerging forest amid the trees. Am J Clin Nutr 90(6):1700–1. , , .
- 2003. Fat soluble vitamin contents and fatty acid composition in organic and conventional Italian dairy products. Food Chem 82:625–31. , , , .
- 2002. A comparison of the nutritional value, sensory qualities, and food safety of organically and conventionally produced foods. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 42(1):1–34. , .
- 2001. Organic agriculture: does it enhance or reduce the nutritional value of plant foods? J Sci Food Agric 81:924–31. , .
- 2007. Effects of dietary nitrite and nitrate on myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury. PNAS 104(48):19144–9. Available from: http//:www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.0706579104 . , , , , , .
- 2008. Fatty acid and fat-soluble antioxidant concentrations in milk from high- and low-input conventional and organic systems: seasonal variation. J Sci Food Agric 88:1431–41. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Update, November 2, 2007. The Skeptik's Dictionary. Available from: http://skepdic.com/organic.html . .
- 2006. Three-year comparison of the content of antioxidant microconstituents and several quality characteristics in organic and conventionally managed tomatoes and bell peppers. J Agric Food Chem 54:8244–52. , , , , .
- 2007. Organic food ‘better than ordinary produce’. The Telegraph. Available from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567683/Organic-food-better-than--ordinary-produce.html . Accessed Oct 29, 2007. .
- Daily Mail. 2007. Proof at last that organic apples can be better for you. Daily Mail. Available from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-445252/Proof-organic-apples-better-you.html . Accessed Mar 28, 2007.
- 2009. Nutritional quality of organic foods: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr 90(3):680–85. Reports to FSA Available from: http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/organicreviewappendices.pdf (Comparison of nutrients and other substances) http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/organicreviewreport.pdf (Comparison of putative health effects). , , , , , .
- 1999. Selected phenolic compounds in cultivated plants: ecologic functions, health implications, and modulation by pesticides. Environ Health Persp Suppl 107(Suppl 1):109–14. , , , .
- 2006. Join the mission: eat 10 percent organic by 2010. Organic Center press release. Available from: http://www.organic-center.org/news.pr.php?action=detail&pressrelease_id=8 . Accessed Jul 13, 2006. .
- 2005. Phenolic compounds in oat grains (Avena satvia L.) grown in conventional and organic systems. Ambio: J Human Environ 34:331–7. , , .
- 2003. Comparison of grass and legume silages for milk production. 1. Production responses with different levels of concentrate. J Dairy Sci 86:2598–611. , , , .
- 2007. Organic food is healthier and safer, four-year EU investigation shows. The Independent. Available from: http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/organic-food-is-healthier-and-safer-fouryear-eu-investigation-shows-395483.html . Accessed Oct 29, 2007. .
- 1997. Protection against oral and gastrointestinal diseases: importance of dietary nitrate intake, oral nitrate reduction and enterosalivary circulation. Comp Biochem Physiol 118A(4):939–48. Available from: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/tcoa/producers/orginfo/health . , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- EFSA. 2008. Nitrate in vegetables: scientific opinion of the panel on contaminants in the food chain. EFSA J 689:1–79. Available from: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/EFSA/efsa_locale-1178620753812_1178712852460.htm .
- 2006. Organic milk ‘better for a healthy diet.’ Daily Mail. Available from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-402701/Organic-milk-better-healthy-diet.html . Accessed August 29, 2006. .
- 2006. Comparing the fatty acid composition of organic and conventional milk. J Dairy Sci 89:1938–50. , , , , .
- 2007. On-farm influence of production patterns on total phenol content in peach. In: NiggliU, LeifertC, AlfoldiT, LuckL, WillerT, editors. Improving sustainability in organic and low input food production systems. p 122–25. Available from: http://orgprints.org/9855/01/Fauriel-etal-2007-PeachProductionPolyphenols.pdf . , , , .
- 1985. Nitrates, nitrites and gastric cancer in Great Britain. Nature 313:620–5. , , .
- 2006. J Food Process Preserv 30:56–70. , .
- GM Free Cymru. 2009. Open letter to Tufts University Medical School. Available from: http://www.gmfreecymru.org/open_letters/Open_letter12Feb2009.html .
- 2009. Argument is about capitalism, not food. The Guardian. Available from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/01/bad-science-organic-food . Accessed Aug 1, 2009. .
- 2007. Comparison of the nutritive quality of tomato fruits from organic and conventional production in Poland. Available from: http://orgprints.org/9944/01/Hallmann__P_Final_tomato_Hohenheim_2007.pdf . , .
- 2009. The effects of stearidonic acid-enriched soybean oil on the omega-3 index and other markers abstract 1149. Circulation 120:S456. , , , , , .
