Food Safety Challenges within North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Partners
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2011
© 2011 Institute of Food Technologists®
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 10, Issue 2, pages 131–142, March 2011
How to Cite
Holley, R. A. (2011), Food Safety Challenges within North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Partners. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 10: 131–142. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2010.00143.x
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2011
- MS20101130 Submitted 10/2/2010, Accepted 11/29/2010.
- 2009. Factors that influence cross-border co-operation: a multidisciplinary, inductive analysis. Int Studies Assoc Ann Conv, NY. Available from http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p311536_index.html . Accessed Sept 10, 2009 , , .
- 2005. Attributing illness to food. Emerg Infect Dis 11(7):993–9. , , , , , , , and others
- 2006. Vectors and conditions for preharvest contamination of fruits and vegetables with pathogens capable of causing enteric diseases. Br Food J 108(1):38–53.
- BSI. 2008. Prerequisite programmes on food safety for food manufacturing. British Standards Institution. Available from http://www.bsigroup.com . Accessed Sept 20, 2009.
- CDC. 2006. Norovirus fact sheet. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm . Accessed Sept 5, 2009.
- CDC. 2009. Preliminary foodnet data on the incidence of infection with pathogens transmitted commonly through food – 10 states, 2008. Morb Mortal Week Rep 58(13):333–7. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5813a2:htm?s_c . Accessed Feb 15, 2010.
- CFIA. 2005. Canadian Food Inspection Agency chemical residue annual reports. Available from http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/microchem/resid/reside.shtml . Accessed Nov 14, 2010.
- CFIA. 2008. Canadian Food Inspection Agency. 2008–09 Corporate Business Plan. Section II. Analysis of program activities by strategic outcome. Available from http://www.inspection.gc.ca/English.corpaffr/busplan/2008-09/plan2008 Accessed Sept 5, 2009.
- 2010. World ranking 2010 food safety performance. Univ. of Regina report. May. Regina, SK, Canada. p 97. Available from http://www.schoolofpublicpolicy.sk.ca/_documents/_publications_reports/food_safety_final.pdf . Accessed Sept 25, 2010.
- 2006. Foodborne infections and intoxications. 3rd ed. Boston, Mass. : Elsevier. 903 p , .
- 2009. Food industry quality control systems. Boca Raton, Fla. : CRC Press. 510 p.
- CPMA. 2009. Fresh fruit and vegetable food safety in Canada. Canadian Produce Marketing Assn. Available from http://www.cpma.ca/en_food_system.asp . Accessed Feb 10, 2010.
- 2002. Bacterial contamination of animal feed and its relationship to human foodborne illness. Clin Infect Dis 35:859–65. , , .
- 2009. Public response to large-scale produce contamination. (Agr and Appl Econ Assoc). Choices 24(2):21–5. , .
- 2007. Occurrence of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in diverse farm environments. J Food Prot 70(1):6–10. , , , , , .
- 2008. Sanitation and hygiene deficienes as contributing factors in contamination of imported foods. In: DoyleMP, EricksonMC, editors. Imported foods – microbiological issues and challenges. Washington, DC : ASM Press. p 139–58. , .
- 2006. Reducing the carriage of foodborne pathogens in livestock and poultry. Poultry Sci 85:960–73. , .
- 2007. The growing threat of foodborne bacterial pathogens of animal origin. Clin Infect Dis 45:1351–61.
- ERS. 2003. Economic Research Service, USDA. International trade and food safety. ERS report #828. p 145.
- FAO/WHO. 2002a. Canada's regulatory framework and food safety program. FAO/WHO global forum of food safety regulators. Morocco . Available from http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/004/x6917e.htm . Accessed Aug 17, 2009.
- FAO/WHO. 2002b. Communicating and participation – the experience in Mexico. FAO/WHO global forum of food safety regulators. Morocco . Available from http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/004/y2122e.htm . Accessed Aug 19, 2009.
- Farm Foundation. 2006. The future of animal agriculture in North America. Available from http://www.farmfoundation.org/projects/04--32reportrelease.htm . Accessed Aug 18, 2009.
- FDA. 2010. The judicious use of medically important antimicrobials in food-producing animals. Draft guidance #209, June 28. 19 p. Available from http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/GuidanceComplianceEnforcement/GuidanceforIndustry/UCM216936.pdf . Accessed Sept 16, 2010.
- FDA/USDA. 2000. United States food safety system. Country report, 10p. Available from http://www.foodsafety.gov/~fsg/fssyst2.html . Accessed Sept 6, 2009.
- 2005. Estimating the burden of acute gastroenteritis, foodborne disease, and pathogens commonly transmitted by food: an international review. Clin Infect Dis 41:698–704. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Status and projections for foods imported into the United States. In DoyleMP, EricksonMC, editors. Imported foods – microbiological issues and challenges. Washington, DC : ASM Press.p 1–44.
- 2008. Food safety regulations applicable to imported foods. In DoyleMP, EricksonMC, editors. Imported foods – microbiological issues and challenges. Washington, DC : ASM Press. p 45–68.
- 2006. PulseNet USA: a five year update. Foodborne Path and Dis 3:9–19. , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2009. Analysis of outbreak data reported internationally for source attribution. Intl J Food Microbiol 130:77–87. , .
- 2009. Meeting report: second annual meeting of the World Health Organization initiative to estimate the global burden of foodborne diseases. Intl J Food Microbiol 133(1-2):210–2. , , , .
- 2009. Knowing which foods are making us sick. (Agr and Appl Econ Assoc) Choices 24(2):6–10.
- 2009. Emerging issues in food safety. (Agr and Appl Econ Assoc) Choices 24(2):4–5. , .