- 2001a. Organic farming, food quality, and human health: a review of the evidence. Bristol , U.K. : Soil Assn. p 1–88. Available from: http://126.96.36.199/Web/SA/saweb.nsf/9f788a2d1160a9e580256a71002a3d2b/de88ae6e5aa94aed80256abd00378489/$FILE/foodqalityreport.pdf . .
- 2001b. Assessing organic food quality: is it better for you? Available from: http://orgprints.org/8361/01/Heaton_Assessing_food_quality.pdf . .
- 2007. It's not just a fad-organic food is better for you, say scientists. The Independent. Available from: http://earthhopenetwork.net/organic_food_better_for_you_say_scientists.htm . Accessed Apr 3, 2007. .
- 2009. Food sources of nitrates and nitrites: the physiologic context for potential health benefits. Am J Clin Nutr 90:1–10. Available from: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/1/1 . , , .
- 1992. Factors affecting the nutritional quality of crops. Am J Alter Agric 7:63–8. .
- 2003. Antioxidant capacity and phenolic content in blueberries as affected by genotype and growing season. J Sci Food Agric 83:1238–47. , , .
- 2009. Consolidation in the North American Organic Food Processing Sector, 1997 to 2007. Int J Sociol Agric Food 16(1):13–30. Available from: http://www.ijsaf.org/contents/16-1/howard/index.html . .
- 2003. Chitosan and chitin oligomers increase phenylalanine ammoni-lyase and tyrosine ammonia-lyase activities in soybean leaves. J Plant Physiol 160:859–63. . . .
- 1996. Nutrition and stomach cancer. Cancer Causes Control 7(1):41–55. , .
- 2008. Effect of plant cultivation methods on content of major and trace elements in foodstuffs and retention in rats. J Sci Food Agric 88(2):2161–72. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Nutritional quality and safety of organic food. A review. Agron Sustain Dev doi: 10.1051/agro/2009019. .
- 2006. Effects of dietary nitrate on blood pressure in healthy volunteers (Correspondence). N Engl J Med 355:2792–3. , , , , .
- 2007. See BBC 2007, Cockcroft 2007, Dugan 2007, Sample 2007, Ungoed-Thomas 2007. .
- 2004. Dietary intake of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids and the risk of prostate cancer. Am J Clin Nutr 80(1):204–16. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of nitrogen supply on growth, contents of phenolic compounds and pathogen (scab) resistance of apple trees. Physiologia Plantarum 123(1):49–56. , .
- 2005. A comparison of lycopene and other phytochemicals in tomatoes grown under conventional and organic management systems. AVRDC-The World Vegetable Center Technical Bulletin 34:29. Available from: http://www.avrdc.org/publications/technical_bulletin/TB34.pdf . .
- 2008. Drinking organic milk ‘may cut risk of heart attack’. Daily Mail. Available from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1022266/Drinking-organic-milk-cut-risk-heart-disease-cancer.html . Accessed May 27, 2008. .
- 2003. Organic food: nutritious food or food for thought? A review of the evidence. Int J Food Sci Nutr 54(5):357–71. , , .
- 2007. Organic's better. Admit it. The Guardian. Available from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/oct/30organicsbetteradmitit . Accessed Oct 30, 2007. .
- 2009. The case against organic food does not stand up. The Guardian. Available from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/aug/28/organic-food-health-benefits . Accessed Aug 28, 2009. .
- 2009. Organic food not healthier, says FSA. The Guardian. Available from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/29/organic-food-nutrition-fsa . Accessed Jul 29, 2009. .
- 2007. Effects of cultivar, lifting time and nitrogen fertilizer level on quercetin content in onion (Allium cepa L.) at lifting. J Sci Food Agric 87:470–6. , , .
- Montreal Gazette. 2008. Can you tell the difference? Available from: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazzette/news/arts/story.html?id=1967acb3-e992-4de4-b8ac-d76e6d1905f7 .
- [NHS] National Health Service. 2008. Nutritional content of organic milk. Available from: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/05May/Pages/Nutritionalcontentoforganicmilk.aspx .
- 2008. Effects of nitrogen fertilization on the phenolic composition and antioxidant properties of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.). J Agric Food Chem 56(18):8685–91. , .
- 2007. Improving the quality and safety of organic and low input foods and maximizing the benefits to consumers and producers. In: NiggliU, LeifertC, AlfoldiT, LuckL, WillerT, editors. Improving sustainability in organic and low input food production systems. p 15–22. Available from: http://orgprints.org/10417/2/leifert-etal-proceedings-qlif.pdf . , .
- 2008. A 3-year study on quality, nutritional and organoleptic evaluation of organic and conventional extra-virgin olive oils. J Am Oil Chemists Soc 85:151–8. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Nitrate, nitrite and nitric oxide in gastric mucosal defense. Uppsala Univ. doctoral thesis (90 p). Available from: http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-8624 . .
- 1995. Nitrosamine, nitrate and nitrite in relation to gastric cancer: a case-control study in Marseille, France. Eur J Epidemiol 11(1):67–73. , , , , .
- QLIF Workshop Report 1. Available from: http://orgprints.org/13376/01/qlif-workshop1-4p-lueck-etal-2008-foodquality%5B1%5D.doc . Accessed Jun 2008.
- 2009. Does NO metabolism play a role in the effects of vegetables in health? Nitric oxide formation via the reduction of nitrites and nitrates. Med Hypotheses 73(5):794–6. .
- 2007. Influence of processing on bioactive substances content and antioxidant properties of apple puree from organic and conventional production in Poland. Available from: http://orgprints.org/9943/01/rembialkowska-etal-2007-apple_pomace.pdf . , , .
- 2001. Antioxidative and antimutagenic activities and polyphenol content of pesticide-free and organically cultivated green vegetables using water-soluble chitosan as a soil modifier and leaf surface spray. J Sci Food Agric 81:1426–32. , , .
- 2001. Overexpression of petunia chalcone isomerase in tomato results in fruit containing increased levels of flavonols. Nature Biotech 19:470–4. , , , , , .
- 1995. Consumption of nitrate, nitrite, and nitrosodimethylamine and the risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 4:29–36. , , , .
- 2008a. Milking the facts. The Guardian. Available from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/01/organics.foodanddrink . Accessed Aug 1, 2008. .
- 2008b. Claims of organic food's nutritional superiority: a critical review. American Council on Science and Health. Available from: http://www.acsh.org/docLib/20080723_claimsoforganic.pdf . Accessed Jul 2008. .
- 1983. Effects of selected herbicides on the carotene content of summer carrots. Sci Hortic 19(1–2):33–7. , , .
- 2007. Organic food is healthier. The Guardian. Available from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct/29/organics.sciencenews . Accessed Oct 29, 2007. .
- 2007. Absence of evidence of consistent differences between organic food and traditionally produced food. Available from: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/youropinions.php?opinionid=22843 . Accessed Oct 30, 2007. .
- Soil Assn. 2002. Key findings from the organic farming, food quality and human health report 2002. Available from: http://www.whyorganic.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf/librarytitles/23382.HTMl/$file/Food%20quality%20summary.pdf .
- Soil Assn. 2007. EU-funded QLIF Project indicates nutritional benefits from organic food. Available from: http://www.fnbnews.com/article/detarchive.asp?articleid=22037§ionid=14 . Accessed Nov 3, 2007.
- Soil Assn. 2009. Available from: http://www.soilassociation.org/News/NewsItem/tabid/91/smid/463/ArticleID/97/reftab/57/t/Soil-Association-response-to-the-Food-Standards-Agency-s-Organic-Review/Default.aspx . Accessed Aug 1, 2009.
- Sourcewatch Encyclopedia. Available from: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Peter_Melchett .
- 1971. Effects of selected herbicides on provitamin A content of vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 19(5):854–6. , .
- 2000. Emerging Infectious Diseases Conference. Atlanta , GA . Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no3_supp/pdf/tauxe.pdf . .
- 2006. Influence of different types of fertilizers on the major antioxidant components of tomatoes. J Food Compos Anal 19:20–7. , , .
- 2007. Eat your words, all who scoff at organic food. The Times. Available from: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article2753546.ece . Accessed Oct 28, 2007. .
- Washington State. 2009. New food choices 2009, frequently asked questions. Available from: http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/wic/materials/food/newfoodsfaq.pdf .
- 2000. Melchett is an arrogant do-gooder. The Telegraph. Available from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/4255239/Melchett-is-an-arrogant-do-gooder.html . Accessed Sept 24, 2000. .
- 2008. Acute blood pressure lowering, vasoprotective, and antiplatelet properties of dietary nitrate via bioconversion to nitrite. Hypertension 51:784–90. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A comparison of organically and conventionally grown foods—results of a review of the relevant literature. J Sci Food Agric 74:281–93. , , , .
- 2001. Nutritional quality of organic versus conventional fruits, vegetables, and grains. J Altern Complement Med 7:161–73. .
- 2005. Phytochemical phenolics in organically grown vegetables. Mol Nutr Food Res 49:1136–42. , , , , , .
- 2007. Antioxidant capacity of leafy vegetables as affected by high tunnel environment, fertilisation and growth stage. J Sci Food Agric 87:2692–99. , , .