- 2009. Why can't we test our way to absolute food safety? Science 322:1641–3.
- KPMG. 2009. Performance evaluation of the Canada Health Infoway public health surveillance program. Available from http://www.infoway-inforoute.ca/documents/Infoway-PHS%20Evaluation-Final-March%202009%20--20EN.pdf . Accessed Jul 8, 2009.
- 2006. Burden and cost of gastroenteritis in a Canadian community. J Food Prot 69(3):651–9. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Coming to grips with foodborne infection – peanut butter, peppers, and nationwide Salmonella outbreaks. N Engl J Med 360(10):949–53.
- 2009a. Factors associated with the adoption of food safety controls by the Mexican meat industry. In: LiD, ChunjiangZ, editors. Computer and computing technologies in agriculture II, Vol 3. Boston, Mass. : Springer. p 1739–46. , , , .
- 2009b. Level of adoption of quality management systems into the Mexican pork industry. In: LiD, ChunjiangZ, editors. Computer and computing technologies in agriculture II, Vol 3. Boston, MA : Springer. p 1746–56. , , , , .
- 1999. Food-related illness and death in the United States. Emerg Infect Dis 5:607–25. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Occurrence of Campylobacter spp. in raw and read-to-eat foods in a Canadian foodservice operation. J Food Prot 7(10):2087–93. , , , .
- National Post. 2009. Food may be at risk: agency. July 31, 2009. Available from http://www.nationalpost.com/story-printer.html?id=1847270 . Accessed Feb 9, 2010.
- 2009. Food safety and defense risks in U.S.-Mexico produce trade. (Agr and Appl Econ Assoc) Choices 24(2):16–20. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Towards progress in food protection and defense. Minn J L Sci Technol 8(1):175–85.
- OUSTR. 2009. Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. Available from http://www.ustr.gov/tradeagreements/free-trade-agreements/north-american-free-trade-agreement-nafta . Accessed Aug 24, 2009.
- OzFoodNet. 2008. Monitoring the incidence and cause of diseases potentially transmitted by food in Australia: annual report of the OzFoodNet network, 2007. Commun Dis Intell 32:400–24.
- PHAC. 2007. Annual summary 2006. Laboratory surveillance data for enteric pathogens in Canada. Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, MB Canada. Available from http://www.nml-lam.gc.ca/english/NESP.htm . Accessed Sept 10, 2009.
- PHAC. 2008a. Lessons learned: Public Health Agency of Canada's response to the 2008 listeriosis outbreak. Available from http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/fs-sa/listeria/2008-intro-lessons-lecons-e . Accessed Sept 6, 2010.
- PHAC. 2008b. C-EnterNet short report 2007. Available from http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/c-enternet/pdf/sr2007-eng.pdf . Accessed Sept 5, 2009.
- 2005. Detecting and mitigating the environmental impact of fecal pathogens originating from confined animal feeding operations: review. U.S. Environ Protect Agency. Cincinnati, OH. (EPA/600/R-06/021). 185 p. Available from http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/pubs/600r0621.pdf . Accessed Aug 15, 2009. , .
- 2007. What do we feed to food-production animals? A review of animal feed ingredients and their potential impacts on human health. Environ Health Perspect 115:663–70. , , , .
- 2008. Aquaculture practices and potential human health risks: current knowledge and future priorities. Environ Intl 34:1215–26. , , , , , , .
- 2010. The health-related costs from foodborne illness. Report March 3, Georgetown Univ.. Available from http://www.producesafetyproject.org/admin/assets/files/Health-Related-Foodborne-Illness-Costs-Report.pdf-1.pdf Accessed Sept 25, 2010.
- 2009. Estimating the global burden of foodborne disease. Lancet Infect Dis 9:80–1.
- 2005. HACCP does not work from farm to table. Food Control 16:511–4.
- 2003. Campylobacter spp. in Icelandic poultry operations and human disease. Epidemiol Infect 130:23–32. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Traceability, liability and incentives for food safety and quality. Ann Meet Amer Agr Econ Assoc, Long Beach, CA, July. , .
- 2008. Burden of acute gastrointestinal illness in Canada, 1999–2007: interim summary of NSAGI activities. Can Comm Dis Report 34(5):8–15. Available from http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/08vol34/dr-rm3405b-e . Accessed Sept 8, 2009. , , , .
- 1997. Surveillance of foodborne disease IV. Dissemination and uses of surveillance data. J Food Prot 60:715–23. , , .
- US Army Veterinary Service 2006. Food safety and defense. Available from http://www.veterinaryservice.army.mil/food.html . Accessed Nov 13, 2010.
- USDA. 2009. FSIS 2008 National residue program data. Available from http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/2008_RedBook.pdf Accessed Nov 14, 2010.
- 2002. The dioxin crisis as an experiment to determine poultry- related Campylobacter enteritis. Emerg Infect Dis 8:19–22. , .
- 2009. Report of the independent investigator into the 2008 listeriosis outbreak. 150 pp. Listeriosis Investigative Review Secretariat, Ottawa, ON Canada. Available from http://www.listeriosis-listeriose.investigation-enquete.gc.ca/lirs_rpt_eipdf . Accessed Aug 10, 2009.
- WHO. 2008. Terrorist threats to food. 52 p Available from http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/general/en/terrorist.pdf . Accessed Aug 4, 2010.
- WHO. 2009. Children and food safety. Available from http://www.who.int/ceh/capacity/food.pdf . Accessed Nov 13, 2010.
- 2008. Integrated food chain surveillance system for Salmonella spp. in Mexico. Emerg Infect Dis 14(3):429–35. , , , , , , , , , , , .